Vests Plate Carriers for a Fat Boy

BigStew

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Been running a belt rig just found either it starts to slip round my arse or suspenders dig in or end up being lopsided. So looking to go to a vest or plat carrier. 6 foot 5 with a 54inch chest what do people recommend would like one thing with a molle back plate.

• Supporters

as a fellow largeman i've never got on with PC's, adding 2+" of overhang just makes an awkward situation even more awkward.

it's one of the reasons i've stuck with belt rigs (in particular the smersh), you get a decent setup adjusted right it's a lot more comfortable.

@BigStew I could never find one to fit nicely & comfortably as a bit of a chunky-de-la-monkey and as I hated having everything hanging off my belt wanting drag me keks down all the time so I just made something that worked for me.

• Supporters

Problem is, plate carriers/vests tend to be relatively short in the body, & at 6.5 will look even shorter, so unless you've got a six pack stomach, it's not a good look, some people try to hide this by adding a belt rig under the pc, but then your back to square one & seriously overloaded with sweat inducing tactical nylon covering you.

Bit if kit I'm forever recommending is a bulle MLE, very comfortable, & adjustable for height so belly coverage is good, but at the same time a semi open back & chest means your less likely to overheat.

I wore one for a 72hr milsim, fully loaded, never took it off & had no complaints.

In fact I picked up a second one recently, gonna dye it black so I've got two to compliment most of my loadouts, after 20 years of playing it's prob the one bit of kit I'd recommend over anything else (& there's been a lot lol)

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Problem is, plate carriers/vests tend to be relatively short in the body, & at 6.5 will look even shorter, so unless you've got a six pack stomach, it's not a good look, some people try to hide this by adding a belt rig under the pc, but then your back to square one & seriously overloaded with sweat inducing tactical nylon covering you.

Bit if kit I'm forever recommending is a bulle MLE, very comfortable, & adjustable for height so belly coverage is good, but at the same time a semi open back & chest means your less likely to overheat.

I wore one for a 72hr milsim, fully loaded, never took it off & had no complaints.

In fact I picked up a second one recently, gonna dye it black so I've got two to compliment most of my loadouts, after 20 years of playing it's prob the one bit of kit I'd recommend over anything else (& there's been a lot lol)

This.

Also, worth looking at RRV style chest rigs (like the Warrior Assault 901 or similar). How much stuff do you want to carry?

Anything by Condor will suit you... I started out in Airsoft being almost 27stone, and I purchased a Condor Chestrig which still had plenty of room with the straps..  I am no longer 27stone and much slimmer now due to diet and exercise...but Condor are very liberal in their sizes for chest rigs & carriers.

Plate carriers don't look good on larger individuals, because the plates are designed to be small, but large enough to cover all the vital organs, and if you're overweight there'll be spillage up, down and side to side. They also don't feel good, as the weight will sit weird if you're carrying a few spare tyres. If you're tall and in shape, plate carriers are fine, but being overweight really emphasises all the issues plate carriers have and they're super uncomfortable, as well as looking pretty awful. I mostly run a belt kit with harness to keep it in place, as I do the snipey-snipe so I want to go prone a lot and crawl on my stomach, which is uncomfortable with a chest rig and super uncomfortable to the point of impracticality with a plate carrier, once again compounded when I was overweight.

If you want something on the body, I'm going to also advocate the Warrior Assault Systems 901 chest rig. It's a fantastic piece of kit and you can buy a back panel for it for if you need the extra molle space on your back. They also last for years; I'm still using my one I bought when I was about 15. 15 years on and it's still going strong! it's always fit me too, from my fittest (17 years old and around 100kg of muscle, captain of the school swim team, number 8 on the school rugby team), to my heaviest (literally no exercise and 160kg of flab), now back on the road to my fittest, my Warrior Assault Systems gear has all always fit me really well. I'm 6'5", like you, and I also have a sturdy Dutch build, but Warrior Assault Systems stuff has always fit me. It's pricey, but worth the investment in my opinion.

• Supporters

A plus for Condor kit from me as well . As a shorter chunky monkey I’m in the same boat (down side to having a very physically active life and now not so active and a lot older !🤦‍♂️Lol) I do like the condor chest rigs , I had the rapid assault for a while and I’ve currently got the Recon model .

Can also highly recommend Blackhawk! (Not surprisingly as it’s Blackhawk) Recon and the RRV models . If you do want full body cover front and back then again highly recommend the Blackhawk! S.T.R.I.K.E. Plate carrier .

Yeah +1 on the condor rig.

Just purchased the condor recon rig from a forum member and very pleased with it.plenty of adjustment and carries what I need. Not fielded it yet but can imagine it will be comfortable for a days play. Bulky on front due to 3x2 mags but I don't do much laying down.

Regards 

2 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Yeah +1 on the condor rig.

Just purchased the condor recon rig from a forum member and very pleased with it.plenty of adjustment and carries what I need. Not fielded it yet but can imagine it will be comfortable for a days play. Bulky on front due to 3x2 mags but I don't do much laying down.

Regards 

How is it for length? I have a long back and a big gut.

4 minutes ago, BigStew said:

How is it for length? I have a long back and a big gut.

I would say more than enough adjustment especially for width.😉👍

And it's got 'Swivy locks' 

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.