Are You Required to Register an Airsoft Gun Under Your Name After Purchase?

JamesCollins80

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to legality and ownership of airsoft RIF, so apologies if I come across as dull-witted and trying to overcomplicate the subject.

From what I have read, it isn't illegal to own an airsoft RIF in the UK, but rather how you obtained it. For example, if you don't have a valid defence, but an RIF was given to you as a gift by someone with a defence (Ukara for example), then it is legal. It would only be considered an offence if they sold it to you, when you don't have a valid defence.

The main topic:

My brother's friend has such a licence. He offered to give some of their airsoft RIF to him as a gift, which shouldn't be illegal.

My questions are:

- Are RIF registered under your name? And if so, do you need to confirm with someone in a higher position that you possess one?

- Would those RIF be registered under the name of my brother's friend? And if they were to gift the RIF to my brother, would he need to transfer them to his name that certifies he now legally owns them?

- Do you need documentation to confirm where the RIF came from? As in, confirm the person who gifted it to you has a valid defence. (And require a signature of some sort?)

- Would the person with the valid defence that gifted you the RIF, need to provide documentation on where they bought the RIF? (To confirm they bought it legally?)

Hopefully you will understand what I mean. I tend to overcomplicate things, but want to make sure that there wouldn't be any problems if my brother was ever asked how be obtained them. And was required to provide evidence.

Thanks. Enjoy your day.

Sincerely, J.

There is no Airsoft gun register as there is no way to register Airsoft guns as they don't have serial numbers. The only people who would care how you got the guns is the police so don't give them a reason to ask. Don't have the RIFs in public or kept them in a place that is visible to the public. Only use them at an organised Airsoft site with the appropriate liability insurance. If you are transporting them make sure they are covered in proper gun bags that are secure. The laws we are allowed to keep RIFs are not well thought out and have never been tested in court don't be the first.

I think no to all questions.

And there is no such 'license'

Well I've never had one in the time I've been playing.

👍

Regards 

Alright, that should be fine then. Thanks for the replies.

I just get paranoid sometimes when it comes to these things

12 minutes ago, BigStew said:

There is no Airsoft gun register as there is no way to register Airsoft guns as they don't have serial numbers. The only people who would care how you got the guns is the police so don't give them a reason to ask. Don't have the RIFs in public or kept them in a place that is visible to the public. Only use them at an organised Airsoft site with the appropriate liability insurance. If you are transporting them make sure they are covered in proper gun bags that are secure. The laws we are allowed to keep RIFs are not well thought out and have never been tested in court don't be the first.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. I just tend to overthink these things lol. I thought the same thing, but just wanted to make sure if that was the case.

16 minutes ago, Shamal said:

I think no to all questions.

And there is no such 'license'

Well I've never had one in the time I've been playing.

👍

Regards 

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

So even if someone had an RIF and took it to a Ukara-registered airsoft sight, then they wouldn't ask you to show a Ukara membership?

Kind regards, J.

UKARA is really only there to protect retailers. For you it's just proof that you are member of a site. Site owners only concerns are that the guns FPS are Site legal and you are not going to act like a dick on site. Golden rule of Airsoft is don't be a dick and you'll be fine.

UKARA and other 'defences' are a mechanism to allow the SALE of RIFs. Nothing more.

UKARA and other 'defences' have NO bearing on the ownership of RIFs. There are still many RIFs out there that pre-date the VCRA.

You will not need to prove anything to a site once you have ownership of a RIF, however that ownership came about.

• Supporters

Hi James, and welcome to AF-UK.

I get where you're coming from, it's best to be sure when it comes to anything assault-toy related.  And your understanding is correct, gifting is not an offence.

So I'll just re-echo all of the above: the offence is committed at the point of sale (or manufacture, importation, or modification of a non-realistic imitation into a realistic imitation) as per VCRA 2006 S36

The defences are as per Section 37 (which doesn't list airsoft) plus "permitted activities" as added by 2007 regulations.  That doesn't say airsoft either, we're actually reliant on an explanatory circular written by some anonymous apparatchik.

However, none of that applies to ownership, and it's never been an offence to own, obtain, or attempt to obtain, a RIF if you're 18+.

What does matter is Firearms Act 1968 Section 19, possession in public which covers any imitation firearm, realistic or otherwise, loaded or otherwise - it's actually stricter for us than for firearms or shotguns!

That requires us to prove a reasonable excuse for public possession, e.g. being on the way to or from an airsoft skirmish.  Having a UKARA number (not a "licence") is neither necessary nor sufficient, though it can't hurt.

And the thing to ponder is that how you obtained it won't be an issue unless and until you're stopped with it in public.  At that point, if you have a reasonable excuse for possession (airsoft use), that's also the defence for whoever sold it to you (or for you turning an IF into a RIF).  In practice, it's simply not an issue, and nobody will ever care as long as your use of it is sensible.

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Hi James, and welcome to AF-UK.

I get where you're coming from, it's best to be sure when it comes to anything assault-toy related.  And your understanding is correct, gifting is not an offence.

So I'll just re-echo all of the above: the offence is committed at the point of sale (or manufacture, importation, or modification of a non-realistic imitation into a realistic imitation) as per VCRA 2006 S36

The defences are as per Section 37 (which doesn't list airsoft) plus "permitted activities" as added by 2007 regulations.  That doesn't say airsoft either, we're actually reliant on an explanatory circular written by some anonymous apparatchik.

However, none of that applies to ownership, and it's never been an offence to own, obtain, or attempt to obtain, a RIF if you're 18+.

What does matter is Firearms Act 1968 Section 19, possession in public which covers any imitation firearm, realistic or otherwise, loaded or otherwise - it's actually stricter for us than for firearms or shotguns!

That requires us to prove a reasonable excuse for public possession, e.g. being on the way to or from an airsoft skirmish.  Having a UKARA number (not a "licence") is neither necessary nor sufficient, though it can't hurt.

And the thing to ponder is that how you obtained it won't be an issue unless and until you're stopped with it in public.  At that point, if you have a reasonable excuse for possession (airsoft use), that's also the defence for whoever sold it to you (or for you turning an IF into a RIF).  In practice, it's simply not an issue, and nobody will ever care as long as your use of it is sensible.

Hi Rogerborg.

Thank you for making it clear for me and telling me the acts (laws) regarding the possession of an RIF.

I feel more calm after reading your comment. :)

Sincerely, J.

• Supporters

No problem, and you're right to be cautious.  However, there are no legal issues with ownership, and gifting is fine for transfer.

That said, personally I won't even post images of myself with a RIF online, given the raging boner that some police forces have for going after anything that looks like an assault toy.  It's very rare, but it does happen.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

No problem, and you're right to be cautious.  However, there are no legal issues with ownership, and gifting is fine for transfer.

That said, personally I won't even post images of myself with a RIF online, given the raging boner that some police forces have for going after anything that looks like an assault toy.  It's very rare, but it does happen.

Section 127 is such an absurd part of law, the list of things people have been convicted under it for being "grossly offensive" is insane. Scotland does have a particular hard-on for using as a sledgehammer too.

• Jedi_Master changed the title to Are You Required to Register an Airsoft Gun Under Your Name After Purchase?
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.