world airsoft- what do others do differently

remus

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

was just comparing in my head the differences between airsoft here in northern Ireland (we have the 1 joule limit) to gb and got to wondering what differences are there in other countries, be it better or worse and where could we learn to improve uk airsoft from. any surprising rules or such anyone's came across or such too. are we in a good place compared or do we have a lot to do?

I know some places use higher power limits than the UK, like I think a lot of places in the US use 1.5J for AEGs and 2.8J for snipers and DMRs, but I think the power limits in the UK are just fine and totally fit for purpose. When I was in Spain it was like a mix; 350fps on .2s for AEGs and 600fps on .2s for bolties, though this was over 10 years ago when there was very little organisation, so things may be different now (official airsoft sites didn't exist back then. We just showed up to abandoned urbanisations, of which there are LOADS on the south coast, and played BB wars)

• Supporters

In Hungary, my country of origin, they have

• 400 fps on normal stuff
  • 500 fps DMR, 20m MED, single shot
  • 600 fps boltie, 20m MED

The engagements aren't any different than here, just everything happen about 5 meters farther.

The game culture is very different. Sites are much bigger, it's always working in squads with objectives, almost always there's a side commander coordinating the squads, there are dedicated medics and most importantly at least 6 hours game days with no breaks.

On 21/07/2021 at 11:25, Samurai said:

In Hungary, my country of origin, they have

• 400 fps on normal stuff
  • 500 fps DMR, 20m MED, single shot
  • 600 fps boltie, 20m MED

The engagements aren't any different than here, just everything happen about 5 meters farther.

The game culture is very different. Sites are much bigger, it's always working in squads with objectives, almost always there's a side commander coordinating the squads, there are dedicated medics and most importantly at least 6 hours game days with no breaks.

Personally, I'd have no issues with these power limits, especially the DMR one as I think most DMR limits in the UK are useless, but 500fps and a 20m MED would probably make me play DMR with my m14 instead of keeping it as a "normal" rifle power.

Unfortunately, however, I think people would get stroppy if we had these over in the UK, as people already get stroppy about getting hit with our current rules.

I doubt that we have much to do.  I bloody love airsoft in the UK and expect that I would love a game with you in NI or South Africa or anywhere else whatever the damn rules.  

I wonder if ROW turn up on site on a Sunday morning to book in just as the briefing starts, therefore holding up the first game and delaying everyone who has had the decency to turn up on time!
Rips my effing tights every time! 🤬

3 hours ago, Homeless Snail said:

Hey guys,

In Portugal, every airsoft replica is restricted to 374 FPS. Doesnt matter if its an AEG, Bolt, DMR... Kinda sucks for sniping....

Oh feck me, yeah that is all about the craft then isnt it. But then i dont 'get' the sniping game yet. With these limits why would you use anything other than an auto...

I agree with previous posts re uk limits, they arent going up. 

As to long game days....thoughts are divided, i would prefer the information to given out in the morning at or before safety brief. Being told 20mins before mag up and in to game zone that 'we'll be out til lunch/ we are out for the first two games' makes a huge difference to what i carry.

1 hour ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Oh feck me, yeah that is all about the craft then isnt it. But then i dont 'get' the sniping game yet. With these limits why would you use anything other than an auto...

1J bolties can be very fun, but it makes it even more about stealth and less about marksmanship. You can still get a very decent range with 1.1J, and it's a lot quieter than an AEG.

On 23/07/2021 at 13:01, Rogerborg said:

UK airsoft is just fine. It's a decent mix of rentals and noobs, Dye and Crye babies, geardos, Walts, and the actual airsoft veterans in jeans with random brand NBBs or a scruffy AK non-ironically held together with duct tape, all playing more-or-less happily together.

Power levels are fine too.  I wouldn't be fussed if they went a bit higher, but they're not going there.  Auto guns and bolties are both usable and distinctive. There's some debate over DMRs, in terms of both power and power-play abuse of them, but it's not a huge drama and sites are free to fiddle with their rules, or bin them off altogether.

When I hear about the competitive stuff from Italy, or huge sites and squad play from Hungary, nah, not for me, thanks, let alone the roid-rage flip-out-and-fite-IRL tosh from the Colonies.  I've enjoyed a couple of light filmsims, but for a regular Sunday I'm fine with short games, short walks, lots of shooting toy guns and maybe playing a bit of dress-up, without some Major Issues barking orders at me.

Exactly my thoughts. Keep it unreal and fun.if I want to stop for a natter while my team are getting nailed then I will despite some over enthusiastic wannabe captain ordering me otherwise. Let's face it nobody dies in airsoft!

Regards 

Dead rags is something that sticks out for me. Seem to be used everywhere but in the UK!!

• Supporters
9 hours ago, leadly said:

Dead rags is something that sticks out for me. Seem to be used everywhere but in the UK!!

I occasionally use one voluntarily, but I wouldn't like to see them mandated as it gives Oberleutnant Overshoot more free reign to say "Well, your rag wasn't out / I didn't see it."

Another thing that I've noticed is the use of tourniquets / bandages for being revived back in the game.

For the immersion I guess.

Again, like the dead rag, not something I'm overly bothered about using but I suppose the bandage helps signify if your on your last life. (Yes I'm aware people can still just remove it to get another life).

Edited by leadly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.