Best Anti-fog Eye Protection 2021?

BoneyT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

41 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Good news, my hat is fully charged!

I've just thrown that unit together from a 12V fan[1], a small 7.4V lipo with some kydex wrapped round it to make a holder, a switch, and some silicone tubing, all liberally[2] hot-melted together and finished off with Poundand's very best rattlecan black.

[1] This is running much quieter off of 7.4V than the visually identical one sealed in to my Space Soldier helmet.  I wonder if that might be a 5V unit.

[2] Liberally in the sense of sloppily, lazily and without any care or pride in my work.

That's the same setup I'm looking for with Son's bump helmet.

What did you do with the goggles in terms of plumbing the air tube into them? I've seem some setups that blow-in from the sides (around the wearers temple - like exfog), and others blowing down through the top of the goggle frame.

41 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Good news, my hat is fully charged!

image.thumb.png.4c5c845dc4ff9cf5a09dcb569b7f51ec.png

I've just thrown that unit together from a 12V fan[1], a small 7.4V lipo with some kydex wrapped round it to make a holder, a switch, and some silicone tubing, all liberally[2] hot-melted together and finished off with Poundand's very best rattlecan black.

[1] This is running much quieter off of 7.4V than the visually identical one sealed in to my Space Soldier helmet.  I wonder if that might be a 5V unit.

[2] Liberally in the sense of sloppily, lazily and without any care or pride in my work.

If it works and it does the job who cares what it looks like. I keep telling myself that about the wife.🤭

After trying Dye i4, Bolle X800, various home brew fans etc, I just went to a Warq. That's it. Sorted, no fog ever, rain, sun, running, sitting. Plus total protection, lightweight, and jusst one strap to do up. can wear my normal glasses underneath and they don't steam either

The air flow is a bit like the cash flow.....fast!

They are v expensive.

The blowers are not that expensive less than a £10 for 4, my issue is the wiring, I’m gonna pop round my local electronic shop in the week and see about that.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

What did you do with the goggles in terms of plumbing the air tube into them? I've seem some setups that blow-in from the sides (around the wearers temple - like exfog), and others blowing down through the top of the goggle frame. 

image.png.7c6fd34fb1a8007a0248660cf008709b.png

Just drilled a hole in the side, there's plenty of meat on these goggles between the frames.  I've also enlarged those existing vent holes a bit with a pointed soldering iron.

2 hours ago, MiK said:

@Rogerborg what’s the air flow like ?

Gentle, which is all I need given that these are already dual paned and I'm using Revision wipes. It's just for the times when I'm still after exertion.  I have FMA fan goggles with a tiny side fan which also work, but I prefer these goggles as they're slightly neater and lighter.

17 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

When I rode bikes for a living, I often advised the new lads to wipe the inside of their visor with a raw onion.  

Was that an actual suggestion or was it a can of headlight fluid and pack of skyhooks type thing?

On 12/06/2021 at 19:28, rj1986 said:

Was that an actual suggestion or was it a can of headlight fluid and pack of skyhooks type thing?

It was very much left handed screw driver type advice.  

Suck or blow?

Just had a 25x25mm fan arrive today. 5v version - planning to use a cheap Poundland 2000mAh rechargeable USB power bank.

It's a perfect fit on my paintball goggles (Empire E-Flex) - sits flush with the top of the lens.

image.png.21a3094d28c5ded27e7c030239887627.png

image.png.feb86cbe84b04c3e5c4fa2bd3238645f.png

Oh I will add if you have some mouldable putty (like Sugru) to surround the fan/s it will cut down on a lot of the fan whine and will protect it a little too

F16A6923-825C-4CFD-8005-0088EB680D99.jpeg

Edited by MiK
/bah I thought I was editing my first reply

1 hour ago, rj1986 said:

This was my invention, with the switch relocated to my right shoulder 

image.jpg

Wow! Is there not a chance that would blow your eyeballs out! Looks v powerful 👍👀

Edited by Shamal
Spelin

• Supporters
On 14/06/2021 at 19:29, Speedbird_666 said:

Suck or blow?

image.png.21a3094d28c5ded27e7c030239887627.png

Nice fit.  I've never been quite sure what to do with a top fan. My solutions blow inwards from the side and across the lens.  On top, I'd probably try it blowing upwards rather than shoving hot sweaty brow-air back down, but I'd be prepared to flip it over if that doesn't work out.

15 hours ago, Shamal said:

Wow! Is there not a chance that would blow your eyeballs out! Looks v powerful 👍👀

I'm trying to work out a way to keep the pressure up. If i put the fan exhaust next to the goggles, or run a very short tube, its like a leaf blower, but when its tubed up the pressure drops to the equivalent of a person exhaling, which to this point has been enough.

If i tape the box up, theres not enough airflow coming in for the fan to work.

So thats my next thing to tinker with.

Or try with 2 smaller fans in a series circuit, but last time  i ran out of time, tubing and patience

Edited by rj1986

I quickly put my setup together on a spare set of goggles (before I cut up my 'good' set).

I'll wire in a switch at some point, but initial results in testing so far are promising.  I will definitely use Sugru to mount it to cut down on noise/vibration a little as my Peltors tend to exacerbate things.

2200mAh (probably ~1800mAh 'real world') should give me way more than a game day's worth of continuous use.

image.png.dbfee57fc7e7a7ce53ccd9a9b41dc46c.png

image.png.181c00eeb431cc4a402583f8416aa636.png

image.png.02b985b9c512767d8cdbe8e581c2d1a3.png

This is what I’m thinking about doing in my skull mask if I don’t use my Xfog for it, make the mask self contained fan either side with a battery in the middle and a on/off switch on one side 

( @Speedbird_666 sorry for nicking your image to show my idea as I’m not yet at the stage with my skull mask )

8856AE09-0AD3-4E08-A7DE-C4E44A507D3A.jpeg

1 hour ago, MiK said:

This is what I’m thinking about doing in my skull mask if I don’t use my Xfog for it, make the mask self contained fan either side with a battery in the middle and a on/off switch on one side 

( @Speedbird_666 sorry for nicking your image to show my idea as I’m not yet at the stage with my skull mask )

8856AE09-0AD3-4E08-A7DE-C4E44A507D3A.jpeg

I quite like that setup.

Something I might experiment with - it would be easier to have a (smaller) battery on the goggles rather than use a wire to the back. Maybe one fan to suck, and the other to 'blow' to keep a constant flow of air from one side to the other?

In my current goggle-hack fan set up, both blow down into the goggles and that jeeps my glasses fog free 101% of the time the fan is running as I only switch them on when I start to see a bit of fog starting 

• 2 months later...

I'm sure I've seen a guy at UCAP Greenops that looks like he has a tiny fan hooked or mounted on the side arm of his regular safety glasses. No idea how that would work, it was about the size of one of those old ipod minis. Reckon anything like this could be done?

1 hour ago, Stucks said:

I'm sure I've seen a guy at UCAP Greenops that looks like he has a tiny fan hooked or mounted on the side arm of his regular safety glasses. No idea how that would work, it was about the size of one of those old ipod minis. Reckon anything like this could be done?

You mean something like this:

1 hour ago, Stucks said:

That will be me then. 

Doing a bit of testing currently and 5 games in with zero fog. That's a mixture of woodland and CQB sites. Mate used the 2nd set this weekend at UCAP Vendetta and zero fog for the whole game.

To set the scene a little I had sweat running into my eyes at some point and still the glasses were fog free.

For the design I could probably ditch the variable control as I run them at full speed most of the time. They probably could run at low or medium most of the time but because the fans are almost silent I just leave it on full. The whole thing runs off a small USB charger and lasts the whole day.glasses.thumb.jpg.ba98c316794aaf5f558273e7dc8fa450.jpge glasses1.thumb.jpg.318893bd8ec670a664c0bbd523ac3134.jpg

it's not really a viable commercial product as it involves a bit of double sided sticky tape and using electrical tape to hold the wires to the legs of the glasses. I've only used it on my glasses and i need to make adjustments for a mates Wiley X frame (actually the legs are wider so I need to make the housing longer to fit over the bump).

On 15/06/2021 at 20:22, Rogerborg said:

Nice fit.  I've never been quite sure what to do with a top fan. My solutions blow inwards from the side and across the lens.  On top, I'd probably try it blowing upwards rather than shoving hot sweaty brow-air back down, but I'd be prepared to flip it over if that doesn't work out.

I have a very similar setup, an FMA fan ripped out carefully removed and fitted on on a pair of valken tangos with the thermal lens. First up, thermal lenses are magical, but on the occasional times they do fog, or I need to cool down a bit, the fan does just the job. 

I can post some pics later.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.