table top wargamers

remus

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, lukeB said:

Blood bowl was by far the best game.

And is an actual game based on tactics rather than who can buy the most £30 figures made of pure cheesium.

6 hours ago, lukeB said:

I'm surprised people still play the table top given the costs these days, especially when you have some decent GW video games.  

From what I can determine from the 40K groups on Facebook, it's more about the collecting, painting and army building rather than the actual play.

I must have suffered a bump on the head at work because I was considering getting back into 40k. I used to play after school (shit.....22 years ago) for a while but then I found girls and just painted in secret 🤣🤣

I thought it might make a nice winter hobby doing a bit of painting but I decided against it in the end. After adding up all the money I intended on spending on miniatures, paint and the time, I could get some pretty sweet pew pew things and just play the new Age of Empires 4 instead!!

My mate Dave still paints and has been featured in white dwarf a number of times over the past 20 years! He is good! 🤣

• 1 month later...

Wow, so I thought I'd wade in. I used to collect, paint and play 40k back in the early 90's... then, like has already been mentioned.... girls!!!

But recently I've started listening to the various black library audio books which has spurred me to getting back into painting. Yeah they're expensive,  but honestly... I don't think the hobby is any more or less affordable than in 1994.

I can't speak for what people have said regarding GW not allowing old models in tourneys so as to sell newer stuff. Sounds kinda dickish.

I do love the 40k universe and models and really enjoy painting. Doubt I'll ever play though.

On 26/10/2021 at 09:08, leadly said:

but then I found girls

I don’t know this for sure, but there must be girls in 40k gaming.  I’ve seen them in fantasy gaming cosplay (not just the ones in an armoured bikini)

There are also girls in the gaming sections of comicons I’ve been too

….. and there are also girls in airsoft - I’ve seen them with my own eyes

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

I don’t know this for sure, but there must be girls in 40k gaming.  I’ve seen them in fantasy gaming cosplay (not just the ones in an armoured bikini)

There are also girls in the gaming sections of comicons I’ve been too

….. and there are also girls in airsoft - I’ve seen them with my own eyes

I was like 12 maybe 13 at the time (34 now) and my network of 40k stretched to about 3 or 4 other people. All of those male, a few being my mates and one being a teaching assistant who let us play magic the gathering with him at dinner and 40k once a week after school.

I'm not in anyway saying girls playing 40k was / is some kind of myth. I'm just stating that my desire to touch boobs was greater than my desire to play 40k 😂

• Supporters
18 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

I don't think the hobby is any more or less affordable than in 1994.

Back in the day (early 90s for me too) you could get away with substitutes (£10 for 50 "Space Rangers"), or kitbashing (an Airfix or Revell M113 serving as the base for a Rhino).

18 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

I can't speak for what people have said regarding GW not allowing old models in tourneys so as to sell newer stuff. Sounds kinda dickish.

From what I've seen, you'll be as welcome as a vampire in a church bringing anything not in the Codex-of-the-month into even a casual game in-store.

8 hours ago, Tommikka said:

there must be girls in 40k gaming

Cosplay, sure, plenty of Tau weeb-girls and Sororitas thots, milfs and even gilfs.

image.thumb.png.aa5896ab4bd503e1d80cdfe42ca26bbd.png

But the actual gaming, I've never seen or heard of one, anywhere, ever.   Given the absolute state of the Facebook 40K groups, which are mostly big-tiddy bondage perv memes, it's really not fem-friendly at all.  The Imperium of Man, indeed.

I have the imperial eagle patch and the amount of times other airsofters come upto me to salk about 40k is great!

I have been playing 40k since 1st, but mostly paint for my ever expanding Guard army (and some other imperial factions!).

When the other painters get together for some gaming, we do have a good laugh.

This is my paining and airsfot page.

https://www.instagram.com/silentsmoke13/?hl=en-gb

Will take some photos of the guard army at some point.

19 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Everybody loves bolter bitches. :D 

I went off space marines for years after reading the Heresy series.  Took a while for me to come round to having a a very small marine force.

This is the extent of my collection, mostly imperial guard. I have recently got into Flames of War.

The Emperor Protects!

9DED056C-FD71-4FAB-90D6-11282D3F335D.jpeg

2E318B4D-606D-40A5-9995-4BB5BF727644.jpeg

1C0395F2-06FE-4277-83AC-EA2E2D5FCF96.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 09:30, Sneaky said:

I went off space marines for years after reading the Heresy series.  Took a while for me to come round to having a a very small marine force.

This is the extent of my collection, mostly imperial guard. I have recently got into Flames of War.

The Emperor Protects!

9DED056C-FD71-4FAB-90D6-11282D3F335D.jpeg

2E318B4D-606D-40A5-9995-4BB5BF727644.jpeg

1C0395F2-06FE-4277-83AC-EA2E2D5FCF96.jpeg

That's an awesome collection. I've been back into painting models for less than 2 years and am so slow. Got half a dozen Astartes, a Noise Marine and an imperial Knight painted. Currently painting a Keeper of secrets. I'd love to paint up an army like you have but I need to get better, faster and more consistent

6 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

That's an awesome collection. I've been back into painting models for less than 2 years and am so slow. Got half a dozen Astartes, a Noise Marine and an imperial Knight painted. Currently painting a Keeper of secrets. I'd love to paint up an army like you have but I need to get better, faster and more consistent

Thanks man. I have been collecting for over 30 years now. Just take your time painting and enjoy it. I’m more of a painter than a gamer, but slowly playing more games now. Checkout my page on Instagram: silentsmoke13 or on Facebook “silentsmoke’s forces of the imperium”

23 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Thanks man. I have been collecting for over 30 years now. Just take your time painting and enjoy it. I’m more of a painter than a gamer, but slowly playing more games now. Checkout my page on Instagram: silentsmoke13 or on Facebook “silentsmoke’s forces of the imperium”

Ah unfortunately I don't have either Facebook or Instagram accounts, but from what I can see before I'm instructed to sign in/sign up looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have got back into painting minis since the first lockdownnd have been enjoying getting back into the hobby. I was a huge GW nerd as an early teenager and yeah it has changed SO much. The number of editions and rule revisions is staggering, the cost of minis went to a ridiculous place and although still very expensive for what they are GW are doing a good job of making box sets to make it affordable and also there are smaller scale skimish games (think 40k or warhammer but with 1 squad vs 1 squad rather than armies).

And there is a huge interest for early edition games and models with some original models selling for stupid money. I cry at the amount of stuff my mum must have chucked out when I moved out and what its now worth on ebay and the sales channels.

Also lots and lots of companies making and people 3d printing proxy models means getting into the hobby now can be cheap as anything. I know people who have printed whole armies for next to nothing and only needed to buy the rulebook to play.

Yeah GW frown upon proxies and making your own and the true neckbeards will always grumble about this but its the same in airsoft with the geardos and cryebabies. But I play a few of the smaller skirmish games at a gaming cafe and almost every single table/game when I am there has a proxy or homemade printed model on each table when I look around. Playing in GW stores is a thing of the past now as most of the shops have closed.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

know people who have printed whole armies for next to nothing and only needed to buy the rulebook to play.

The Inquisition would like to know their location.

inquisition.gif.352aaf830c19b3f5d70ff310a68c81b2.gif

Playing in GW stores is a thing of the past now as most of the shops have closed.

Huh, actually more than I thought still open.  Glasgow, Edinburgh and Perth up here.  Mostly independents though, and I doubt they give so much of a stuff about purging the heretic as long as they're turning a few £££ on the occasional Codex or piece of plastic crack.

As I understand it, GW are still hugely profitable, although it'll be interesting to see how long that continues if they don't keep getting Little Johnny hooked with starter packs.

image.png.aeaccb72035866b6c9213300b53711d4.png

I have got back into painting minis since the first lockdownnd have been enjoying getting back into the hobby. I was a huge GW nerd as an early teenager and yeah it has changed SO much. The number of editions and rule revisions is staggering, the cost of minis went to a ridiculous place and although still very expensive for what they are GW are doing a good job of making box sets to make it affordable and also there are smaller scale skimish games (think 40k or warhammer but with 1 squad vs 1 squad rather than armies).

And there is a huge interest for early edition games and models with some original models selling for stupid money. I cry at the amount of stuff my mum must have chucked out when I moved out and what its now worth on ebay and the sales channels.

Also lots and lots of companies making and people 3d printing proxy models means getting into the hobby now can be cheap as anything. I know people who have printed whole armies for next to nothing and only needed to buy the rulebook to play.

Yeah GW frown upon proxies and making your own and the true neckbeards will always grumble about this but its the same in airsoft with the geardos and cryebabies. But I play a few of the smaller skirmish games at a gaming cafe and almost every single table/game when I am there has a proxy or homemade printed model on each table when I look around. Playing in GW stores is a thing of the past now as most of the shops have closed.

I’m glad I kept all my old stuff. Seeing the prices one eBay are eye watering and makes me happy that I didn’t part with mine, nor the books.

• Root Admin
6 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

I've been playing around with the Sonic Mini 8K this week. Providing the model sculpters themselves can keep up - as they have been able to do already - these machines will probably exceed the quality of the GW cast resin minis (but be shy of the injection moulded classics) whilst being about 80-90% as durable. You're not going to see this from many quarters yet though as most are only just moving to 4K from the old 2K machines. Resin is also silly expensive for many.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.