What guns are banned or over powered.

AirsoftNewb

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A list of banned guns would be extensive!

You need an Airsoft Real Imitation Firearm - RIF

You need to have a two tone coloured RIF, 1 joule or 328 FPS.

Once you have done 3 games and have a UKARA or other defence you can have a non two tone RIF.

Edited by Davegolf

5 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

You need to have a two tone coloured RIF, 1 joule or 328 FPS.

This is not strictly true. You don't need to turn up to site with a two tone gun as no one is going to check your defence. It's on the person selling the RIF to you to check UKARA or other defence. Also power limits vary from site to site but are generally 350fps/1.14 joule for anything capable of full-auto.

Providing it's a 6mm airsoft gun and within the sites stated limits, I'm not aware of anything which is actually banned. Maybe another forum member is though?

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

Hi Cro, just looked at the bristol airsoft site. They said single shot and semi auto only. So I guess that means no grenade launchers or shotguns that shoot three pellets. 

Can you still take a select fire in and say I will not shoot full auto.

Yes, that is what people do.  Just keep it on semi.

There is no list of airsoft guns that are banned.

Edited by colinjallen

1 hour ago, AirsoftNewb said:

Hi Cro, just looked at the bristol airsoft site. They said single shot and semi auto only. So I guess that means no grenade launchers or shotguns that shoot three pellets. 

Site rules are often specific to them. My local allows shotguns when they say "semi only" but again, best to check before you attend.

However yes, unless it's over 350fps they should allow you to have a gun which is capable of full-auto and you just don't use it in those situations. 

Although thinking about it, have any UK sites announced a particular stance on the The G&G SSG-1??

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

• Supporters

Oh, that's an ace site.  Just be aware that CQB is intense compared to woodland., with a faster pace and stingier hits.

Yes, you'd be fine with select fire.  I'd also expect them to be fine with tri-shot shotguns - but would verify that - and those can actually be effective in CQB, since it can come down to reaction time.

"Green gas" pistols are also usable and great fun, but then you're looking at buying extra magazines and gas.  Electric pistols are usable, but insipid and have a poor trigger response. Most gas (or electric) pistols will come in under their 1.07J / 340fps on 0.2g limit, but I'd stay away from CO2 as they can come in much hotter, and can also rack up quite the cost in CO2 bulbs.

Likewise, tri-shots will come in lower (they may not even bother chronoing them), and most (but not all) AEGs that you're likely to buy in the UK should be under that limit. Although with some sites allowing up to 1.2J (360fps on 0.2g) it's not guaranteed, especially on a used purchase which is always a gamble.

I notice that they require full seal eye protection, so no DIY glasses held on with a rubber band.

And given that it's £30 for an evening game rental package that includes unlimited ammo, and rental of a carbine (and support for it) and a full face mask, I'd again point at that as the best and cheapest route to try it out.  It'll give you an opportunity to see (and feel) if you enjoy it, and to check out what everyone else is using.  You won't be outgunned or have any worries about failing chrono or running into technical issues with a used purchase.

5 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

This is not strictly true. You don't need to turn up to site with a two tone gun as no one is going to check your defence. It's on the person selling the RIF to you to check UKARA or other defence. Also power limits vary from site to site but are generally 350fps/1.14 joule for anything capable of full-auto.

Providing it's a 6mm airsoft gun and within the sites stated limits, I'm not aware of anything which is actually banned. Maybe another forum member is though?

As a ‘newb’ a 1j RIF is the he most logical to own as you can use it anywhere and also 22fps difference is generally going to make next to no difference.

I was trying to impart some sensible facts to a new player.

Also they are BBs not pellets, they won’t let you in anywhere with a pellet gun 😂

Edited by Davegolf
Typo

9 hours ago, AirsoftNewb said:

I am looking to buy a second hand gun. 

Need to know what guns are banned at sites in uk. 

Do a  few rental games and get your Ukara first. Have a look at what others are using, and talk to everyone. We all have very different opinions on what makes a good airsoft gun.

Without Ukara you will be limited to 2 tone gun purchases, and even second hand the seller should be checking you have have a valid number. 

No gun is banned as far as I know, but all guns must meet the site power limit rules. It changes per site. Outdoors more often than not it's 350fps with a 0.2g bb. Indoors it can be a lot lower, but the rules are site specific, That's why it's a good idea to do a couple of rentals first. Also when you buy second hand you must be able to estimate the power the gun is shooting. If your site wants 320fps and you buy a second hand gun that shoots 350fps you won't be able to play until you spend more money getting it downgraded. A lot of retailers can offer a downgrade service if requested when you buy new, so you get the correct power level out of the box. It's also worth noting that airsoft guns have components that wear out. A second hand gun may have poor airseals or be close to component failure, You'll need a little experience to be able to judge that, It can almost be the cost of a second hand gun to have a gearbox rebuilt with new components and airseal/hop materials. So a cheap second hand gun may very well end up not been so cheap after all.

On owning your own gun, If you get your Ukara then there are loads of guns between £100 and £150 that meet the demands of a new player. Going more expensive doesn't give you much more than what a basic gun can do. You might get better externals and a more refined gearbox that can shoot a little faster, but in the grand scheme of things there's very little gained in terms of gameplay by having something more expensive.

Please don't get a two-toned £450 GBBR for your first gun. Although actually yeah get one, it'd make a great bargain for someone here when you list it for sale after 30 minutes of use!

Iceni do you have the AUG gas model?

Nope, GBB rifles are something I have no interest in. I think a few people on here have them but they don't get mentioned a lot in general chat. All of my AUGS are standard electric AEG types.

One of the main reasons for not wanting a GBB rifle is the cost of the magazines. Typically an AEG magazine for a common gun is going to be pretty cheap possibly less than £5. And with that you can pick mid cap 100rnd, or high cap 400-600rnd capacities. A GBB mag on the other hand can be expensive. £50+ and may have a very low BB count 50rnds would be a large capacity.

Say for instance you are playing for 5 hours and will use 1000bb's. That's 2 high capacity AEG mags you can stuff one in a pocket (the other is in the gun) and cost pretty much nothing. The GBB setup well your going to want 6 mags at least 6x50 is 300 rnds. So you will need to reload all mags 3 times, It's going to cost you 5x£50 - £250, and then you will need webbing or a carrier, 5 pouches and a dump bag. So add another £100-250 to that price.

GBB are absolutely fantastic, but you have to be committed to the whole system.

• Supporters
20 hours ago, Iceni said:

Do a  few rental games and get your Ukara first. Have a look at what others are using, and talk to everyone. We all have very different opinions on what makes a good airsoft gun.

100%, or at least just do one as a rental. It's not really extra cost, it can save you from a costly mistake.

Without Ukara you will be limited to 2 tone gun purchases, and even second hand the seller should be checking you have have a valid number. 

Well, a valid defence, there are plenty available.  Many private sellers don't check, and there are also several retails who accept bogus defences.  I know that's not how it should be, but it's how it be.

No gun is banned as far as I know,

Bristol prison/courthouse don't list any, but it can vary and it's always worth asking your site before a purchase of anything unusual.  The late lamented Depot had a blanket prohibition on Dan Wesson style shell loading revolvers, Mk23s with silencers/barrel extensions, and all grenade launchers/shells, due to repeated abuse of them.

Anything full auto and capable of over 1.3J (and yes, you can buy a few examples from UK retailers) isn't an airsoft gun, it's (by default) a Section 5 prohibited firearm.  That shouldn't be an issue for anything site legal though.

It's also worth noting that airsoft guns have components that wear out. A second hand gun may have poor airseals or be close to component failure, You'll need a little experience to be able to judge that, It can almost be the cost of a second hand gun to have a gearbox rebuilt with new components and airseal/hop materials. So a cheap second hand gun may very well end up not been so cheap after all.

Exactly. Second hand purchases are what you make when you know what you're doing. As a first purchase, it's a great way to end up with an unusable money pit.

Going more expensive doesn't give you much more than what a basic gun can do. You might get better externals and a more refined gearbox that can shoot a little faster, but in the grand scheme of things there's very little gained in terms of gameplay by having something more expensive.

Especially in semi-auto CQB.  Pre-cock might be one exception, but I'll cheerfully pit any gas pistol or shotgun against that.

I dont believe they are currently banned as they're not released yet but i wouldn't be surprised to see the flak 5 and 10 get banned from cqb sites so id be wary about ordering those until theyve been released and the preemptive backlash has died down.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Mad-Al said:

I dont believe they are currently banned as they're not released yet but i wouldn't be surprised to see the flak 5 and 10 get banned from cqb sites so id be wary about ordering those until theyve been released and the preemptive backlash has died down.

https://www.popularairsoft.com/airsoft-innovations-finally-reveal-flak-10-flak-5-gas-powered-airsoft-super-shotguns

I'll cheerfully pre-empt the pre-emptive backlash to say that if I were King of Airsoft I'd blanket ban anything made by Airsoft Innovations, purely based on their choice to market the 40-Mike to sociopaths using that "Pain Train" campaign.  That wasn't accidental, it was deliberate and cynical, and actions should have consequences.

I've never been a fan sites banning x, y or z because a minority of people have abused them. Imo it's not the rif's fault if the flesh coloured squishy bit decides to act like a nob, so it's said squishy bit that should be banned

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

I've never been a fan sites banning x, y or z because a minority of people have abused them. Imo it's not the rif's fault if the flesh coloured squishy bit decides to act like a nob, so it's said squishy bit that should be banned

I'm not a huge advocate either, but it was a pragmatic decision made by a busy site with a lot of players.  I'm sure the culprits were dealt with too, but after you've caught two or three examples of the same gun being abused in the same way in game, it becomes a question of whether you want to keep catching them, or try and stop them getting out there in the first place.

course you would hope that those offenders take that as a punishment that their expensive toy becomes an expensive decoration the likely hood that they sell it to some other sod who intended it as designed to discover they cannot use it is unfortunate. hope specific offenders are targeted before item bans happen but easier to blame the tool...

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

I agree with this which is why the whole G&G ssg1 thing was so stupid, I'm fine with the banning of panel triggers as they are literally designed to be abused but at the end of the day people were getting in an uproar about and ar with a funny stock.

The flak series is however different as they break a fundamental rule of most sites if not the game by design, they over shoot.

I take 3 round burst at 30m fair enough, i take a tripple hit from a 260 fps tri shot up close fair play but if i get hosed with 10bbs at 350fps each at 10m then I'm going to be pissed as that meets the very definition of overshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

The AA12 is a heavy thing. It is also underpowered and was an expense ve flop. Would you be happy fot its piwer to be lifted to 3 shot 350fps?

not sure bristol lets you run around with grenade launchers in cqb.

the idea of get an m4 like everyone else... its boring.

57 minutes ago, AirsoftNewb said:

Then dont get an M4, these days there is a massive variety out there you are no longer just limited to ar or ak pattern rifles.

Cyma make g3s, galils, mp5s, m14s, g36 and p90s.

There are loads of scar, f2000, l85, tar 21, masadas, famas and umps out there too and thats just from looking at 3 manufacturers.

• Supporters

Indeed, but as a first gun, which will likely become a backup or loaner, they make sense.  Cheap, plentiful, easiest to find spares and upgrade parts for, and fairly easy to sell on when you make the mistake of buying before playing and then realise that airsoft isn't for you.

Although, all that said... ;) 

image.png

Some sort of assault rifle is generally advisable as a starting gun for the same reasons they're used by the majority of soldiers in the real world: they're a jack of all trades weapon that does everything sort of well but doesn't particularly excel at anything. However, I don't think getting an m4 as a starter gun is necessary and AKs, SCARs, g36s, L85s etc. are plentiful and just as good in airsoft. I'm always an advocate of getting the gun you like aesthetically; find one you like and then find a manufacturer who makes it well; I'm a big fan of Cyma, as they do a large selection of guns and they're generally fantastic out of the box, especially for the price. I've had an AK, mp5 and 2 m14s from Cyma and every single one of them have been great guns.

On that though, also think about how you like to play, so I'd generally advise renting for 3 games to get your UKARA before buying. Renting will allow you to experiment with different ways of playing and then make a more informed decision when you purchase. Want to play high speed and aggressive? Maybe an SMG like an mp5 or p90 is for you. Unlike in real-steel shooting, barrel length and calibre don't really matter; a stubby mp5 will perform just as well as an m4 or AK.

• Supporters

Although L85s seem to come pre-loaded with a fair number of issues (making them historically accurate).

Fair point though, get whatever gives you a tingle, they're much the same internally.  +1 for CYMA, they're cheap because they make so many of them, not because they're badly made. The cheapest ones have toyish plastic, and basic internals, but they're robust enough and you're very unlikely to go far wrong with with a CYMA AK.

32 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Although L85s seem to come pre-loaded with a fair number of issues (making them historically accurate).

It's a feature, not a problem. Got to love airsoft manufacturers' dedication to immersion!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.