Sceptical about range of rifle claimed

Luke-1418

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys, I have a guy asking if I'd swap my gun for his after ige listed it, turns ut to be a DMR and I've wanted one a while, claims to be hitting 70-80m accurately with it but I'm unsure as from what I know it takes quite a built up bolt action for that, keeping in mind it's an AEG,   Its a £250 specna arms base gun with the upgrades listed in images 

20210805_141445.jpg

Edited by Luke-1418
forgot to remove his number

It's not completely unrealistic for a well-built (not just money poured in to) DMR to be hitting 70 - 80M. There's no exact science to achieving above average range and accuracy, so it would be impossible for us to say for sure.

Not impossible, but I'm always skeptical of people claiming rifle ranges because they're usually exaggerating. Also, to me, the term "shooting accurately" means you put the crosshair where you want the BB to go and then it hits the target, not aiming above and dropping the BB onto the target as that isn't "accurate" in my eyes since the shot has a much higher chance of missing due to the various things that affect the BB's flight path (it's an air powered musket, shooting a projectile that weighs less than a gram... A bird looking at a BB funny will probably affect it's trajectory), so maybe this person saying 70 - 80m is only 60 - 65m to me.

Nothing wrong with using a cheap gun as a base though. I don't have much experience with DMRs, but I know 1J guns can generally reach out to 60m when tuned well, so 70m isn't outlandish to me for a DMR.

The distance isn’t impossible, a standard out of the box TM FNX on red gas & 0.4’s will reach 80m, but only accurate out to about 60-65.

When I say accurate, I mean a torso sized target, that sort of grouping.

And yes, distances measured with paces and a laser range finder, not guess work 🤣

I seriously doubt anybody’s work when it comes to modifying, I want to see the gun (and hence the person) AND test it first 

16 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

The distance isn’t impossible, a standard out of the box TM FNX on red gas & 0.4’s will reach 80m, but only accurate out to about 60-65.

When I say accurate, I mean a torso sized target, that sort of grouping.

And yes, distances measured with paces and a laser range finder, not guess work 🤣

I seriously doubt anybody’s work when it comes to modifying, I want to see the gun (and hence the person) AND test it first 

I need to get a range finder as I've found a clear distance between two objects at my local site, which is the max my EVO will hit (I keep forgetting to try it with the others). When I say max, I mean as you say, a torsoish sized target without "lobbing" the BB.

3 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I need to get a range finder as I've found a clear distance between two objects at my local site, which is the max my EVO will hit (I keep forgetting to try it with the others). When I say max, I mean as you say, a torsoish sized target without "lobbing" the BB.

backyard accurate is take ten normal paces, and measure the distance covered.

Divide by ten,  gives you average pace length. Then pace it, will be accurate to about 0.25m

With an AEG I'd be thinking about asking, as your image doesn't show it, if they also possibly changed the cylinder / improved the volume of air to support that very long inner barrel.

My TM 417 (tuned by a Scottish chap) can hit a zit on someone’s nose at 80m. How do I know this? I paced 80 large steps to a tree and then fired at it. Oh the zit was the size of Captain America’s shield. 🤷🏻‍♂️  😂😂😂

It’s not impossible. It can be done with the right tuning. But at the end of the day the laws of physics apply. 

Edited by AlphaBear

• Supporters

If you want to work exact ranges , all you need is a length of non stretchy cordage that has a spike at each end that’s a set measurement(when ever I need to work out a distance I’ll use a 20ft length of cord with 1ft increments marked on it with a white paint pen)spike the line at the firing point , take the length out to max , spike that end then bring the other end out and past it spike it again then repeat , you simply walk it out to the distance you want .

Really simple but equally effective .👍

• Supporters

Eh, it's probably got 10% more range than all the other made up ranges.  Relative range is what matters, not absolute.

The thing I'd flag up is that the Specna Arms Orion gearboxes have quite the reputation for cracking, so aren't the smartest base for a DMR.

Of course, I built one, but mostly out of perversity.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Luke-1418 said:

hi guys, I have a guy asking if I'd swap my gun for his after ige listed it, turns ut to be a DMR and I've wanted one a while, claims to be hitting 70-80m accurately with it but I'm unsure as from what I know it takes quite a built up bolt action for that, keeping in mind it's an AEG,   Its a £250 specna arms base gun with the upgrades listed in images 

20210805_141445.jpg

All other considerations aside, I'm a bit dubious about his claims that it has a Maxx hop unit but a VSR barrel and rubber. Pretty certain that the Maxx unit will only work with AEG rubbers.

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Lozart said:

All other considerations aside, I'm a bit dubious about his claims that it has a Maxx hop unit but a VSR barrel and rubber. Pretty certain that the Maxx unit will only work with AEG rubbers.

it could be a ml hot-shot bucking? although he also claims it's s-hopped which is a totally different setup.

i'd be asking what ammo he's using for that range, followed by the cylinder setup.

630 is a lot of barrel for a standard m4 cylinder (i'm assuming m4 but pictures could be sr i can't really tell)

^edit, scratch that, i'm evidently at the hallucinations phase of insanity, 430mm is fine for barrel length.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

although he also claims it's s-hopped which is a totally different setup

That might be a viable combination, you could s-hop a VSR barrel easily enough then slip any smoothed off bucking over it.  At UK energy levels it doesn't really seem worth it over just using an AEG barrel and Maple Leaf rubber, but if it works, it works.

• Supporters

70m sure, 80 is rare. He's saying 70-80, which means max 70.

VSR rubber won't fit an AEG. I guess he means the maple leaf AEG rubbers, which are the same colours and names as the vsr rubbers. But if it's s-hopped then it doesn't matter.

• Supporters

Oh, I hadn't spotted that he's claiming it has a VSR rubber as well. No, that's jive, man.  If he's making that up, what else is he stretching the truth on, I'd wonder.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, I hadn't spotted that he's claiming it has a VSR rubber as well. No, that's jive, man.  If he's making that up, what else is he stretching the truth on, I'd wonder.

he said vsr style maple leaf, which is what had me thinking hot-shot.

i'm still wondering why the hell you'd s-hop a ml bucking and use a vsr barrel over just using an aeg barrel with a standard maple leaf bucking.

unless he already had the barrel lying around and decided to install that instead of buying a dedicated one for the build?

If you're going into DMR land, just sell the gun you're selling and build one up so you know where it's come from, what it's got in it. As said above, they aren't the best bases to work from and there is no mention of any gearbox work.

Maybe press for some more details on it, absolute full breakdown of parts etc. If you're buying/trading it then you have every right to ask.

Huge barrel for a V2 so hopefully a full cylinder in there.

• Supporters

I think my reply to this seller would be ?

D6120A39-B99C-4892-830D-9E0B148018B3.jpeg

Just buy a DMR, then do what you want with it.  At least you will know what has been done to it, where as if you buy this you could open up a can of worms - that’s entirely your choice.

On 06/08/2021 at 16:25, Rogerborg said:

Well my straw from McD's has a very long range and fantastic grouping....😄

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.