Tm vsr 10 g spec upgrade to 500fps

KOBK81

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been trawling the net and it would appear that there are so many different variations when it comes to upgrades. Everyone has a different method. I've devised a selection of parts based on my research and i woukd like to find your opinions on my choices

Action army trigger box+piston

Laylax spring guide

Maple leaf stainless cylinder

M150 spring

Pdi hop chamber

Maple leaf macaron 60 deg 

Zci 6.02 barrel 

I'm going to diy the barrel stabilisers

Your opinions will be welcomed

Do you already own the Tokyo Marui variant? If not, get a clone instead, something like a CYMA 701.B, or a JG BAR 10. They're a fraction of the cost and compatible with upgrades, if you're stripping everything out you won't be missing much. Only reason I bought a TM years back was every clone at the time was out of stock and I wanted a boltie 😓 Hell, you could maybe look at something like an Action Army T11, comes with a 90 degree trigger and piston already. Depends on if you like the styling I guess.

PDI chamber is meh, no need for the double bar system, it's more fiddly than it's worth. Grab the action army hop unit instead, much better and functions as a TDC without needing a TDC (you can still add one if you desire later down the line). Along with that you'll need a VSR cut barrel and a bucking, any nice stainless steel barrel paired with something like a Maple Leaf autobot/MR hop will be great, grab a panthera nub as well for a more even distribution of pressure on the hop.

When it comes to springs grab a rapax 2J (I've only heard good things about these) or a PDI 450, along with a 9mm spring guide of some variety. Makes the bolt pull a lot easier than a standard M150 due to the increased diameter of the spring.

1 hour ago, Shaydee said:

Do you already own the Tokyo Marui variant? If not, get a clone instead, something like a CYMA 701.B, or a JG BAR 10. They're a fraction of the cost and compatible with upgrades, if you're stripping everything out you won't be missing much. Only reason I bought a TM years back was every clone at the time was out of stock and I wanted a boltie 😓 Hell, you could maybe look at something like an Action Army T11, comes with a 90 degree trigger and piston already. Depends on if you like the styling I guess.

PDI chamber is meh, no need for the double bar system, it's more fiddly than it's worth. Grab the action army hop unit instead, much better and functions as a TDC without needing a TDC (you can still add one if you desire later down the line). Along with that you'll need a VSR cut barrel and a bucking, any nice stainless steel barrel paired with something like a Maple Leaf autobot/MR hop will be great, grab a panthera nub as well for a more even distribution of pressure on the hop.

When it comes to springs grab a rapax 2J (I've only heard good things about these) or a PDI 450, along with a 9mm spring guide of some variety. Makes the bolt pull a lot easier than a standard M150 due to the increased diameter of the spring.

Hi thanks for your input. Yes the tm has already been purchased. My train of thought regarding the pdi hop chamber was due to the fact i can use an aeg barrel and hop rubber and ive had great results using zci and ML that and i can get the barrels cheap from a local dealer. I shall take your advice on board and see what i can get price wise. Thanks for the heads up on the spring. That may have been the reason my as02 was so hard to pull as I used a m150 spring. 

You have all the parts you need. Really brands aside, they are all much of a muchness. 

You could probably forego the barrel. I have build Gspecs with and without upgraded barrels and noticed no difference in accuracy, except in higher FPS with a tighter one. 

Just be aware that you want your end output to be around 450-460 fps on 0.2s. As with heavier ammo, it can throw it way over site limits with Joule creep. 

Not what I'd have chosen, but all solid choices. You'll find your life easier with the TM version than the clone ones, as while they're "compatible" with each other, there are tiny inconsistencies between the brands that can be annoying. For example, the 50rd Action Army magazines fit perfectly in my TM VSR, but I have to loosen a bolt on the JG BAR-10 to get them to click into place, however loosening it too much causes feeding issues.

Also, be prepared to clip the spring or swap it out later down the line. Yes, a 150 spring should give you the power you want, but you really won't know the power output until you finish the build and test it with the ammo you intend to use. When I built my first VSR I stuck a 150 spring in it and it came out at 2.9J. I'm now running a Rapax 2J spring... that is at 2.6J so I'm going to get it clipped.

However, I'll go over each part in detail:

Personally, I think the Springer Custom Works S-trigger is the best VSR trigger on the market. I also highly rate his piston and spring guide, but I have no experience with the Action Army ones so can't really make a comparison.

For cylinder, the Maple Leaf one is as decent a choice as any. I use a Laylax one and honestly you can just use the stock one, but the TM cylinder requires some precision drilling to open and to someone like me who doesn't have the tools to do so, I'd just say get an after market cylinder. I don't think there's a massive difference between various VSR cylinders.

M150 spring? Already said my piece on springs. 150 should do it, but don't be too put out if it runs hot. Just clip a few coils. I do think the Rapax springs are the best, but if you're getting a Rapax spring, you'd need a 9mm spring guide (Springer Custom Works do one, they also do a sleeve that goes on their 7mm one to convert it). The difference is 9mm springs are generally easier to pull back and when sniping you want to minimise as much movement as possible, but keep the movement you have to do slow and deliberate, so having an easy bolt pull allows you to pull it back slowly and deliberately, which is less likely to be seen than jerking it back.

No idea on the PDI hop chamber. PDI stuff is usually pretty damn good, but if it's built like the stock chamber then I'm not a fan. I way prefer the Action Army hop chamber and have it in both of my VSR builds!

Maple Leaf macaron is an AEG bucking, I believe? They're fantastic and I have one in my Cyma m14 build, but VSR buckings are the envy of the world, so I'd go for a traditional VSR bucking. Again, Maple Leaf are great for this and I highly praise the new silicone rubbers. I've got a silicone Autobot rubber in both of my VSRs and it's ridiculous. 80 degree in my HPA VSR (silicone ones are softer than regular) and 60 degree in my spring build with a weird hop arm that made an 80 degree send .48s into the stratosphere.

I've heard great things about ZCI barrels, though if they're bridged I don't like them for the VSR. As I said above, VSR rubbers are amazing, but they need unbridged barrels like a Laylax or Maple Leaf Crazy Jet, so I'd go with Laylax because I've had the same stainless steel barrel in my VSR for 12 years now. Barrel bore won't make a huge difference (I like 6.03mm as the middleground), but stainless steel will last a loooong time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2021 at 16:35, Impulse said:

Not what I'd have chosen, but all solid choices. You'll find your life easier with the TM version than the clone ones, as while they're "compatible" with each other, there are tiny inconsistencies between the brands that can be annoying. For example, the 50rd Action Army magazines fit perfectly in my TM VSR, but I have to loosen a bolt on the JG BAR-10 to get them to click into place, however loosening it too much causes feeding issues.

Also, be prepared to clip the spring or swap it out later down the line. Yes, a 150 spring should give you the power you want, but you really won't know the power output until you finish the build and test it with the ammo you intend to use. When I built my first VSR I stuck a 150 spring in it and it came out at 2.9J. I'm now running a Rapax 2J spring... that is at 2.6J so I'm going to get it clipped.

However, I'll go over each part in detail:

Personally, I think the Springer Custom Works S-trigger is the best VSR trigger on the market. I also highly rate his piston and spring guide, but I have no experience with the Action Army ones so can't really make a comparison.

For cylinder, the Maple Leaf one is as decent a choice as any. I use a Laylax one and honestly you can just use the stock one, but the TM cylinder requires some precision drilling to open and to someone like me who doesn't have the tools to do so, I'd just say get an after market cylinder. I don't think there's a massive difference between various VSR cylinders.

M150 spring? Already said my piece on springs. 150 should do it, but don't be too put out if it runs hot. Just clip a few coils. I do think the Rapax springs are the best, but if you're getting a Rapax spring, you'd need a 9mm spring guide (Springer Custom Works do one, they also do a sleeve that goes on their 7mm one to convert it). The difference is 9mm springs are generally easier to pull back and when sniping you want to minimise as much movement as possible, but keep the movement you have to do slow and deliberate, so having an easy bolt pull allows you to pull it back slowly and deliberately, which is less likely to be seen than jerking it back.

No idea on the PDI hop chamber. PDI stuff is usually pretty damn good, but if it's built like the stock chamber then I'm not a fan. I way prefer the Action Army hop chamber and have it in both of my VSR builds!

Maple Leaf macaron is an AEG bucking, I believe? They're fantastic and I have one in my Cyma m14 build, but VSR buckings are the envy of the world, so I'd go for a traditional VSR bucking. Again, Maple Leaf are great for this and I highly praise the new silicone rubbers. I've got a silicone Autobot rubber in both of my VSRs and it's ridiculous. 80 degree in my HPA VSR (silicone ones are softer than regular) and 60 degree in my spring build with a weird hop arm that made an 80 degree send .48s into the stratosphere.

I've heard great things about ZCI barrels, though if they're bridged I don't like them for the VSR. As I said above, VSR rubbers are amazing, but they need unbridged barrels like a Laylax or Maple Leaf Crazy Jet, so I'd go with Laylax because I've had the same stainless steel barrel in my VSR for 12 years now. Barrel bore won't make a huge difference (I like 6.03mm as the middleground), but stainless steel will last a loooong time.

So an update on the build. I opted for an AA malamune cylinder, crazy jet barrel and an autobot rubber. I'm happy with how it operates and i've managed to keep it pretty quiet still. It's pushing 490fps but the joules are 1.59j that can't be right surely. I was hoping for over 2j with the rapax spring. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.