2nd AEG Recommendation

Chubluke

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone, 

I’ve been playing for about 6 months now and later in the year I’m looking to upgrade to a more advanced aeg.

I’ve been looking at the specna edge 2.0 series which on paper sound amazing especially for the price, but apparently QC has dropped.

I’ve also been looking at an ares honey badger as an alternative, but it appears to not offer as many features as the specna and shoots lower FPS 

I’m wondering if anyone can give me some thoughts on the comparison of the above two, or some other recommendations. I’m looking for an M4 platform with decent range for woodland sites, I’m not a tinkerer really nor do I want to shell out money and time after with immediately having to upgrade parts to make it decent. 

Budget probably about £250-300 for the aeg itself. 

Not tied to any particular brands just looking for good quality and decent usability right out of the box, with good range, if that’s do-able in this price bracket.

If you're willing to dabble in 2nd hand market, you can fish out ICS MARS series M4s with SSS (or S3) mosfet in that price range. From personal experience they're quite good and really well built, they come with microswitch trigger and mosfet has the essential functions (auto to burst, pre-cocking, spring release on safe, self diagnostics and lipo protection cutoff, they all come with EBB which thankfully can be disabled. They work great out of the box, have real quick change spring system (due to split gearbox all you have to do is to pop the pin, open upper receiver, take out spring and put different one back in, slam upper back and put the pin back - there, you're done in 20 seconds) and have superb externals.

Btw. I'm not exaggerating with those 20s spring change:

World record spring changing 😉 Ics Cxp Mars Komodo - YouTube

Edited by ziCk_

Having had the Ares Honey Badger for just over 4 years, I can definitely tell you to avoid it like the plague.

It looks cool (not really, has fuck all to do with the real Q Honey Badger) but the internals are an absolute shit show. Proprietary gearbox and electronics, tinfoil thick shell, zero air seal and a super weak piston. Tappet plates and nozzles are the weakest I've ever seen and Aluminium bushings, lmao.

Couple that with the worst hop rubber I've ever used, you basically pay a ton of money for mediocre parts at best and a very front heavy gun with limited battery space for the sake of a "PeEdEeVuUu" stock.

I don't think there is a single AEG on the market that is truly plug and play, every gun needs at least the hop rubber changed to a more performing one (this depends on the energy output and bb weight used, but generally stock hop rubbers aren't that good).

5 hours ago, Skara said:

Having had the Ares Honey Badger for just over 4 years, I can definitely tell you to avoid it like the plague.

It looks cool (not really, has fuck all to do with the real Q Honey Badger) but the internals are an absolute shit show. Proprietary gearbox and electronics, tinfoil thick shell, zero air seal and a super weak piston. Tappet plates and nozzles are the weakest I've ever seen and Aluminium bushings, lmao.

Couple that with the worst hop rubber I've ever used, you basically pay a ton of money for mediocre parts at best and a very front heavy gun with limited battery space for the sake of a "PeEdEeVuUu" stock.

I don't think there is a single AEG on the market that is truly plug and play, every gun needs at least the hop rubber changed to a more performing one (this depends on the energy output and bb weight used, but generally stock hop rubbers aren't that good).

Yeah totally fair enough, tbf I’ve changed a hop up rubber and an inner barrel before so I’m not afraid to try that, I’m just not looking to get involved in changing a gearbox or anything. Thanks for the heads up on the ares there. Any suggestions on an alternative? Thanks 

A few of my mates run Scorpion Evo's and absolutely swear by them! They aesthetically don't do it for me but might be worth a gander!

Hi.

Not deliberately being contrary to @Skarabut I've had my ares amoeba for about the same time and I've found it to be very reliable and a hi performer. I did have the bushings replaced couple of years ago and last Xmas put a new motor in. Not because old one was screwed but because I  was given one as a gift. I use it cqb and woodland and I play it hard.Been dropped couple of times( only low impact) but never caused a prob.

I've never regretted buying it.

And it's my go to piece.👍

Maybe @Skaragot a Friday afternoon unit 😉

Regards 

2 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Maybe @Skaragot a Friday afternoon unit 😉

Nah, I had two Ares guns and rebuilt both gearboxes.

The thing is, at some point anyone will want to up his gun's performance, but you can't really do that with Ares unless you replace the whole gearbox which kinda defies the point of buying an Ares Amoeba in the first place.

YMMV of course, but this is the experience I had with my guns and a fair few other guns among teammates (tappet plates and bushings ALWAYS died within 10 skirmishes, on every single gun, at one point the local retailer stopped stocking them).

Back to the OP.

I say go for the Specna 2.0 of your choice, in theory they have eliminated the issues that the Edge series is known for.

Or an Evo, which will run fine until it doesn't and then you're in for world of pain.

Thanks for your input everyone. Tbh, if they’ve fixed the QC issues that were floating around with Specna edge I’m pretty confident to take the plunge. It seems like a lot of other stuff around that price range doesn’t offer anywhere near as much, and I’m happy to change an inner barrel and bucking, nub etc. 

Nah. 

I still say its a good gun.used it on way more than ten skirmishes and tappet plate,air nozzle,electronics and gears have never been a problem. Like I say had bushings replaced.I don't muck about with guns unless there is a definite problem( put new motor in only cause it was a gift,still have old one).have never changed cylinder or associated components. On Sunday it chronoed at 336-338 on .2s.

I guess I'm just lucky 👍🙂

Regards 

8 minutes ago, Chubluke said:

Thanks for your input everyone. Tbh, if they’ve fixed the QC issues that were floating around with Specna edge I’m pretty confident to take the plunge. It seems like a lot of other stuff around that price range doesn’t offer anywhere near as much, and I’m happy to change an inner barrel and bucking, nub etc. 

I've got the sa e-05 and that also is a great little gnu.Bought it second hand from an afuk member and skirmished at a few games now and I think it's a solid performer👍

Edited by Shamal
Spelling

1 hour ago, leadly said:

A few of my mates run Scorpion Evo's and absolutely swear by them! They aesthetically don't do it for me but might be worth a gander!

Funny that you mention that, this just arrived :)

Brrrrt - YouTube

• Moderators

you can pick up some nice ICS M4s from Firesupport

I have a EBB version, few years old now... but still runs well

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/search.php?cat=149&manufacturer=&stock=1&search=m4&submit.x=18&submit.y=17

worth looking into ;)

If you want a gun you that has quality internals and externals that are well made and easily interchangeable (that’s what the AR platform is all about) this is a great option

https://www.bztactical.co.uk/e-l-elar-m4a1-aeg-platinum

I rate the G&G Advanced series too at your price range.

I also rate ICS guns, but they are a bit funky externals wise.

I wouldn’t personally by a gun with a factory/proprietary mosfet other than a ASG Scorpion

I mean people bang on about burnt out contacts without a mosfet etc but you’re talking about some serious usage to get to that level of wear.

Then in the future you can fit a quality mosfet if you want, pretty simple.

Edited by Davegolf

• Supporters

I wouldn't over think it.  If you fancy an Edge 2.0, they do offer a lot of tangible value for money.  I'm happy enough with my Edge 1, everything seems well thought out and made, with none of the rough edges from the bad batch last year.  I thought it had an issue with the X-ASR mosfet but it was just a sticky trigger which was likely something I did while I was in the gearbox.  The Aster and magic trigger in the 2.0s will obviate that while offering a bag of tricks.

22 hours ago, Davegolf said:

I mean people bang on about burnt out contacts without a mosfet etc but you’re talking about some serious usage to get to that level of wear.

It's more about the slightly improved response and rate of fire over a mechanical switch than anything, trigger contacts will wear out faster but it's more likely to destroy the plastic housing than to burn the actual plates.....

Unless of course you only spam that trigger in semi auto

Oh I know, but the usual reason people fit a mosfet to begin with is to protect against contact arcing.

I was just trying to make the point that a gun with that many goodies at that price point has cut backs in the package somewhere to make it profitable.

Buy a high quality basic gun as a base.

Externals, mostly.

Metal Specna receivers seem to be somewhat flimsy and as far as furniture goes, they don't really offer much (apart from the latest E/C-20+ models and their URG-I rails, which I will buy at some point).

Also one good way to cheap out is on motors and gears, this is where even the "top" brands fail, most of the times you're given ferrite motors and anemic gears (apart from E&L because they come with SHS gears and some pretty dank neo 16tpa motors that are comparable to SHS HT ones)

On 14/06/2021 at 08:07, Chubluke said:

Hi everyone, 

I’ve been playing for about 6 months now and later in the year I’m looking to upgrade to a more advanced aeg.

Depends what you mean by advanced.  If you want something that shoots better than what you have now, it may well mean upgrading whatever you buy.  

If you want something better quality build wise than a cheapy then LCT and E&L do score well.

It might be worth getting a tech to work on the rifle you have now, and upgrading the lot, although you may end up with a rifle that will never sell for anything like what it cost to build.   

My 'best' rifle, a full steel, etu, mosfet equipped L85 is also the least reliable out of the box and shoots OK.   My CYMA M14s shoot bloody well out of the box, are bulletproof reliability wise and once tuned shoot silly well, whilst being lighter and less than a third of the price.  Tuned they still cost way less than half.

Not trying to make things complicated for you mate.  Just pointing out that the worlds your oyster for rifs these days.  

On 14/06/2021 at 08:07, Chubluke said:

Hi everyone, 

I’ve been looking at the specna edge 2.0 series which on paper sound amazing especially for the price, but apparently QC has dropped.

I’ve also been looking at an ares honey badger as an alternative, but it appears to not offer as many features as the specna and shoots lower FPS 

I’m wondering if anyone can give me some thoughts on the comparison of the above two, or some other recommendations. I’m looking for an M4 platform with decent range for woodland sites, I’m not a tinkerer really nor do I want to shell out money and time after with immediately having to upgrade parts to make it decent. 

Budget probably about £250-300 for the aeg itself. 

Not tied to any particular brands just looking for good quality and decent usability right out of the box, with good range, if that’s do-able in this price bracket.

I may have what you’re looking for, would be a little more than you have budgeted but would not require any further upgrades and comes ready to go in as new condition 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

I may have what you’re looking for, would be a little more than you have budgeted but would not require any further upgrades and comes ready to go in as new condition 

Is it in the back of your windowless white van, on top of a tear-stained mattress?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.