The Healthy Airsofters Thread

PopRocket123

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 12/07/2021 at 10:32, Lozart said:

Yep, I used to do a LOT of mountain biking (back in the good old days of tiny frames and long, whippy seat pins) then I got a job commissioning away from home a lot and eating in hotels. Put on a LOT of weight.

Few years back I got sick of my face wobbling when I walked so I lost 4.5 stone (portion control and calorie counting, no exclusions). Then my Mum died and I fell right off the wagon. Then smashed it into firewood and burned it. Put on anxiety meds that have a reputation for hindering weight control, then Dad developed Alzheimer's so 3 stone back on now and starting back down the road of eating better.

So far I've knocked most of the snacking on the head and a couple of pounds have shifted. Exercise is a bit limited because all those years of mountain bikes with clipless pedals with bugger all float have knackered my knees and decades of being sat at a desk or in a car have screwed my back (software engineer then sales). Still, I managed it before so I'll do it again.

Weight loss is as much about mindset as it is about what you eat!

It can't be overstated how the state of your mental health directly affects your physical health. Sounds like you're in a better place now though. 

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

It can't be overstated how the state of your mental health directly affects your physical health. Sounds like you're in a better place now though. 

Different, yes. Better...eh...I'll get back to you on that!

14 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Different, yes. Better...eh...I'll get back to you on that!

Progress is still progress. It's all a process so even if it doesn't feel like you're where you should be, you're still not where you were. 

11 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

It can't be overstated how the state of your mental health directly affects your physical health. 

100%

I got fat through injury followed by bereavement.  I felt shitty and stopped training, I stopped thinking of attending classes etc too.  My work became more sedentary.  I comfort ate. 

I found getting back to a healthy diet much harder than quitting smoking.  Even buying petrol tonight tested me.  All them bloody chocky bars I could smell!  

Good luck to anyone trying to stay healthy atm.  

1 hour ago, Madhouse said:

So today I found enough time to jump on the MTB and go for a quick lunch ride - advantages of WFH :) - and Mr Garmin tells me I burned 787 calories, I've a HRM and those boys knows their stuff so I'd say that's pretty reasonable for an hour's ride.

That's 'paid' for a chunk of tonight's fish and chips that a friend bought round and the beer I had with it, so I'm still under the 1640cal goal that I've got set on MFP.

Today was a good day.

My old bike is sat languishing at my mum's. I'd dig it out but it needs a new chain and tires. Not that I have anywhere to put it at the moment. 

On 05/07/2021 at 15:39, rj1986 said:

Interesting titbit - on a 7k run (back when i was doing cardio) or heavy leg day i burn around 6-800 cals.

I wore my heart rate monitor to airsoft a few weekends ago when it was hot out, and i burnt around 2200cals for the day.

An easy rule of thumb for calories burned while running/walking, is your weight in kilogrammes per kilometre covered. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wore through the heel of my trainers at the end of last week - massive blister!! Bit annoying as they're my youngest pair. Just ordered a new pair as my other ones are high-milers and don't have too much life left in them and I'd rather be wearing newer shoes for my marathon next month.

Talking of which - long run tonight, guess I'd better get some distance in the legs!

19 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

Wore through the heel of my trainers at the end of last week - massive blister!! Bit annoying as they're my youngest pair. Just ordered a new pair as my other ones are high-milers and don't have too much life left in them and I'd rather be wearing newer shoes for my marathon next month.

Talking of which - long run tonight, guess I'd better get some distance in the legs!

It took me such a long time to realise the worth of decent trainers. I couldn't understand for the longest time why I kept getting shin splints after I ran. Turned out it was the lack of proper heel support. 

44 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

It took me such a long time to realise the worth of decent trainers. I couldn't understand for the longest time why I kept getting shin splints after I ran. Turned out it was the lack of proper heel support. 

My shins work as a barometer for when my shoes are at the end of their life.

I go by the motto "always look after your feet" when buying shoes, it's amazing the difference it can make and yet is overlooked by so many people.

Kept banging on about it to Mrs M after a succession of cheap trainers and aching feet (her arches collapse, you can spot it a mile off), she finally let me buy her a pair of Merrell's for walking and within about 5 minutes she realised the benefits of a decent pair of shoes.

An interesting thread here. I've been trying to get to a healthier weight, but unlike most folk posting, I'm approaching it from the other side so if anyone has suggestions on how to healthily put weight on I'm all ears

On 13/07/2021 at 12:24, PopRocket123 said:

This. I know its easier said than done but exercise is known to have a positive effect on mental health 

My martial arts centre re-opened this week, so I'm back to my main form of exercise. Hoping the weight is going to start flying off now, since the only exercise I really do outside of it is airsoft and cycling when I need to go somewhere. Airsoft is every 2 weeks and cycling to go somewhere is like... maybe once a week? But now it'll be at least twice a week with two martial arts sessions and then airsoft every two weeks.

Time to get rid of the rest of this weight!

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

An interesting thread here. I've been trying to get to a healthier weight, but unlike most folk posting, I'm approaching it from the other side so if anyone has suggestions on how to healthily put weight on I'm all ears

This. I know its easier said than done but exercise is known to have a positive effect on mental health 

I've got a couple of friends who need to work hard to keep the weight on. From what I've talked to them about what it basically comes down to is to live like you're constantly bulking. So high calorie, high protein diet and working out for size over straight strength. If you're really struggling I'd suggest talking to your GP about getting a dietitian for the best and healthiest way for you. 

9 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

A lad who worked for me had to put weight on for health reasons.  He used full fat milk, Mars bars and avoided fibre.   I think (it was a while back) that he had an issue with a rapid as fuck metabolism, so may be a very different case for your good self.  

Usually if people want to gain they use bulk up shakes/high protein diet and high weight low rep circuits/weight routines.   Seriously though, don't fuck about with big weights if you haven't had an instructor tell you how to lift correctly.   You can seriously damage yourself for the sake of a £20 lesson. 

If you have the dedication, time and no money, get Solitary Fitness by Charles Bronson from the library.  Whole body strength routine with no equipment.  

10 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Are you a smoker? I went from 69 to 83 kilos in the space of three or four months  when I stopped smoking. 

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Admission, I was doing so well with the cycling, then I bought an electrically assisted pedal cycle about a month back.

Just put the same effort in and go further, faster.

MTB's my main sport and a mate has an e-bike. What happened when he got it was his rides got hillier and longer. It's also great as it means we can ride together now - I get a killer workout chasing him up the hills!

• Supporters

Just put the same effort in and go further, faster.

Well, to be a bit more serious, that's what I'm doing.  20+ miles rather than a wobble to the shops and back, and I'm trying not to keep it in Easy Mode all the time.  I'll need to keep doing stationary cycling as well though.

MTB's my main sport and a mate has an e-bike. What happened when he got it was his rides got hillier and longer. It's also great as it means we can ride together now - I get a killer workout chasing him up the hills!

Snap, I've been out with a mad keen road biker chum that I'd been putting off riding with because I reckoned I couldn't keep up.  Now he leads on the flat or downhill, and I cheat my way up the inclines, it's all good.

It's an oft-abused phrase, but e-bikes really are a game changer.  Just not ideal for fat losers, perhaps.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Define a "healthy" weight.

Do you want to be stronger? Or fitter? Or just heavier? If it's a purely aesthetic issue that you don't like being skinny then maybe it's more of a self image/mental problem than a weight problem?

I'm just looking to put on a bit of extra weight as at 5'9 and weighing a touch over 9 stone I'm right at the lower end of whats considered an OK weight. Looks wise I'm not particularly fussed about as I'm comfortable knowing I have a face for radio 

• 2 weeks later...

In the last two weeks I've lost about a stone and an inch off my waist. It's amazing what eating better and getting out for regular hikes can do. 

42 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

In the last two weeks I've lost about a stone and an inch off my waist. It's amazing what eating better and getting out for regular hikes can do. 

Not intending to rain on any parades, but given the title of the thread it feels wise to say something. Losing that much weight in 2 weeks is extremely unhealthy. If it's giving you motivation to get healthier then use that, but please fix the balance between eating too much shit and simply not eating enough at all.

Generally speaking when you start any sort of weight loss plan you'll be losing more earlier on, but even considering that losing that much in 2 weeks rings alarm bells.

Edited by alxndrhll

56 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Not intending to rain on any parades, but given the title of the thread it feels wise to say something. Losing that much weight in 2 weeks is extremely unhealthy. If it's giving you motivation to get healthier then use that, but please fix the balance between eating too much shit and simply not eating enough at all.

Generally speaking when you start any sort of weight loss plan you'll be losing more earlier on, but even considering that losing that much in 2 weeks rings alarm bells.

Half a stone, sorry. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.