What Have You Learned About Airsoft Recently?

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

9 hours ago, Lozart said:

If it's anything like our place it always goes like this:

Bossman "You watch the match last night then?"

Me "No, I don't like football"

Bossman "But it was an England match!"

Me "But I don't like football"

Bossman "Yeah, but you have to watch England matches! EVERYONE watches England matches"

Me "But I don't like football, you know this. I tell you this EVERY time you ask if I watched the match last night"

Bossman "...so did you see that save in the second half?"

Me *frenzied rage killing playing out in my head* "No. I don't like football"

But, did you see the match ?

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

But, did you see the match ?

*ahem* no, I don't like football.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

Yesterday I learned not to forget to take my watch off before a game.

Ouch. Not -too- pricey, I hope. I wear my cheapo smartwatch, but it's always under my glove; fortunately my fingerless cover it nicely.

22 minutes ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

Today I learned that gate titans that I have not previously had a problem with, saved it all up for this morning and royally shi*t the bed and is now completely dead.

anyone want to buy a gate Titan usb and cables?

My dad had the same problem. Last game it just went poof. No warning, no discernable reason, nothing. I'm going to keep using mine as long as it works and if it dies in just getting a warfet. 

1 hour ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

Today I learned that gate titans that I have not previously had a problem with, saved it all up for this morning and royally shi*t the bed and is now completely dead.

anyone want to buy a gate Titan usb and cables?

That's very annoying to happen. Had one of mine go recently, the saving grace was that it was just a basic model. 

Picked up a Perun Hybrid V3 to give it a go in the future. 

I learned that a lot of "foam filled" suppressors will only have foam near the start and the end. Fortunately I've got some pipe insulation to shove into them, but 2 of my supposedly "foam filled" suppressors only have a baffle at the start and one at the end.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I learned that a lot of "foam filled" suppressors will only have foam near the start and the end. Fortunately I've got some pipe insulation to shove into them, but 2 of my supposedly "foam filled" suppressors only have a baffle at the start and one at the end.

yeah it's pretty common, normally 3 rings wrapped around a spring.

ofc having a bit of space for gas isn't the worst thing in the world.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Impulse said:

That's ackchyually as intended.  Silencers work by diverting the gasses off the to side. You're better with a series of thin baffles with spaces between than filling the whole thing with foam.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

That's ackchyually as intended.  Silencers work by diverting the gasses off the to side. You're better with a series of thin baffles with spaces between than filling the whole thing with foam.

i did experiment with cutting baffle shapes in the rings, wrapping a cut up mousemat around the inside of the chamber (to dampen any noise that hits the can wall), stuff like that.

dont think it did all that much, a decent sized can and an action that's quite enough for suppression to make a difference is pretty much all the way there.

besides, anyone you shoot silent or no will be coming right back for you after he's respawned (assuming he didn't scream hit at the top of his lungs then whisper "he's over there" to his buddies as he walks off)

From the videos I've seen, airsoft silencers/suppressors don't do anything except look the part.

Real weapons have high velocity gas to get rid of but airsoft vented gas makes no noise as it exits anyway.

Edited by EDcase

16 minutes ago, EDcase said:

From the videos I've seen, airsoft silencers/suppressors don't do anything except look the part.

Real weapons have high velocity gas to get rid of but airsoft vented gas makes no noise as it exits anyway.

There is a lot of difference in sound output with the suppressor on and without it on my mk23. 

I can use it in garden without neighbours slamming windows and hurriedly dragging children and pets in to safety lol

Regards 

• Supporters
11 hours ago, EDcase said:

airsoft vented gas makes no noise as it exits anyway

An over-volumed AEG can do a bit of snap, crackle, and pop, but we're talking PDW length barrels, 110mm or thereabouts.

I'd hazard that in most cases you'd be better off just running a longer barrel inside the silencer.

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, EDcase said:

it depends on the action.

for aeg's and gbbr's they're pretty much pointless as the action noise is by far the largest element.

for hpa's and nbb's where there's minimal action noise then they absolutely help with the "pop" you get from the barrel and can bring it down to a level of silence that if you're standing a few feet away the sound of the bb landing makes more noise than the gun does.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

An over-volumed toy can do a bit of snap, crackle, and pop, but we're talking M100 / half-cylinder / 110mm barrel or thereabouts.

I'd hazard that in most cases you'd be better off just running a longer barrel inside the silencer.

for aeg's yes, however it's still largely pointless given the gearbox noise, piston slap etc.

you can do quiet aeg builds (mostly by filling the gun with more foam than is good for it), but you have to really really not want to just carry a mk23 as a secondary for when silence is required.

I can believe there'd be a slight difference for HPA but would be good to have a video comparing with and without.

Yeah, having an inner barrel will have more effect on the BB but no effect on sound 😉

• Supporters
10 hours ago, EDcase said:

I can believe there'd be a slight difference for HPA but would be good to have a video comparing with and without.

Yeah, having an inner barrel will have more effect on the BB but no effect on sound 😉

never took a video, but we're talking the same, if not even more dramatic, as the mk23.

for example a few years back i lent one of my guns to a co-worker for a game (e&l aksu with polarstar f2 and a massive dtk4 suppressor with foamy bits)

at one point i happened to glance over and see him, maybe 5m away open sight lines (ie nothing to block the sound between us)

and the only way i knew he was firing was i could see his finger pulling the trigger.

19 minutes ago, Oneshotscott said:

It's full of screamers

This people getting over shot or moaning due to head shots because only their head is showing?

Today i learned that i should just buy ammo on site if i am on public transport, more space for water/sports/salts drinks. 

Seriously i did 5lt yesterday in prep for today and still did 8lt water and 1lt (2x500ml) lucazade before leaving site. There were some today that were not hydrating as they should. 

Also learnt i really enjoy the cqb. Not the loose collection of structures some call a 'village' but the full on "small but perfectly formed" Red 1 Chiselhurst. So intense. 

I also reaffermmed i enjoy the look on peoples faces when tell them how much my toy gun cost after desicivally beating them in a firefight.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.