No UKARA can i paint a camo?

Spilly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi there i was wondering if it was legal to paint a camo on my gun like the pictures below if i dont have a UKARA. Thank you and hope to hear back soon 

FR2KCENHS9Y7RYL.jpg

C6vzGdcXAAIEUeQ.jpg

Edited by Spilly

As long as you abide by the VCRA, that is, it’s painted at least 51% one of the prescribed colours, knock yourself out.

The top picture absolutely isn’t btw

15 hours ago, Spilly said:

Hi there i was wondering if it was legal to paint a camo on my gun like the pictures below if i dont have a UKARA. Thank you and hope to hear back soon 

FR2KCENHS9Y7RYL.jpg

C6vzGdcXAAIEUeQ.jpg

have you played any games yet? UKARA is just one form of defenced (for airsofters the most easily recognised) if you have and can prove it you have  defence. 

• Supporters
On 08/08/2021 at 03:57, Spilly said:

Hi there i was wondering if it was legal to paint a camo on my gun like the pictures below 

For what purpose?

Correct me if I'm wrong but UKARA is just to prove to a retailer that you are an active airsofter and therefore have a defence for buying a RIF that isn't two-tone. It's not that you can't own a black/camo/high-viz pink RIF, once it's in your possession you can do what you like with it.

3 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but UKARA is just to prove to a retailer that you are an active airsofter and therefore have a defence for buying a RIF that isn't two-tone. It's not that you can't own a black/camo/high-viz pink RIF, once it's in your possession you can do what you like with it.

Nope, it is an offence to manufacture a RIF, that is what you are doing if you paint an IF into a RIF

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Nope, it is an offence to manufacture a RIF, that is what you are doing if you paint an IF into a RIF

I feel personally wound up. :P 

Yes, it's an offence.

But it's not manufacture. It's modification, which is listed as a clear and explicit and unambiguous offence in its own right.

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Yes, it's an offence.

But it's not manufacture. It's modification, which is listed as a clear and explicit and unambiguous offence in its own right.

(b) he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

Top man, new you’d have it at the tip of your fingers 😂😂

Just now, Rogerborg said:

That was excellent quality bait.

Angry Fist GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

oh, no bait intended, I just couldn’t be arsed to look it up 🤣🤣

On 08/08/2021 at 03:57, Spilly said:

Hi Spilly

As long as it covers the gun like the lower picture then YES.

Even so, NEVER let anyone in public see it.

Edited by EDcase

1 hour ago, Madhouse said:

Corrected by the others, but UKARA is purely designed to protect the retailers

The legislation is the VCRA which doesn’t explicitly need UKARA, but sets out the different offences on sale, import, manufacture & modification

• Supporters
3 hours ago, EDcase said:

As long as it covers the gun like the lower picture then YES.

Well, maybe.  Is that "bright" blue?

Then again, PatrolBase send out hundreds of IFs a year painted in a rather nice, muted Burgundy red

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

Even so, NEVER let anyone in public see it.

And always have your reasonable excuse to hand why you have an imitation firearm (realistic or otherwise_ in your possession, i.e that you're on your way to or from an airsoft skirmish at an insured site.

3 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

I have always wondered, in my 10+ years of being into airsoft, if any authority has ever cared about painting an airsoft in any way...

I think you could search from now until we've finally flattened the COVID curve and never persuade the State to take the slightest interest in whether you've painted an IF.

As @EDcase astutely notes, it's more of an issue what you do with it.

I'm not advocating breaking any laws, and I don't know that OP has a defence. However, consider that anyone with nefarious intentions would hit it with a can of Poundland black and not give a stuff about even asking.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Then again, PatrolBase send out hundreds of IFs a year painted in a rather nice, muted Burgundy red

An imitation firearm whose principal colour is not one of those listed in the regulations does not automatically fall to be regarded as realistic, although it is more likely that will be the case. In these circumstances, the general test of whether it is distinguishable from a real firearm, taking into account its size, colour etc, should be applied. It is worth keeping in mind that the intention behind this measure is to stop the supply of imitations which look so realistic that they are being used by criminals to threaten and intimidate their victims.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

E: @SpillyYeah essentially crack on - it's an offense to manufacture a RIF, which your work might be doing, but if you've got a history of skirmishing and you're booking into future games you've got a valid defense.

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

On 09/08/2021 at 14:10, Rogerborg said:

Yes, it's an offence.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2021 at 06:10, Rogerborg said:

Yes, it's an offence.

(a) he manufactures a realistic imitation bailiff firearm;

It has to be 51% covered as stated for legal levels pre UKARA. You can of course spray it black should you choose. But if you are caught in transit with it black you will lose the gun. Perhaps wait until you have the defence.

Op i will say the same thing I say to every noobie that joins and asks this question.

Don't spray it in-front of a cop and don't be a cunt with it after you spray it.

Follow those simple rules and not one person or site in the UK is going to give a shit. 

Not even a part shit.

Nay even a nugget of a shit.

Edited by Groot

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Groot said:

Don't spray it in-front of a cop

First thing I did after spraying (well, stripping) mine was to inadvertently tell a copper.  However since he was playing airsoft at an airsoft site and I explained that I reckoned it was OK because I could demonstrate that it was for the purposes of playing airsoft (being at an airsoft site and all), we were cool.

Just like this story.

33 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

First thing I did after spraying (well, stripping) mine was to inadvertently tell a copper.  However since he was playing airsoft at an airsoft site and I explained that I reckoned it was OK because I could demonstrate that it was for the purposes of playing airsoft (being at an airsoft site and all), we were cool.

Just like this story.

Come on admit it,you were baiting him a wee bit? Lol

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Shamal said:

Come on admit it,you were baiting him a wee bit? Lol

The first I knew about his occupation was when he said "... I should stop you there and tell you that I'm a police constable..." :D 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.