The importance of decent footwear

AndyKnoxville

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I've been going to sites for around a year now with my 2 boys. I normally wear some high ankled (supportive) boots, but being really hot yesterday I wore an old pair of ultraboost. Big mistake... I took a tumble in the first game and my left ankle copped my hefty frame. I had to be helped into the back of a site van, taken back to the safe zone and then had the indignity of sitting for a couple of hours while my other half got an Uber to drive me home.

So when people say "wear decent footwear" listen to them 😉

p.s. sorry about the state of my feet! I've had 2 operations on my right foot and before the operation I was told by the consultant that my feet had been "well loved" over the years. Pretty well broke most of the toes in my feet over the years...

20210718_092407.jpg

5 minutes ago, AndyKnoxville said:

So I've been going to sites for around a year now with my 2 boys. I normally wear some high ankled (supportive) boots, but being really hot yesterday I wore an old pair of ultraboost. Big mistake... I took a tumble in the first game and my left ankle copped my hefty frame. I had to be helped into the back of a site van, taken back to the safe zone and then had the indignity of sitting for a couple of hours while my other half got an Uber to drive me home.

So when people say "wear decent footwear" listen to them 😉

p.s. sorry about the state of my feet! I've had 2 operations on my right foot and before the operation I was told by the consultant that my feet had been "well loved" over the years. Pretty well broke most of the toes in my feet over the years...

20210718_092407.jpg

Ouch!! Fair bit of swelling going on there.

Hope you recover soon 

Regards 

Just had a look in classifieds and there is a nice pair of viper multicam with side zips.

Don't know what size you are when the swelling goes down 🤭 but these are size 9.

Proper comfy and sturdy boot. I wear mine near all the time.👍

Regards 

There's a reason the most expensive bit of kit I own outside of rifs are my pair of really nice Altberg tabbers boots. They've saved my ankles more times than could count at airsoft games, on hikes, at festivals and in snow. They're also the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned and being hand made with real leather and solid soles I wouldn't be surprised if they outlasted my legs. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, EDcase said:

Good old army surplus for me.  Blisters and all 🙄

you mean the old solid ones that are like 1/4" solid leather?

had a pair years ago but never managed to acheive the mythical "breaking in" point where they became comfortable enough to wear.

Not quite the old British stompers.

Mine are very similar to these US jungle boots.

Comfy but I got a bit of a blister at the back of the heel.

I'll eventually get em worn in even if it kills me 😆

Edited by EDcase

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you mean the old solid ones that are like 1/4" solid leather?

had a pair years ago but never managed to acheive the mythical "breaking in" point where they became comfortable enough to wear.

Hope the OP gets back on his feet soon!   That's a bloody awful looking sprain.   Hope you have a pair of crutches handy, that needs resting and gentle manipulation IMHO.

As for boots...   I have a few pairs of old style Brit army boots as they fit my odd shaped feet well; including the infamous old style '58 pattern DMS ankle boots.  To get them supple you have to piss on them for a couple of weeks.  Piss and leather food and they're sorted.  A squirt of bathroom mould killer deals with any urine fed bacterial issues.  

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Hope the OP gets back on his feet soon!   That's a bloody awful looking sprain.   Hope you have a pair of crutches handy, that needs resting and gentle manipulation IMHO.

As for boots...   I have a few pairs of old style Brit army boots as they fit my odd shaped feet well; including the infamous old style '58 pattern DMS ankle boots.  To get them supple you have to piss on them for a couple of weeks.  Piss and leather food and they're sorted.  A squirt of bathroom mould killer deals with any urine fed bacterial issues.  

PISS 😱, I was issued them & I'm pretty sure that at no point EVER was piss mentioned (I think that's just some kinky shit 🤣), but then unlike Airsoft we were wearing them almost 24/7, so decent thick woolly socks, changed regularly, soon had them like a pair of slippers.

My feet are much like the OP's, smashed up, only 9 toes & a few ops, they won't win any beauty competitions lol, my super comfy boots of choice at the mo are belville tactical research, awesome, bit like an od boxing boot 👍

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

However, just peeing on your feet sounds more like a prank played on the new squaddies.

sounds about right, you hear all the stories of do xyz but most of them don't work.

part of me thinks i should get another pair and try again to break them in proper, they're that solidly built probably last me rest of me life :P

14 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

sounds about right, you hear all the stories of do xyz but most of them don't work.

part of me thinks i should get another pair and try again to break them in proper, they're that solidly built probably last me rest of me life :P

To break them in you wear them for 22 years

• Supporters
9 hours ago, tinkle60 said:

crappy old 'surplus' boots

If by old you mean 80s or 90's, sure, but things have moved on.  I've been wearing Goretex lined assault boots for the past decade or so for most purposes (airsoft, hiking, motorcycling, office wear - people meet the queen in them) without issues or complaint or a drop of water getting in.

However, given the current prices for surplus I couldn't really recommend what's available right now, and I would definitely agree with skipping the Viper / Kombat stuff which appears to be the worst of both worlds.

22 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If by old you mean 80s or 90's, sure, but things have moved on.  I've been wearing Goretex lined assault boots for the past decade or so for most purposes (airsoft, hiking, motorcycling, office wear - people meet the queen in them) without issues or complaint or a drop of water getting in.

However, given the current prices for surplus I couldn't really recommend what's available right now, and I would definitely agree with skipping the Viper / Kombat stuff which appears to be the worst of both worlds.

I had a pair of Kombat boots back when I was a cadet. The soles shredded after 6 months of light use. 

I had the same with a pair of viper copies of magnums. Even the cordura sections ripped just from putting them on 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.