First DMR attempt

Gray_Ghost_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi . 

I have just bought a KWA QRF Mod 3. I am using this as the base for a DMR, I was looking at a Krytac originally but the sales guy put me off saying that parts are bespoke that gun so upgrading is tricky. Anyhow, I have spent days looking at hand guards and decided on a pts centurion arms 13.5”. Shall I buy one complete outer or add on extensions to the existing?

I know this is a minefield of decisions and opinions but really looking for advice all along this journey. 

cheers 

• Supporters

Well, it's an odd place to start for a DMR, I'll give you that!

I take it you mean outer barrel in which case, given that you're starting from SUCH a short barrel to begin with, go for a complete one.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Well, it's an odd place to start for a DMR, I'll give you that!

I take it you mean outer barrel in which case, given that you're starting from SUCH a short barrel to begin with, go for a complete one.

Cheers , I know. Tbh I allowed myself to get sucked in and bought it on instinct. Lol , cheers for the advice, 

can I ask why you think it’s an odd place to start.? Not questioning other than wanting to understand. Cheers 

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, Gray_Ghost_666 said:

Cheers , I know. Tbh I allowed myself to get sucked in and bought it on instinct. Lol , cheers for the advice, 

can I ask why you think it’s an odd place to start.? Not questioning other than wanting to understand. Cheers 

You'd normally start a DMR build with something a bit longer so you don't have to rip it apart and buy more bits to get to where you want to be. Given that the QRF is a very CQB focussed platform it seems an odd choice. If you were dead set on KWA then this might have been a better option https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/kwa-ronin-tactical-t10-sbr-aeg-3-0?pv=16162

Or of course you've got any number of SR-25/MK12/M14 RIFs out there that all lend themselves nicely to being a DMR.

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

You'd normally start a DMR build with something a bit longer so you don't have to rip it apart and buy more bits to get to where you want to be. Given that the QRF is a very CQB focussed platform it seems an odd choice. If you were dead set on KWA then this might have been a better option https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/kwa-ronin-tactical-t10-sbr-aeg-3-0?pv=16162

Or of course you've got any number of SR-25/MK12/M14 RIFs out there that all lend themselves nicely to being a DMR.

I see, that’s a good point. Like I said , had cash on the hip got a bit excited. I wasn’t really set on the KWA, didn’t know they existed before going to the shop. I was aiming toward the krytac but was put off by the same guy who said the parts were propriety to that make. 

• Supporters

It is a peculiar choice, but only stylistically.  They're just toys, you can make most things work, and you don't even need a particularly long barrel to get the energy up. Stock CYMAs come in at 1-4/1.5J, even the carbines.

Stick a barrel extension on, a longer inner barrel, and see what you get.  Hopefully the fire selector on the "v2.5" gearbox works like a standard v2/v3 and you can just nibble off a little bit to lock it to semi.

image.png.978e7b8427daacc5d6c9780f2a170bea.png

The one thing I'd note is that the standard magazine is pretty long which can limit your sneaking around options.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Gray_Ghost_666 said:

I see, that’s a good point. Like I said , had cash on the hip got a bit excited. I wasn’t really set on the KWA, didn’t know they existed before going to the shop. I was aiming toward the krytac but was put off by the same guy who said the parts were propriety to that make. 

I think the sales guy is on a better margin with KWA to be honest:

Internally the replica has KWA's stamp of quality, with their own modified V2 style gearbox, also known as the 2.5 AEG gearbox, which is designed with many advanced features not seen in other replicas

Which basically translates to proprietary parts.

Regardless, it has a quick change spring which is going to be a help once you start getting close to your target FPS! (which is what by the way?)

12 hours ago, Lozart said:

I think the sales guy is on a better margin with KWA to be honest:

Which basically translates to proprietary parts.

Regardless, it has a quick change spring which is going to be a help once you start getting close to your target FPS! (which is what by the way?)

Interesting, basically research is key. It is hard though to get non bias opinion . It’s almost like you need to make your own mistakes and learn from them if you want to advance. Expensive and time consuming.

my main site (imperium) has a limit of 420 and less than 1.7j using 0.20 so I am looking at getting it to whatever the equivalent is for 0.36 weight, still need to learn how to work that out. 

my pts centurion will be here in the week, along with the barrel. Can’t wait to fit it and depending on how it looks I will decide whether to carry on. Will post photos, feel free to laugh 😂 I’m not precious 

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Gray_Ghost_666 said:

Interesting, basically research is key. It is hard though to get non bias opinion . It’s almost like you need to make your own mistakes and learn from them if you want to advance. Expensive and time consuming.

my main site (imperium) has a limit of 420 and less than 1.7j using 0.20 so I am looking at getting it to whatever the equivalent is for 0.36 weight, still need to learn how to work that out. 

my pts centurion will be here in the week, along with the barrel. Can’t wait to fit it and depending on how it looks I will decide whether to carry on. Will post photos, feel free to laugh 😂 I’m not precious 

There's a good FPS calculator here: http://www.asiaairsoft.com/index_topic.php?did=23&didpath=/23

Airsoft is rife with opinions both informed and otherwise. Mine are  mostly based on trial and error and input from people whose opinions I trust. I am however always willing to be taught otherwise!

• Supporters

Given that 420 FPS on 0.2g = 1.63j then 0.36g at 1.63j gives you a max FPS on 0.36g of 313.02FPS

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Gray_Ghost_666 said:

You buy a chrono which shows Joules, you set it to 0.36g, and you look at the Joules figure.

My DMR is shooting at ~1.8J on 0.32g (site limit is 1.88J).  I couldn't tell you what that is in fps, because there's no reason for me to know.

40 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

You buy a chrono which shows Joules, you set it to 0.36g, and you look at the Joules figure.

My DMR is shooting at ~1.8J on 0.32g (site limit is 1.88J).  I couldn't tell you what that is in fps, because there's no reason for me to know.

Cheers . 👍

Ok, I’ve bottled it, I am gonna keep the mod 3 as it is. I have today bought a SA H12 one in tan and think I am going to use that as my go to AR and my ares bm-13 as my project DMR. Cheers 

3 hours ago, strykerles said:

May need to flatten down those teeth summore that you ground off.

also, why 2 teeth?

One was already grounded by manufacturers. When i tested the cycle it was fouling on the the next one up. 

Obviously will need to tone it down but happy with the results so far 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Gray_Ghost_666 said:

When i tested the cycle it was fouling on the the next one up. 

I am also baffled.  Granted, this is when the least tension is on, but as Oscar Wilde so adroitly noted, to lose one tooth may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

Didn't Luke at Negative just rant about removing two teeth?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.