Vietnam Builds

Patrolpointman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I've posted these on different platforms (namely IG and various Facebook groups) but for those that haven't seen them before, here are my custom guns for my Nam era USMC impression.

First one I built was my M1 Garand based on the WE M14 platform. I used an ICS stock and real handguards plus a cut-down magazine and CO2 regulator hidden in the stock. Currently pictured in its M1-D sniper variation with 3D printed scope and barrel mount.

IMG_20210423_175747_585.thumb.jpg.e9a864b544e99ebbb226d1c937dee1f3.jpg

Next up we have my XM16E1 based on the Tokyo Marui M4A1 MWS system. Fully custom upper with the carry handle from a WE XM grafted onto the TM receiver, a G&P VN front end, modified lower (removed fencing and M4 trades), G&P receiver extension and real-steel buttstock and pistol grip.

IMG_20210619_123015_524.thumb.jpg.e22458169423c3a4a7682e48d3e0557b.jpg

• Supporters

Wow, those are nice.

Don't feel bad that your zipper has three teeth too many, most people won't spot that.

image.png.03ec21403d1e0cd168a23e268afef969.png

I did spot the blooper on the zip front.👀

Easy mistake to make but had he used photoshop he could have got away with it.😉

• Supporters

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Patrolpointman said:

Got to admit I'm lost on the zipper thing lol

Just alluding to "stitch counters" in the reenactment scene. ;) 

Really though, those are amazing jobs, I love the attention to detail.

Bloody nice kit!

I am always amazed at those side mounted scopes.  These days we use lasers and colorimeters to align a scope dead centre.  Back then they actually designed the things to be 1 1/2" out.   Would have made for some complicated ballistics data.   

22 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Just alluding to "stitch counters" in the reenactment scene. ;) 

Really though, those are amazing jobs, I love the attention to detail.

Haha! I initially thought it was something like that but didn't want to assume! You get the "Akshully" brigade in all walks of like but I'll be the first to admit that my kit isn't perfect and tell them it's always a WIP 😀

I was somewhat limited in what I could use for the M1: I really wanted to use a real gas cylinder assembly but that's a big no-no unfortunately. Still, it loads from the top using clips eight and locks open after eight rounds: what more could I want (besides a ping)?

Thanks for the kudos!

11 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Bloody nice kit!

I am always amazed at those side mounted scopes.  These days we use lasers and colorimeters to align a scope dead centre.  Back then they actually designed the things to be 1 1/2" out.   Would have made for some complicated ballistics data.   

Cheers! I've not actually had the chance to use the M1 in this configuration in anger yet. I've used it at WW2 events and have found that I tend to hit what I aim at with the iron sights. The scope is an old vintage 4x15 air rifle scope with truly horrendous glass, awful light collection and narrow FOV. I suspect it might be redundant!

Edited by Patrolpointman

I learned to shot with scopes like that.  They sharpen up your ability to sight a target both eyes open and take instinctive shots about an hour before dusk.  If nothing else they make a modern baseline Hawke or Sterling seem amazing!   Looks damn good on your rifle though for sure.  

Amazing too to think that legendary snipers like Zaitsev used a 3.5x21 with similar crap glass to head shot Germans at 400 yards.  We are spoiled these days.

Cheers :)

They are indeed used as often as I can get out blasting with them! In fact, they'll be getting an outing at my local this weekend.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.