Sniper and DMR Single and Double Band.

Thedadoodle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I did a search online and searched on here too, couldn't find anything.

Can anyone explain what these two terms mean?  ( the single and double bands that is)

Thank you

• Supporters

Also confused, can you shed more light on what it may refer to, or your original source for what your asking about ?

• Supporters

only thing i can possibly think of is a reference to energy limits for sites?

eg that a site has a universal limit for single shot pews (be they bolt or semi auto) so anything that isn't auto gets X fps limit.

or a site that has 2 limits, one for semi-auto and another for bolt action, so dmr's get up to X fps and bolt guns get up to Y fps.

i've never heard the term before, so the above is very much a wild guess.

On 05/07/2021 at 10:37, Adolf Hamster said:

only thing i can possibly think of is a reference to energy limits for sites?

eg that a site has a universal limit for single shot pews (be they bolt or semi auto) so anything that isn't auto gets X fps limit.

or a site that has 2 limits, one for semi-auto and another for bolt action, so dmr's get up to X fps and bolt guns get up to Y fps.

i've never heard the term before, so the above is very much a wild guess.

I'm still new to Airsoft myself I honestly thought it was a "universal term" however I think you are correct. I spoke to a few people and where I play (The Grange) in Coventry they use it to identify by using a single band of tape or double band on the rif. 

Thinking it was a universal term across the board I was going to ask what makes something single or double band. Now I know I'll get a more clear answer from the sight haha. 

Thank yourself and everyone else that commented, even if I did confuse some of you 

• Supporters

It does make a lot of sense, and I've been recommending to my local site that they tape-mark DMRs in particular as otherwise there's no way for marshals and players to tell in game.  I could run a lonnnng M4 at 1.1J, alongside a Mk23 pistol and barrel extended/silencer running at over 1.5J, and how are they supposed to know which one needs to respect a MED and ROF limit?

(Segues into rant about Mk23s and CO2 pistols...)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 17:13, Rogerborg said:

It does make a lot of sense, and I've been recommending to my local site that they tape-mark DMRs in particular as otherwise there's no way for marshals and players to tell in game.  I could run a lonnnng M4 at 1.1J, alongside a Mk23 pistol and barrel extended/silencer running at over 1.5J, and how are they supposed to know which one needs to respect a MED and ROF limit?

(Segues into rant about Mk23s and CO2 pistols...)

This came up at my local when a guy turned up with a stock TM VSR. He assumed as it only shot 300fps, there wouldn’t be a MED but other players kept complaining about the sniper who was shooting from 20 metres away. So they’ve changed the rules and it’s now a case of “if it looks like a sniper rifle or DMR, you’ve got a 30 metre med”……which of course opens up a whole new can of worms.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

That is quite possibly the dumbest, laziest, wrongest thing I've heard of a site doing, and it's up against some quite stiff competition.

Funnily enough, they do distinguish between the two with different coloured tape at chrono.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Funnily enough, they do distinguish between the two with different coloured tape at chrono.

Futurama: Theory on the death clock : FanTheories

Personally, I don't want people putting tape all over my guns, thank you very much.

However, the "if it looks like a sniper, then you have an MED" is utter tripe. Lots of people like running 1J bolties, especially those who are also into WW2 airsoft. Also, there are people who like running "DMRs" at 1J so as to avoid the MED. My m21 is very sniper-y (no, it's not an m14!), but I'll run it at 1.1J to avoid the 30m MED because I prefer the flexibility over the extra 0.5J and the tiny range increase that affords, so if someone told me "nah, you have an MED anyway" I'd probably tell them to piss off. Politely.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That is quite possibly the dumbest, laziest, wrongest thing I've heard of a site doing, and it's up against some quite stiff competition.

yep.

especially when different colours are involved.

sounds like people are complaining about being outplayed......

2 hours ago, Impulse said:

Personally, I don't want people putting tape all over my guns, thank you very much.

yeah i'm not a fan of it either, i usually ask them to stick it somewhere out of the way, under the sight block of an ak is a handy spot for such stickers.

• Supporters

It particularly gets my goat because there will be folk out there with pistols shooting at over 1.3J, quite likely unchronoed, with nobody batting an eyelid about MED or ROF.

Sites should be educating players that appearance and barrel length means very little in airsoft, not surrendering to the fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

At such a site I could play one game with my purpose built sub 350 sniper rifle and it immediately confused the players. The next game it was MED for any boltie.

Which is weird since a dmr m4 with MED vs a normal m4 is somehow perfetly acceptable...

On 27/07/2021 at 13:38, Adolf Hamster said:

yeah i'm not a fan of it either, i usually ask them to stick it somewhere out of the way, under the sight block of an ak is a handy spot for such stickers.`

one of my local uses zip ties instead of tape usualy on your trigger gaurd or sling point

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Misery said:

one of my local uses zip ties instead of tape usualy on your trigger gaurd or sling point

Many sites use ties to mark chonoed guns, but do you mean that they use different colours for DMRs?

That would be notionally sensible, but in practice I've only ever had my tag checked once, ever. And that was when I put my chronoed G36 into its lasgun party dress and (credit to Biohazard airsoft) a marshal spotted that he hadn't seen it in that form at chrono and game over to check.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Misery said:

yeah bud they used blue for dmrs and clear for normal full auto aegs etc

Hopefully not the same colours every day.

nah,although yesterday they just slapped same colour on all rifs XD although had ran out by tiime i got my dmr chrono'd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.