*Help Wanted* Airsoft Gun From the Drawing Board

Guest LordofAll

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest LordofAll

Hello, 

I have two ideas for guns that I want to have made using high-grade polymer and metal (steel or aluminium) as the two primary casing materials. 
I'm not looking to go down the 3D printing route. 

My primary question is, how does one go about getting a polymer casing made from the drawing board ideas stage? 
There’s no schematics or technical drawings, it’s not an existing product, it’s merely a concept. 

Are there company’s out there who can produce bespoke from a concept? 

If you wanted someone to do all of that for you, that will be very very expensive.

You have your visual concept

You then need to dimension all of that $

Technical drawing or CAD/Solidworks etc $$

Test in 3D print $$

Assuming all is good and you want to make it/them;

CNC machine your metal parts $$$

Then you are looking at having bespoke dies made to mold your polymer $$$$

Pay someone else to do all of that for you $$$$

Guest LordofAll
3 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

If you wanted someone to do all of that for you, that will be very very expensive.

Cost is irrelevant really, I know product development is an expensive thing to do and only at the end will you know if it’s commercially viable, that said, I’m starting out with this being solely for my own use. 

Thank you for your ideas on process steps. 

There are literally hundreds of companies who can do all of that for you, just have a Google.

You won’t have any trouble finding four or five companies to do all the work via bidding process if cost really is irrelevant.

You’re looking at around £50k I would guess, maybe a bit more

Latter part of last year I actually asked a friend of mine who works in the metal forming business with cnc facilities the same question when I wanted something bespoke making that I had designed up, and his advice was as follows ………

“DONT DO IT !!!”

He said just the coding of the CNC would cost me like 3 grand as I don’t have the cad files for it and that was “mates rates” and if that was bang on first time no revisions not including the cost & time of Fabbing the item.

/ps Turn the BOLD off on your replies :P 

• Supporters

for a bespoke one-off there are companies that can do cnc machining bespoke, but it's gonna be expensive, as in hundreds of pounds to make something that for a mass produced part would cost a tenner.

the ones i've dealt with you had to at least furnish them with proper drawings/CAD, and to get those you'd need to pay someone with those skills which definately won't be cheap either.

Guest LordofAll

Okay so far we’ve got, it costs a lot, Google and don’t use bold…

So let me respond, considering I’m a multi-millionaire, I don’t care about the cost of my projects. 
“Just Google” - do you think I have not, and do you think this is the only place I have made tentative enquiries? This is rhetorical. 

And lastly Mr Bold… please see all above. 

Edited by FoxhoundStarlight

• Supporters

tenor.gif

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

This guy for real? 

724571D5-C9AB-47A8-9E3C-F0C44327A56A.gif

Lol, it's slightly surreal, I'm thinking 15yo troll🤣

2 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Lol, it's slightly surreal, I'm thinking 15yo troll🤣

And his “MULTI-MILLIONS” is from his boosted lvl 60 Warrior Gold supply from World of Warcraft :P

1 hour ago, FoxhoundStarlight said:

So let me respond, considering I’m a multi-millionaire, I don’t care about the cost of my projects. 
“Just Google” - do you think I have not, and do you think this is the only place I have made tentative enquiries? This is rhetorical. 

Dear Sir,

Please go away. Go right away. Go all the way back to the bridge you live under.

Asking for help then being arrogant because you didn’t immediately get a full set of links and/or companies doffing their caps to help won’t go down well anywhere you numpty 🤣🤣

@FoxhoundStarlight I do hope you found your Tavor BTW 🤣🤣

Find a company or companies that will do the design & production for you:

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=small+batch+cnc+machining

We had a lot of pipe dream enquiries about our sentry gun.  They didn’t go much further when they heard things such as:

‘it costs at least £xxx in parts’ -

‘‘you could do it cheaper but its the only one in the UK that works reliably because it’s over engineered’

(Sometimes responded by - ‘it’s not the only one as x have one as well’ - ‘No, x used ours’)

We even got one who didn’t seem to be put off by cost and asked if we’d build another for them - ‘No problem, but add a few more £££s for labour due to what his time is worth in his real profession’

Funnily enough though, no-one ever comes back with actual money 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, FoxhoundStarlight said:

in that case, i suggest hiring an engineer and asking them, unless you already have one on the payroll of a businesss.

55 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Funnily enough though, no-one ever comes back with actual money 

shock horror as work done by qualified professionals turns out to be expensive when they're not volunteering for a hobby.

1 hour ago, Davegolf said:

Multi millionaire with zero people skills... figures.

Maybe he got his “Millions” from being the author of ….

“How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age”

and yes I’m being ironic/sarcastic with the use of bold

1 hour ago, MiK said:

Maybe he got his “Millions” from being the author of ….

“How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age”

and yes I’m being ironic/sarcastic with the use of bold

You're only allowed to write in bold
IF YOU'RE A MILLIONAIRE.
Because if you're a millionaire, you can do anything you want!
(Except effectively research how to develop a product from initial beer mat sketch to production model. For that, you turn to a random airsoft forum).

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

You're only allowed to write in bold
IF YOU'RE A MILLIONAIRE.
Because if you're a millionaire, you can do anything you want!
(Except effectively research how to develop a product from initial beer mat sketch to production model. For that, you turn to a random airsoft forum).

does it work both ways, ie if i write in bold do i become a millionaire?

edit: sadly it does not appear to work both ways :(

• Supporters

I'm I the only one who thinks it's strange that "Richie Rich" hasn't actually given a basic premise of what wired & wonderful bits he's trying to get commissioned ?, might be something that's not as complex as we're lead to believe, unless of course the OP really is in fact a 15yo dreamer/troll 😏

• Supporters
10 hours ago, FoxhoundStarlight said:

I have lots of experience making bespoke one off airsoft pieces and if you wanted something doing I can do or arrange it all for you. 

Rates for design and machining are between £75 and £150 per hour plus costs.

Also there is always a ghost rate I call twat tax and in your case even if you are a multimillionaire you can't afford it as you are such a humongous cockwomble of a twatwaffle the tax would be like the covid debt.

I go away for one day and look what happens. Chaos! Pack it in all of you and get to bed.....NOW!

🤪

Regards 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

twat tax

ahh, i missed your creativity :P

Just now, Shamal said:

I go away for one day and look what happens. Chaos! Pack it in all of you and get to bed.....NOW!

🤪

Regards 

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!!!!!!11111

i think?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.