Take the hint , it ain’t selling !

Druid799

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Basically what the title says ,  not just on this forum though but it’s pretty much on all sales forums . You’d think when their ‘100% pukka seal team 6 3/4’ers chest rig’ still hasn’t sold at their asking price for mths and mths that the 5watt bulb would start to flicker ? but nope not a chance , week in week out these sellers just keep on reposting it without dropping the price and refusing to accept lower offers for it .

if it hasn’t sold at the price you think it’s worth after 6/7/8/9ths/etc (Christ there’s one seller on zeromong who’s got multiple items that are on3-4 pages of bumps because he won’t drop his prices) so don’t they think it’s time to either drop the price or give up tormenting them selves with unachievable prices ?😳

• Supporters

yep, some folk are just too persistent.

ok sure if it's something weird enough that you're talking a very small market then ok you might expect it'd take a while to shift but run of the mill kit?

think the longest thing i had listed was the f2000, and granted it ended up going for less than i'd have liked. but dont think i bumped it more than a couple of times without also dropping the price.

1 minute ago, Chev Chelios said:

And when you finally go to buy it after all that time its unavailable :( https://www.amazon.com/LubeLife-Personal-Lubricant-Lube-Parabens/dp/B07FMGNV51

Bloody hell mate! You planning a fun weekend  or what? 😉😄

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Bloody hell mate! You planning a fun weekend  or what? 😉😄

Only if they sell it by the gallon ! 😘

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

My theory is that they don't really want to sell.  They only listed because their missus ordered them to get back what they (actually) paid for their toys, even if they paid over the odds.  Then they get caught up in a dick-measuring contest about not taking one penny less than their asking price.

Pretty sure that’s it 🤣

9 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

My theory is that they don't really want to sell.  They only listed because their missus ordered them to get back what they (actually) paid for their toys, even if they paid over the odds.  Then they get caught up in a dick-measuring contest about not taking one penny less than their asking price.

Similar situation with me once, not female influence but the sensible corner of my brain regarding keeping hold of an > £1500 gun that I only used once or twice, leant out more than I used it and also in a period of time where there was a fair second hand market.

I had no need for the money, chose my bottom price - if too low then I may as well keep it in the armoury.

So I listed it and took it out for ‘a last play’

Then waited

I think it took nearly two years to sell

I got offers of £200 & £300, and disgruntled messages when I rejected them :

Its not worth it - (it either is or isn’t, in which case I’m not selling )

If I want to sell it / need the money I’ll have to accept low offers - (I don’t want / need to sell, I don’t have to accept any offers )

It’s cheaper new nowadays - I’m not asking anywhere near to the new price & that ‘cheaper’ one is a smaller version 

(The ‘standard full’ version held its new price, the cheaper one didn’t have the full foregrip, stock, case, extras - and you could now buy them as addons.

(buy a new one then)

This limited edition colour scheme isn’t so special 

(buy a standard colour then)

Its old, second hand, battered etc

(yes to the first two, hence the second hand price, it just has a bit of rub on the barrel tip, otherwise it’s mint with a very low shot count - if you don’t like mine for my price then don’t buy it)

Its not limited edition, and is still available in the UK at X shop

(No it’s not available, try buying it from them then …. Try hazarding a guess as to why one UK shop lists it but the manufacturer & their home country, and no where else in the world does - either they have one they’ve been sitting on, or it’s just still on their catalogue as they list everything as in stock.  However I knew they didn’t have it)

After replying to or ignoring many messages one day I get an offer, accept, sell.  I’m happy he’s happy …… and bearing in mind that I bought it on a trade price - which I think they got wrong due to how low I paid or subsidised my price, and sold at not much less I was very happy 

I'm selling some board games and miniature stuff on ebay right now.

"What's the cheapest you'll accept for this?"

"Well I listed it with a starting bid of 150 quid, so... 150 quid."

"I only want it for spares."

"OH THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE LET ME SELL IT TO YOU FOR A TENNER."

10 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Sir - I think you have hit the proverbial nail on its proverbial head !!!

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, noctu said:

"What's the cheapest you'll accept for this?"

"Well I listed it with a starting bid of 150 quid, so... 150 quid."

Oh yea I love this one too , not how it works , I ask a price , you offer an amount AND then we keep going till we reach a price I’m happy with .

just tell them “ok I’ll take £120 for it” they say “go on then” you then come back with “great ! so that’s £120 for the XYZ , AND with fees plus P&P Added , oh that’ll be £150 then .” 😇

27 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Oh yea I love this one too , not how it works , I ask a price , you offer an amount AND then we keep going till we reach a price I’m happy with .

just tell them “ok I’ll take £120 for it” they say “go on then” you then come back with “great ! so that’s £120 for the XYZ , AND with fees plus P&P Added , oh that’ll be £150 then .” 😇

Also, it's fucking ebay, it's an auction mate. Why would I want an early cash sale unless I was convinced nobody was going to bid the asking price? Because clearly I'm that much of an idiot that I'd list it with an initial bid price that nobody is going to pay...

Someone just bid 160 quid anyway, get in.

I won't post the three pistols here that sum up the train of thought with this thread, but everyone who has looked at the gas pistols section knows the ones i mean. 

When i joined the forum years (shit, that long?!) They were one of the first ads i saw. Sure they are pretty and there is even a guy on fb that has the whole (as in fuck me sideways thats a lot of cash in that) collection of toys. But seriously no one is buying at that price. 

21 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

My theory is that they don't really want to sell.

I do this sometimes but nothing to do with the Missus. I'm fortunate enough to have the disposable income to buy toys and still have plenty left over to pay for more important things. I just don't particularly enjoy having guns which won't be in my top three to skirmish. So I will list something and if it doesn't sell for what I would be happy with, so be it. I've never been desperate to move something on. More like just so I can justify (to myself) buying something new.

Actually typing that in full has brought me to a moment of great realisation....why am I trapped in this loop!? I already have plenty of guns and need to stop looking out of boredom, chasing the thrill of a delivery...thanks you've been a massive help!

8 hours ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

I won't post the three pistols here that sum up the train of thought with this thread, but everyone who has looked at the gas pistols section knows the ones i mean. 

When i joined the forum years (shit, that long?!) They were one of the first ads i saw. Sure they are pretty and there is even a guy on fb that has the whole (as in fuck me sideways thats a lot of cash in that) collection of toys. But seriously no one is buying at that price. 

Oh you mean the type of Airsoft gun that's "bought as an investment" because in five years it'll be worth thousands 😬

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I'm fortunate enough to have the disposable income to buy toys and still have plenty left over to pay for more important things.  

Similar’ish sort of scenario for me , not that I have an excess of beer tokens just I have a low limit credit card(750)that I have for exclusively ‘none essential’ purchases , if I buy something with it it’s not used again until that item is paid off plus I know I can always pay it off within 3mths max out of the ‘leftover’ money at the end of the mth .

Ive always been of the mind that once a gun is paid off that’s it and I’m not going to sell guns to buy new ones , if I do sell it’s because I don’t want it for what ever reason  simple as that for me . 

I do get where you're coming from. But on some items that are nearer the 1k mark, I'd bump a few times. Because some items are worth their value all day long, and gives people chance to find the funds. 

But on flip side I have seen people sell clone items and wanting real steel prices. 

On 24/07/2021 at 21:52, Cr0-Magnon said:

Oh you mean the type of Airsoft gun that's "bought as an investment" because in five years it'll be worth thousands

I can see how some people could kid themselves into something like that.But these pistols don't look like that. 

Are there any toys that airsofters  that would pay thousands for? Collector editions or whatever?

1 minute ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

I can see how some people could kid themselves into something like that.But these pistols don't look like that. 

Are there any toys that airsofters  that would pay thousands for? Collector editions or whatever?

When the most recent RE TM Desert Eagle was released a few years back (2018?), people were tripping over themselves to pay £450+ for it. Then proudly declaring "I'm not even going to break the cellophane, that way it's an investment"

Have you ever seen one of those full steel kit $2000+ Airsoft guns you can find often out of stock on Asian Airsoft sites, so I guess somebody must be paying that for them. I remember shaking my head at the Robin Hood Tactical Desert Eagle kit which was just a metal (I would assume steel), body kit for a TM DE and sold out fast at £850.

On 24/07/2021 at 21:52, Cr0-Magnon said:

Actually typing that in full has brought me to a moment of great realisation....why am I trapped in this loop!? I already have plenty of guns and need to stop looking out of boredom, chasing the thrill of a delivery...thanks you've been a massive help!

What you need to do, my friend, is use a mail forwarding service. Pack up something you own, post it out to a forwarding service with the final delivery address set as your own. Boom, all the thrill of a delivery without adding new stuff to the collect. Cheaper than a new rif too!

9 minutes ago, Encore said:

What you need to do, my friend, is use a mail forwarding service. Pack up something you own, post it out to a forwarding service with the final delivery address set as your own. Boom, all the thrill of a delivery without adding new stuff to the collect. Cheaper than a new rif too!

Ahh don't, I'm getting flashbacks of Valentines Day when I was a teenager!

Op, I don't entirely agree with you. Something is worth, what someone else is willing to pay for it. 

Yes. If it's a commodity, then you are at the whim of the market.

If it is more niche and you are willing to wait. You will more often than not, get what you want for it. 

People are just seen used to getting stuff below what it is truly worth, because most sellers seem rather keen to sell something as fast as possible. 

When I sell something, it is because I have no need for it. Not because I need the money.
So I set the price that I want and I wait. Unless I am mistaken about its value, it will sell. 

image.png.c40b80ce4dae0a28120cb3832a0af3df.png

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Groot said:

Op, I don't entirely agree with you. Something is worth, what someone else is willing to pay for it. 

I do agree with this comment 100% , what ever your selling is worth what someone is willing to pay for it . BUT I think you’ve missed the point of my post , my point is there are items for sale that have been up for sale for mths or even years that NO ONE is ever going to buy at the asking price but the sellers blindly refuse to drop their asking price at all , that’s what my post is about . 👍 

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Groot said:

Something is worth, what someone else is willing to pay for it. 

OK.

10 hours ago, Groot said:

People are just seen used to getting stuff below what it is truly worth

OK.

But which is it?

Both @Grootand @Druid799are right

But I don’t agree on ‘being used to buying at below what it’s worth’

‘Worth’ is a widely changing variable - what is X worth for Fred to buy, and what is C worth for Bob to sell?

Somewhere amongst that is ‘market value’

The market value of X could be less than Bob is willing to sell at. So the supply in the market drops (or Bob lists at his price and refuses to sell below)

The market value of X could be more than Fred is willing to pay, so the demand drops

Supply and demand fluctuate all of the time.

Certain RIF designs are everywhere —- M4s etc, and other RIF designs less so.

The materials, build quality and internals could be identical but two ‘identical’ RIFs in different body styles will have different desirabilities

There will be seasonal variations - in winter it’s cold, wet & miserable and you have to buy aunt Enid a Christmas present - slippers would do, but if you throw in a case of Babysham too she’ll slip a few extra notes into your card.  Sell last years RIF before Christmas and you could get back more via Enid to buy this years shiney RIF

So the pre-Xmas market gets flooded and prices drop, followed by Boxing Day shopping and prices begin to rise.  Wait until your birthday in Spring and you get more cash just in time to get back to playing - another potential rise in the market when the sellers see how desperate the fair weather players are in the wanted ads as they now have no guns.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.