Suggestion on a AEP

KyleAirsoft

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Everyone , Has anyone got any suggestions on a good quality AEP I’m not looking for anything fancy just a reliable no hassle sidearm. 

I have seen the Cyma CM.127S that seems decent for its price at around £50. Anyone have any reviews on this? 

Any other recommendations below or around £100 would be great 😊 

• Supporters

Usual answer, only get an AEP after you've tried one and liked it.

They're heavy, bulky things with fat grips, the semi response isn't great even on a lipo, and sub 0.4J makes them suitable only for CQB or going into structures.

I've sunk a fair bit of of time and money into my CM.123 (lipo, rewire, bearings, heavier spring, trying to sort the air seal) but never got above 0.5J, or a trigger response close to that of a GBB, and, crucially, there's none of the blowback fun factor.

So now I just strap my Galaxy MP5K to a leg panel and have something that's light enough to forget about but shoots 1J+ and is just about usable as a woodland primary while having most of the advantages of a pistol, and it's also upgradeable with AEG parts.

Sadly, stocking is patchy, and we can only buy what we can buy.  But on that, I'd be surprised if you can find a mosfet CYMA for close to £50 and in stock.  Any hints as to where?

The words "good" and "AEP" are pretty much mutually exclusive.

My son has a CYMA AEP, can't remember the exact model but it was not cheap (way more than £50) as it has a MOSFET and was one of the "better ones", however it's hideous compared to a gas pistol. The trigger response is glacial, slow to the point where you'd never shot first in a one on one, and it chrono's at around 220 FPS on 0.20's. It's just gathering dust now as he has a WE G17 Gen 4 and an AAP-01 and is happy with gas.

I've seen videos of the Tokyo Marui G18C AEP which appear to show it having a much better trigger response than my son's CYMA, to the point where it appears to be a genuine option, but it would be a bit risky taking a punt without being 100% certain.

Edit: Also the CYMA pistol is using a LiPo battery.

Edit 2: It's this one... https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-122s-mosfet-edition?pv=11461

Edited by Fatboy40

23 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Usual answer, only get an AEP after you've tried one and liked it.

The one i found was from taiwangun that seemed decent. However i have recenlty found out they are not shipping to the UK at the moment. I know they will not reach the performance of a GBB and are useless if you are not indoors but I mainly play CQB and really CBA for another GBB mag to start leaking or break on me. 

26 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

The words "good" and "AEP" are pretty much mutually exclusive.

My son has a CYMA AEP, can't remember the exact model but it was not cheap (way more than £50) as it has a MOSFET and was one of the "better ones", however it's hideous compared to a gas pistol. The trigger response is glacial, slow to the point where you'd never shot first in a one on one, and it chrono's at around 220 FPS on 0.20's. It's just gathering dust now as he has a WE G17 Gen 4 and an AAP-01 and is happy with

I know they are not the greatest but it will be my last resort and can trust it will always work on me with no gas issues. 

1 hour ago, KyleAirsoft said:

The one i found was from taiwangun that seemed decent. However i have recenlty found out they are not shipping to the UK at the moment. I know they will not reach the performance of a GBB and are useless if you are not indoors but I mainly play CQB and really CBA for another GBB mag to start leaking or break on me. 

I know they are not the greatest but it will be my last resort and can trust it will always work on me with no gas issues. 

Have you heard the word of the Mk23? The one true sidearm? Mine works in all weather and has never given me issues, plus you can upgrade them to shoot better than most people's AEGs and they're silent. The TM one is a bit pricey (but worth it because it'll perform well out of the box and you don't need to modify the suppressor), but if you are on a budget, the ASG one retails for around £60 or something, then you can spend the rest on an extra mag and a new hop rubber + hadron H-arm. £100 pistol that will shoot stupidly well.

Also, if you're able to carry something slightly bigger, I'm going to echo what @Rogerborg said; mp5k is a great secondary. I'm partial to running either my mp5k or my super awesome amazing stockless spring shotty as secondaries. Both are totally stock Cyma, both are super reliable and both perform as well as I'd expect. The spring shotty cost me around £60 all in (with 9 total shells and a small molle attachment to hold 5 of them) from TG before they had their shipping woes, but it only goes to 30 - 40m, which is plenty for the ranges you use a shotgun for. It's also one of the most fun RIFs I own and everyone always loves it when I bring out the shotty, even though it's absolutely not the optimal gun for woodland airsoft! The mp5k cost me around £140 from Patrolbase and it reaches out to 40 - 50m; I currently have it mounted on a cheapo single point bungee sling that I can quickly clip/unclip it from and carry a few stubby mid-caps in pistol mag pouches. Both of these are in addition to carrying my primary (so usually my 416 with the shotgun and my VSR with the mp5k) as well as a sidearm on my belt. Carrying 3 guns isn't that hard if two of them are small.

And before anyone comes in here and says "my spring shotty and mp5k shoots to 100m easy" both of those ranges I gave above are effective range, hitting a man-sized target 9/10 times without having to angle the gun like a mortar and measured in actual, metric system metres, not airsoft metres! :P

Edited by Impulse

It's pretty simple: AEPs are shit (even TMs).

If you are going to bother with batteries and gearboxes, then the best option is a compact AEG like a mp5k or even the utter shit Ares CCP.

At least you won't have to deal with tiny gears or other nonsense.

On a side note: gas magazines don't require a degree in quantum physics to maintain, also not yeeting them on the ground when reloading helps :P

• Supporters
2 hours ago, KyleAirsoft said:

I know they are not the greatest but it will be my last resort

Well, they do work, and I have got hits with one (and some people even called them!).  But as @Fatboy40 said, the trigger response is slowwww, you can actually hear them winding up on semi.

I did get significantly better response when I shoehorned in a 1200mAh 25/50C lipo, full size Deans, and fatter wiring from battery through to motor.  No mosfet, but those just take the trigger contact resistance out of the equation. I say better, but it'll still be out-gun-slung by anything except the limpest of AEGs.

It was a fun experiment, as was playing around with the spring as the gearboxes are a wonder to behold.  But the tiny motor and cylinder always limit what you can achieve with them.

But... they do work.

Something like a Scorpion Vz61 or Mac10 AEP might be a better compromise though more expensive and still not as good as an AEG.

I agree with the consensus that gas pistols are more effective and certainly more fun to use.

If you want something for CQB you can't go wrong with the good'ol MP5 AEG 😎

Edited by EDcase

I enjoy using a CYMA CM.123 (I think) 1911.   I only use it for CQB with a drum mag.  It's silly and I like it and with a Lipo its not too shabby response wise.

My lad's Skorpion with a Lipo is a much better TBH.  Quite a few people always want a go with the thing at day's end.  

For the once or twice a year I go to CQB, the AEP is a real laugh, for the rest of/95% the time, I use a TM gas 1911; but... in the years that I've owned the thing, I have never used it in a game.  I've modded it it and cleaned it and carried it, but not once have I taken it from the holster in anger.  It always goes through a mag with no issues at the end of the day as I unload it into various oil drums. pallets etc.  

£65 ish CYMA shottie, is top fun.

Folding stock short barrelled AK?  Loads of fun CQB or woodland site.  

Mk23 - complete classic, excellent to use.

I can recommend the CYMA aep, but there are other options.  

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I enjoy using a CYMA CM.123 (I think) 1911.   I only use it for CQB with a drum mag. 

Wait, a drum mag?  I've got a couple of the extended mags which work well enough (and don't like to drop out like the stock metal mags, yet another issue), but I've never seen a drum.

If I can find it in the lad's room I'll post it.  From memory (shows how much I use it) it's about 120rd with a curlywurly spring at the very square base.

• Supporters

Can also give a thumbs up to a cheap and cheerful scorpion .👍

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

not once have I taken it from the holster in anger

For the vast majority of woodland players, the vast majority of the time, a £10 springer will be every bit as useful any AEP or gas pistol.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

For the vast majority of woodland players, the vast majority of the time, a £10 springer will be every bit as useful any AEP or gas pistol.

I'll agree there. Unless you're using a boltie or a GBBR / 30rd magazines in your AEG, you generally won't use a pistol. I tend to keep my m4 mags set for 30rds in my recoil, but most of the time I use a boltie, so my pistols get a LOT of use. One of my best moments in airsoft was dropping the 416 and pulling out the p226 mid-reload and shooting at a pair of guys pushing on my position while I was reloading. It was pretty thrilling and an experience you just don't get with hi-caps.

If I had a £10 springer or an AEP in that situation, I probably would've been hit and it wouldn't have been nearly as memorable. However, if I used even mid-caps, I probably wouldn't have been put in that situation at all.

Edited by Impulse

As a primarily wood player I will make a point of using my pistols. I carry at least three of the buggers for the extra weight I am getting use out of then. AEP wise the zv61 was the only one I found useable. After a Gbb an mp7 was just so very meh. if you don't want a gas back up, I'll give another vote for an MP5k.

I've often switched to GBB pistol in woodland games while defending a position/building.  Taking out approaching enemy while popping out of cover is much easier with a pistol.

• Supporters

I've had more than one legendary "John Woo" moment switching to a gbb pistol literally in mid air & take out one or more targets,  but if I'd been using an AEP, I'd be just another sad sap trudging back to respawn😭

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.