Countering bush wookies Like Kicking Mustang?

AirsoftNewb

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Edited thanks to cro wise words?

How do you counter bush wookies?

Watching their videos, Noobs like me are sniper fodder. It does make me think about camoflage. Wearing jeans and a hoody, is sticking out like a set of giant testicles on a jack russel. 

The only way I see to counter him is to get a dog that can sniff him out. 

He is a Noobs worst nightmare. 

Edited by AirsoftNewb

Just as a pointer, threads are often more effective when the original poster poses a question.

Although this subject has been done to death, so in this case the search function is your friend.

Buy a cheap monocular.   Less than a tenner and you can spot airsoft snipers to your hearts content.  Seriously, a pair of petrol station binos and your game is changed.  

Of course to get him to move/be spotted, you need to push the position as described above by Oneshotscott.  

Watch The Thin Red Line for more detailed instruction.  

8 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Or just ignore the annoying twat and play your own game.  He is usually off going out of bounds and editing his own game to make himself look awesome to be bothered about anyway

You can't ignore them, at the end of the day it's your goal to shoot them and everyone else for that matter.  Their downfall is the suits and kit they have to wear which interfere with hearing and vision (when they're mobile).   I play both roles but I'm not the kmcs, fully suited type that wants to be invisible.  I move quick, observe, move to firing point, shoot, repeat. I do the same for when carrying the m4 as a bolty.

Have fun hunting airsoft snipers but if you're solo you will find it difficult so team up with other anti-wookie types at the morning game brief.  Play by the rules and have fun. 

Very easy. Play indoor or cqb games. Snipers not allowed and the fun just flows... 

Having said that (as a relative noob myself). The only time a sniper actually ruined a game was when they camped out close to our spawn. Not being able to rejoin the game kind of makes the day a waist.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Buy a cheap monocular.   Less than a tenner and you can spot airsoft snipers to your hearts content.

Recommended at the price, I got a cheap monocular for airsoft and general spying larks, and they do help, depending on the field.

To combat Licking Custard specifically you should go out onto the field before the game actually starts, find a likely bush that's of bounds, and spot him when he hides himself in it.

Counter Sniping is simple, either use the unlimited spawns to your advantage and keep going back until you get him, maybe take a few team mates to flush him out. Once you have been hit half a dozen times one of you must know roughly where he is.

or ignore that area completely and play in a different part of the site

Edited by Albiscuit

On a more practical note deploying smoke can make a big difference as does lots of movement as both make you hard to hit, especially at long range. If you know roughly where they are then try encouraging some team mates to make a concerted push towards them bounding from cover to cover and ideally flanking them in the process. just keep moving.

At the end of the day your aim is to get inside his MED to take them out or to force them to make a mistake like relocating or going loud.

Unfortunately the actual spotting the comes with practice, but just because you aren't being shot at doesn't mean someone isn't watching waiting to spring an ambush.

Or realise that a BB isn't a bullet and doesn't travel at 1000+FPS and that you actually can just keep moving.  Most people hit by snipers are stood still.  My personal alternative is not to play skirmishes at all and stick to themed events ....

watch a few wookie videos and youll quickly see they mostly target those not actively playing- ie standing still or going at a constant pace. on the parts where you are walking back towards play through 'safe' areas don't nessiarlily zigzag but dont remain consistent speed. make it harder to hit. when you become aware of being shot at by one keep moving, finding cover hand hiding is a snipers plan, then when you peak you are a sitting duck. keep moving, try to narrow down where they may be. don't worry about being it cause it happens and youll shout hit. communicate with team til that point and help each other narrow it down. note if someone is hit where could they not have been hit from... also note camo styles at the start of day. they may add but at least know the base they could use so may narrow down the cover they will use. 

alternatively ignore and work around and force them to boredom / moving...

Look at his videos:

most of his targets are lazy cunts who die and go back in the same exact spot, or see their teammate die and take their place, or pop their head out in the same place over and over again.

Although the biggest mistake you all seem to be making, when dealing with a sniper, is standing/walking in open ground!!!

Snipers have two main problems against other players: MED and rate of fire.

They can't plink at you from 10 metres with their rifles if you catch them by surprise, they also can't hose you down through multiple layers of vegetation unless they have an AEG as a backup and the site isn't one of those shitty "sEmI AuTo OnlEeEe" ones. They have secondaries with a slightly higher ROF than a bolty but the concept still applies, can't win against a good burst from an AEG.

So, next time, instead of jacking each other off in the middle of a grass field, try and move through dense vegetation/foliage.. You'll make a fair bit of noise, but the guy won't be able to shoot you until you literally step on him. At that point if he's engaging others he'll be an easy prey.

So far ive found the best counters to be suppressive fire from an lmg or pinning them behind cover with a dmr until someone can flank round for the kill.

Or as has been said get a few of you together and rush them, there slow ROF and MED should give you an advantage.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Samurai said:

See someone get hit? Don't go and stand at the exact same spot.

remember once on a push-type game (only part of the field open to push through) as a defender i managed to quite literally sit in one spot and get 20+ consecutive kills simply because the attacking team kept coming back to the same piece of cover that i had the angle on.

statistically i had to have shot the same person at least twice (more than likely 3-4 people half a dozen times each) which is why i couldn't understand how they weren't at least looking to see if i was still there and/or sending a few prospecting rounds my direction (which due to the cover i had would likely have worked)

eventually the site owner decided to change the rules mid-game (without telling us) opening up a flanking route resulting in me getting shot in the ass then getting rather annoyed because i thought they were oob.

First thing I will say is that it's not the ghillie suit that makes the sniper hard to deal with, it's the player's fieldcraft. If the ghillie sniper can't do their role pretty much as effectively without the ghillie, then they need to take it off and practice their camo and concealment until they can do their job and have players almost tripping over without using the ghillie (if more people did this, they'd find they'd be waaaaaay more effective with the ghillie. It's like training with weighted clothing in DBZ :D). Am I a jerk for thinking so? Maybe, but I also won't fault these players for playing how they want; that's what the hobby is all about, after all. I think the most important thing to say is prey upon their weaknesses. What I've found observing most bush wookiees in a counter sniper role is that they either move way too much or way too little. If they move too much, you see them and then it's just a case of suppressing them and advancing on their position to flush them out. If they move too little, you'll quickly be able to work out where they are and do the same, maybe with the help of smoke grenades or tag rounds. Also, if they're using a spring rifle, there's still usually a decent amount of noise unless they've really tuned it super well (which is rare), and also their bolt pull will be long, so look for that movement too. I would say to use their MED and slow ROF against them by moving and engaging their position with suppressive fire, but I've seen a lot of experienced bush wookiees moving away from bolties and toward 1J HPA setups as they still get the silence, but they get rid of the weaknesses of the bolt action platform. Personally, once I've cleared my debts, I'm shoving a Polarstar F2 into one of my m14s and relegating the VSR to a backup gun.

As a bush wookiee myself, I'll say the following for the majority of bush wookiees you'll be up against, in addition to the movement point above (most have already been said, but I figured I'd post up my views anyway):

• Don't go to where your mate just got hit. The number of times I get multiple people because I hit someone and their friend either moves over to try and medic them immediately, or they move to take the cover their friend previously was. If they got hit behind that cover, it means someone has a line on it.
  • Move. Move. MOVE! Seriously, it's hard to hit shots on running targets and I'll usually just follow the target until they either move out of my line of sight, or they stop. This is harder if there are other players with AEGs around as they'll full auto your path and hit you, but if the sniper is being silly and being the hollywood "lone wolf" then if you keep moving you just won't get hit. BBs are about as consistent as a WE pistol in winter and the shot will go wide if there's a breeze or a leaf in the way, and trying to lead shots is difficult even in the best conditions (not impossible, but it makes the shot a lot harder).
  • Play the objective. Usually, snipers won't be holding the objective directly if it's like a base defense or something, because as a sniper you want to be where the enemy won't think you are. If there is a sniper in the base, then you know where they are and you just suppress them until you get close enough to hit them, which these days isn't much since hop ups are so good now that AEGs are shooting closer and closer to bolties. If the sniper isn't in the base and he hits you, don't go back to where you were attacking that time and instead push the objective from the other side. If the sniper is covering an objective like a flip can, think about where you got hit from and move to flank them instead. It's super hard to shoot someone behind you covertly when you're lying prone with a boltie, so you either have to let the flanking players pass (and probably take out a lot of your team) or you try and shoot them all super fast, which if there's more than one person you probably won't have much success.
  • If you know where the sniper is and they're not smart enough to have relocated, move around the position or fire and move to keep them suppressed as you close the gap. Most hides are awful when it comes to line of sight, because you need a bunch of stuff in the way for concealment. Usually, the sniper will only have one line that they're watching, so approach from their blind spot, or fire and move (quickly) to flush them out. It's hard to repel an attacking fire team with a boltie if they know where you are and are suppressing your position.

However, there are a few things that ghillie snipers will do to counter this. Some will carry a small AEG around with them, some will strike the right balance between moving too much or too little, some will run 1J HPA platforms for both silence and no MED. However, nobody is invincible without cheating. When dealing with a sniper, think about their limitations and the limitations of their current position and exploit what weaknesses you can.

Edited by Impulse

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, Impulse said:

First thing I will say is that it's not the ghillie suit that makes the sniper hard to deal with, it's the player's fieldcraft.

yep.

you can be wearing jeans and a t-shirt and still be hidden if you're able to be where the other guy isn't looking.

likewise you can be a perfect rendition of a hedge but walking around the middle of the field attracting every shot going.

never worn a ghillie primarily because it's hot, sweaty, keeps getting caught on everything and is just generally annoying.

17 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you can be wearing jeans and a t-shirt and still be hidden if you're able to be where the other guy isn't looking.

100% this, at the Gunman Christmas game two years ago we had two great snipers dressed up in white ghillies as yeti's. it was Santa's Vs Elves but they were getting a lot of hits and because they picked their shots and watched their silhouettes/stayed still they rarely got spotted...

8 minutes ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

100% this, at the Gunman Christmas game two years ago we had two great snipers dressed up in white ghillies as yeti's. it was Santa's Vs Elves but they were getting a lot of hits and because they picked their shots and watched their silhouettes/stayed still they rarely got spotted...

Yeah but we did have a lot of snow that year.😉

3 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Yeah but we did have a lot of snow that year.😉

in that case it might have been three years ago... definitely no snow. though Eversley is 90% rhododendrons so its green all year round anyway 😂

4 minutes ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

in that case it might have been three years ago... definitely no snow. though Eversley is 90% rhododendrons so its green all year round anyway 😂

👍

i mostly wear/worse black. i remember a limited lives game hiding in the open using grass and noone seeing me but in the other way around a gilli suit covering self with grass and trying for a perfect blend getting shot straight away. think its easier to spot a hiding wookie sometimes as people look where they would expect it to hide...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.