Boafeng Uvr5 - Any good???

BoneyT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking at getting first pair of radios for me and the boy. Doing it on a budget and have looked into the Boafeng UVR5 on eBay etc. Cheap and cheerful? Or Cheap and nasty?! Would appreciate your thoughts on these specifically and alternatives, but not sets at over £50.

Thanks a million!!

The baofeng radios are cheap and work really well, although they aren't strictly speaking legal without a license due to output power, but you'll always find people using them.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Steveocee said:

Mine work absolutely fantastic. I do however own an OFCOM license to use them on dedicated frequencies so I can sneer at the peasants who don't.

Same.

5igo91.jpg

• Supporters

I've only used cheap Cobra brand PMRs and the range was meh.  Outdoors any topology would break them up and indoors I was better off shouting.  Other brands and experiences are available.

I've got a Baofeng UV-5R now with much better range.  In theory, of course, I'd never use it, you understand, as I don't have a frequency loicence.  I certainly wouldn't use it on PMR frequencies so that I can talk with people using PMRs, even though that's the safest way to ensure that it doesn't interfere with any actually important radio use.

Using them on PMR channels would be like doing 90mph on an empty motorway at 3am, while some rando frequency could be like doing 90mph at 3pm outside a school.

In other words, both illegal, but with different consequences and morality.  You shouldn't do either, it goes without saying.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I've only used cheap Cobra brand PMRs and the range was meh.  Outdoors any topology would break them up and indoors I was better off shouting.  Other brands and experiences are available.

I've got a Baofeng UV-5R now with much better range.  In theory, of course, I'd never use it, you understand, as I don't have a frequency loicence.  I certainly wouldn't use it on PMR frequencies so that I can talk with people using PMRs, even though that's the safest way to ensure that it doesn't interfere with any actually important radio use.

Using them on PMR channels would be like doing 90pm on an empty motorway at 3am, while some rando frequency could be like doing 90mph at 3pm outside a school.

In other words, both illegal, but with different consequences and morality.  You shouldn't do either, it goes without saying.

Ah but if you stick to the Business Light frequency range (for example if you were to install the free software Chirp and download the BSL frequency selections) then you would be operating in a safe frequency range that doesn't interfere with any emergency services. Plus, if the site you play at has its own business use licence for their marshals then technically you would be covered by that anyway.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

you would be operating in a safe frequency range

Like PMR?

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

that doesn't interfere with any emergency services.

Like PMR?

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Plus, if the site you play at has its own business use licence for their marshals then technically you would be covered by that anyway.

If using the same frequency, singular, which would be like crashing a burning fuel tanker plane into a school for orphaned kittens when it's being visited by blind nuns.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Like PMR?

Like PMR?

If using the same frequency, singular, which would be like crashing a burning fuel tanker plane into a school for orphaned kittens when it's being visited by blind nuns.

Like PMR, but without all that tedious mucking about with the fact that a UV-5R isn't legal on those frequencies (power too high, removable antenna).

Not like PMR though because you have more power so you'll have no issue with range. If you run it in the BSL frequency range you are running in a legal range with a handset that will be legal if the site has their own licence. The licence covers a whole range of frequencies, not just one frequency per site.

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The licence covers a whole range of frequencies, not just one frequency per site

Oh, I learned something today, I thought it was allocated frequencies, but it turns out it's "self coordination", i.e. "fight over them, peasants".

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/29272/ofw432.pdf

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, I learned something today, I thought it was allocated frequencies, but it turns out it's "self coordination", i.e. "fight over them, peasants".

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/29272/ofw432.pdf

Yeah sort of.

You get alloted 7 or 9 frequencies to use and then it's fight over them as the chance of people using those is significantly lower than the PMR stuff.

You do get individual frequencies though if you register as a site as the spectrum is then allocated on your location (assumed the site isn't moving) but the "light" license a lot of the groups use is this self coordination stuff.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Yeah sort of.

You get alloted 7 or 9 frequencies to use and then it's fight over them as the chance of people using those is significantly lower than the PMR stuff.

But if you have a UV-5R then you can start doing all that funky CTCSS stuff so other people can't hear your super secret tactical directions, even if they're on the same frequency!

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Lozart said:

But if you have a UV-5R then you can start doing all that funky CTCSS stuff

Eh, even my Cobra MT600s have CTCSS.  PMR does work, it's just that the Baofengs offer so much more functionality for just a little more money (and of course plus your loicence tithe so that Ofcom can wish you luck finding a usable frequency).

23 minutes ago, Lozart said:

But if you have a UV-5R then you can start doing all that funky CTCSS stuff so other people can't hear your super secret tactical directions, even if they're on the same frequency!

You realise how CTCSS works don't you? It doesn't stop other people hearing you. It means that everyone can still hear you but if you set it then it filters out everything that doesn't use the same ctcss code.

Try it - Set your radio to transmit with CTCSS and then get another to receive on same channel but without CTCSS and low and behold you can hear it!

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Try it - Set your radio to transmit with CTCSS and then get another to receive on same channel but without CTCSS and low and behold you can hear it!

Which can lead to much hilarity and head scratching when Alice can hear Bob, but Bob can't hear Alice.  It's easier to just try another channel without CTCSS, it's not like you'll have more than 16 channels in use on a typical airsoft site other than some massive milsim or festival.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Oneshotscott said:

So the general consensus is to buy a boefeng

Eh. PMR446 is easier, the Baofengs are a bit of a sod to program. I've got mine dialled in to the PMR channels now (of course, I have never hit the transmit button) but it was quite the chore.

1 hour ago, Oneshotscott said:

and pay the £75/5yr license? 

Sure, in the same way that I'd never exceed the speed limit, anywhere, ever, for any reason, in any circumstances.

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Oneshotscott said:

You do know those dodgy ads in general chat are actually just OFCOMS way of checking in to see who's been a good/bad boy...

That's the bit that really winds me up.  You pay £75 to Ofcom for access to a bunch of frequencies, and in return they don't enforce them.

Heck, I was tugged by the fuzz in the 1990s while running an unlicensed, over-powered CB set, "with my boots on" in the vernacular of the period. The only thing they cared about was why I was hanging out in a school car park at night - "Because it's got line of sight to all of Glasgow toon".  They didn't give a stuff about the legality of the wireless set, and I very much doubt that you could find anyone who would care about running a 2W set now unless you go out of your way to interfere with an emergency services frequency.

Mines never been out the box. I looked up how to program the buggers on YouTube and thought sod that. PMR is so much less faff. However My squad all have the Beofengs radios but no one can be arsed to program them so we go without. 

The majority of radio users at my site do the same and one of our games is a 2 hr long capture the flags type game where we have multiple objectives including the ability to unleash chem strikes on squads of enemy players but to do that you have to radio back to HQ so the use of radios is a big advantage. Plus the site has a business use licence so in theory anyone who runs within the BSL range will be covered and in theory legal. 

Edited by AlphaBear

I have these radios, they are really good.

I do not pay for a license.. Much like my movies and music

image.jpeg.39a39e99fcbe75ecfe8db553252bf0c9.jpeg

Great bits of kit, I’ve got 8 that my team use. I’ve also used them quite successfully when out off roading. 

We have noted that the range drops in really dense forested or urban areas. To counter that we’ll sometimes use VHF radios instead but then you lose the ability to talk when close to each other. 

My 10p worth, at £15-20 each you can’t go wrong. Really easy to program, solidly built, simple to use!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.