G5's in Black Widow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just now, Enid_Puceflange said:

To be fair she is on my “list” 

Along with Charlize 🤤

Have you seen “Under the Skin” ?

1 minute ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Nope, but liked her in The Old Guard

Watch it. It’s a deliberately low budget film with only two or three

pro actors, but it is very, very good

• Supporters

Interesting stuff. I'm actually a little surprised that they used blank firers, given how prevalent CGI is now.

See: Thor Ragnarock.  Obviously upgraded to Asgardian technology... ;) 

image.png.58a6f48e325c940161cbbb33d6694dd7.png

1 hour ago, Samlondon said:

I was one of the armourers on Black widow and can cofirm they were section 5 G5s set up to fire blank. Not GHK

The Glock 26 firing on the bridge was an umarex, the only airsoft used in the film.

Cool, I didn’t think the GHK G5 was based on a real weapon tbh

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Cool, I didn’t think the GHK G5 was based on a real weapon tbh

According to GHK it's a new design...

Also, while I would assume that someone who worked on the film would know better, the detail focussed massive nerds over at IMFDB haven't mentioned G5s at all http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Black_Widow_(2021) They do mention that some of the bad guys have Scorpion EVOs though...

Any one else seen it?

There are two scenes, close ups of the baddies weapons on the floor at the main headquarters, both very clearly show a 556 mag in a weapon that looks identical to a G5.

probably 🤣🤣

• Supporters

Let's just clear this up a tad because weirdly it needs it - as Dr said the (airsoft) GHK G5 is based on the (firearm) CZ Scorpion Evo 3 in terms of general look/style.  The actual firearm has been around and known of for a very long time, long before it got popular in airsoft and video games.  GHK probably just went off pictures when they designed the G5 with 556 style mags since, iirc, the G5 was around years before the ASG Scorpion Evo AEG.  GHK were already making a fair few GBB 556-style/size mags at that time and obviously they hold more gas, which logistically would explain the design choice.  As some old salts might know - The gun being almost all plastic made it cheap to manufacture and well performing in all weathers; when it came out in the earlier days of gas-in-mag GBBRs everyone raved about it as being better than all the WA and WE M4s that were the popular thing in GBBR world back then.

The real CZ is relatively cheap, simple and reliable so with that modern look it's prime hollywood fodder.  Also an ideal candidate for blank conversion since it's a straight blowback operated firearm with a non-locking breech/bolt, so double points there in the film industry's eyes.  Since films now do often use airsoft paired with CGI however it's pretty likely you'll see both the G5 and CZ Evo on the screen in future and given the similar looks, fast cuts, long shots and motion blur I can see how the two would get mixed up.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.