Why is gas stored in the magazines?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I immensely enjoy roleplaying and CQB training. But the problem I run into is I cannot perform quick reloads as the gas magazines cannot be dropped. I've seen some guns with gas stored in the pistol grip. So, for GBBRs to be able to perform quick reloads by dropping the magazines, what if the gun manufactures switch the storage unit of the gas to either the pistol grip or the stock? This way the magazine can be dropped and the cost of GBB Magazines will drop as well. If the stock becomes heavy then maybe they can balance the weight out with the front of the rifle. I do not know the reason as to why the gas is the magazines and this is just a thought? What do you guys think? 

Ps. Feel free to correct me as I do not understand fully on this matter 

If gas is stored internal you reduce the volume of available gas you may only have room for the same amount of gas as one mag making the gun only good for 100 or so shots. That maybe sufficient but it is restrictive and you also have the risk of the seals going mid game on the tank making the gun useless where as if a mag seal goes in game you just switch. It's been done manufacturers no longer do it

14 minutes ago, Charles Gamzer said:

@BigStew I see, is there any rifles that has gas stored internally in the market right now? This is for CQB training. As for the seals going, maybe the manufacturers can come up with something? 

Only paint ball guns have internal tanks and they make the stock over sized. An Airsoft gun with an internal gas tank probably hasn't be produced since the late 90s. For what these guns are they are cheaply made and there is no incentive for manufactures to make a gun to such a high standard that seals won't fail sooner or later. Why do you want a gas gun? If you are  looking for recoil and bolt stop on empty mags look at Tokyo marui guns. The mags are about half the price of gas guns. Just to advise if this is for real steal CQB training, neither gas or the recoil guns are going to produce any where near the same recoil as a real gun.

Edited by BigStew

• Supporters

pretty much as bigstew says.

the magazine is generally the best, if not only, location to put a reservoir that's large enough to handle a few dozen shots (ymmv depending on how well setup the gun is) and as a side benefit the reservoir will be refreshed with every reload.

generally for airsofters running a gas blowback is more for fun than practicality and we accept slower reloads as the trade off for that.

it's worth remembering airsoft's idea of a perfect cqb weapon is a pistol with an m4 magazine hanging off the bottom (which in airsoft means capacity in the 100-500 round region depending on the type of magazine used) so you just never reload.

there are systems that try to strike a balance, for example daytonagun kits (using an external tank with a line), tippmann's m4 (again with external line), or systems like the tm recoil or higher end DAS, which depending on your budget might do what you want.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

pretty much as bigstew says.

the magazine is generally the best, if not only, location to put a reservoir that's large enough to handle a few dozen shots (ymmv depending on how well setup the gun is) and as a side benefit the reservoir will be refreshed with every reload.

generally for airsofters running a gas blowback is more for fun than practicality and we accept slower reloads as the trade off for that.

it's worth remembering airsoft's idea of a perfect cqb weapon is a pistol with an m4 magazine hanging off the bottom (which in airsoft means capacity in the 100-500 round region depending on the type of magazine used) so you just never reload.

there are systems that try to strike a balance, for example daytonagun kits (using an external tank with a line), tippmann's m4 (again with external line), or systems like the tm recoil or higher end DAS, which depending on your budget might do what you want.

damn i forgot tipman actually do a buffer tube that takes two C02 bulbs but its an HPA system so no recoil and again limited number of shots, not easy to change mid game an relatively expensive to run. 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, BigStew said:

damn i forgot tipman actually do a buffer tube that takes two C02 bulbs but its an HPA system so no recoil and again limited number of shots, not easy to change mid game an relatively expensive to run. 

funny i was meaning the other way round, i swear i've seen tippmans with recoil.

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tippmann's m4 (again with external line)

the tippmann also has the benefit of dropping in a CO2 adapter kit (included with the gun)  and you can run 80 round mid cps with a CO2 bulb in the mag (if you can find the mags)

49 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

funny i was meaning the other way round, i swear i've seen tippmans with recoil.

you are thinking of the tippmann M4V2, which is a gun i own. The M4V2 can be run as HPA and it does recoil but it can also be run on CO2 mags as i described above.

i think @BigStewis thinking of the tippmann Omega

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

the tippmann also has the benefit of dropping in a CO2 adapter kit (included with the gun)  and you can run 80 round mid cps with a CO2 bulb in the mag (if you can find the mags)

is that the one where the bulb vents when you drop the mag? i mean that's one way of having drop free mags :P

17 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

you are thinking of the tippmann M4V2, which is a gun i own. The M4V2 can be run as HPA and it does recoil but it can also be run on CO2 mags as i described above.

yeah, met one at a site once, seemed as good a kick as i've seen from any airsoft gun.

18 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

i think @BigStewis thinking of the tippmann Omega

i really whish they did some non m4 guns

If it is cqb surely a gas shotgun could be what you are looking for? Although that is not a quick reload either. 

What i have found to speed up my reload is bringing the full one out in off hand, 'stacking' the mags then as you drop the empty out the full one can slide in, then empty can go in dump pouch. Means you have a loaded gun even if your hands are not on for same time....if that makes sense....

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Charles Gamzer said:

So I immensely enjoy roleplaying and CQB training. But the problem I run into is I cannot perform quick reloads as the gas magazines cannot be dropped. I've seen some guns with gas stored in the pistol grip. So, for GBBRs to be able to perform quick reloads by dropping the magazines, what if the gun manufactures switch the storage unit of the gas to either the pistol grip or the stock? This way the magazine can be dropped and the cost of GBB Magazines will drop as well. If the stock becomes heavy then maybe they can balance the weight out with the front of the rifle. I do not know the reason as to why the gas is the magazines and this is just a thought? What do you guys think? 

Logistics of where the gas is stored aside, if you're doing CQB training then a "quick reload" should be a tactical reload not an emergency reload. If you're talking about target shooting and trying to get reloads down to the lowest possible then that's another thing altogether.

Equally, why do you say "gas magazines can't be dropped"? Other than maybe damaging a feed lip what other damage are they realistically going to suffer?

18 hours ago, Charles Gamzer said:

Dump pouch….train your quick reloads and save money by not damaging your magazines.

Edited by Sneaky

5 hours ago, Lozart said:

Logistics of where the gas is stored aside, if you're doing CQB training then a "quick reload" should be a tactical reload not an emergency reload. If you're talking about target shooting and trying to get reloads down to the lowest possible then that's another thing altogether.

Equally, why do you say "gas magazines can't be dropped"? Other than maybe damaging a feed lip what other damage are they realistically going to suffer?

Equally why would you drop any mags?

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Because he likes giving away free mags to the chavs at his local cqb site maybe?

To the op- As someone who prefers cqb trust me no one other than the retards who think they look tacticool drop their mags on the floor. 

Good players have big pockets or dump pouches because no one looks more stupid than Spec ops Jimmy wandering around looking for all the mags he lost so he can play the next game.

25 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Good players have big pockets or dump pouches because no one looks more stupid than Spec ops Jimmy wandering around looking for all the mags he lost so he can play the next game.

….. or xxxxx who used my gun with a camouflage paint scheme and lost most of my magazines in the first game of the day (because they are camouflaged)

Then spent the rest of the day reloading one magazine, and at the end of the day hunting the lost ones again, roped in others to help him look for the lost ones ….  

and finally when telling me they were lost and going off together for a last look around ——

“Where did you start & where did you go for the first game?”

”I ran over to there, sat by that bush, shot some players then went over to….”

”Do you mean that bush over there? The one with a stack of magazines beside it?”

(Dare I mention that this was an urban game with few spots of green which should have reduced the number of places needing to be ‘searched’ as camouflage stands out a bit on grey concrete)

Edited by Tommikka

5 hours ago, Tommikka said:

….. or xxxxx who used my gun with a camouflage paint scheme and lost most of my magazines in the first game of the day (because they are camouflaged)

Then spent the rest of the day reloading one magazine, and at the end of the day hunting the lost ones again, roped in others to help him look for the lost ones ….  

and finally when telling me they were lost and going off together for a last look around ——

“Where did you start & where did you go for the first game?”

”I ran over to there, sat by that bush, shot some players then went over to….”

”Do you mean that bush over there? The one with a stack of magazines beside it?”

(Dare I mention that this was an urban game with few spots of green which should have reduced the number of places needing to be ‘searched’ as camouflage stands out a bit on grey concrete)

*facepalms*

Im guessing thats the last time xxxxx borrowed anything from you?

• Supporters
6 hours ago, BigStew said:

Well, yes. Exactly. Why have so many people fallen down the rabbit hole that they have to make super duper extra fast mag changes?

9 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Why is gas stored in the magazines?’ 

Because it keeps leaking out when you try to store it in your pocket .

That's very true. I know the gas gets out out my trousers pretty damb quick!😳

Op, run a big dump pouch and just practice your reloads. 

It' not life and death but you can get pretty quick without flinging your mags to the ground.

Trust me.. I am a huge proponent throwing mags around. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.