Buying Real Steel

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, I'm interested in buying real steel stuff but, new to the subject.

My question is, if ordering from places like zibmilitaria, brownells, etc. Is it better to give them your UKARA details or does it not matter? I'm assuming with brownells UK it's unnecessary but not sure with international sites.

Thanks for any help.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, CamoNick96 said:

My question is, if ordering from places like zibmilitaria, brownells, etc. Is it better to give them your UKARA details or does it not matter? I'm assuming with brownells UK it's unnecessary but not sure with international sites.

Thanks for any help.

As the rocket says UKARA and anything else airsoft legislation related has rock all bearing on buying surplus gun parts or anything else ‘real’ 👍

• Supporters
2 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Though you might just get a visit from plod anyway...

No you won’t , unless your trying to buy complete guns or any other stupid things like that .

27 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

No you won’t , unless your trying to buy complete guns or any other stupid things like that .

Well, there's at least a couple of members on here that have had visits from the police after buying legal parts from the US so it's certainly possible.

The key thing is to avoid gas pressure bearing part, like gas blocks or bolts etc.  Anything external wise should be good to go.

• Supporters
18 hours ago, CamoNick96 said:

Thanks for any help.

All as above ref the UKARA stuff, be aware though that a lot of US sites will deem almost everything to be ITAR restricted even if it's as simple as a clip on handguard!

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Lozart said:

All as above ref the UKARA stuff, be aware though that a lot of US sites will deem almost everything to be ITAR restricted even if it's as simple as a clip on handguard!

Indeed and it’s well bizarre what they do and don’t slap ITAR on , couple of yrs ago was after an L1A1 flash hider , nope not a chance it was ITAR’ed BUT I could have bought the bolt carrier from the same supplier no problem ! 😳

1 hour ago, Neptune said:

Flash hiders are restricted under the Firearms Act 1968, so I wouldn't recommend trying to import one of those.

Yup, prob because it’s part of the barrel assembly

It's not that it's part of a the barrel assembly, it's that parts that reduce noise and/or flash are restricted.

"...an accessory to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon where the accessory is designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon."

13 minutes ago, Neptune said:

It's not that it's part of a the barrel assembly, it's that parts that reduce noise and/or flash are restricted.

"...an accessory to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon where the accessory is designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon."

That makes sense. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Neptune said:

Flash hiders are restricted under the Firearms Act 1968, so I wouldn't recommend trying to import one of those.

I did not know that ! I took it as read that suppressors , silencers would be for obvious reasons but not the flash hider . Scary thing is I bought a real one a couple of yrs past , I picked one up for my Dragunov from Hungary  and was none the wiser ! 

Flash hiders are an absolute no no in the UK but suppressors/moderators are an odd one. If you want to have a moderator for a firearm you must have a space on your FAC for it. Suppressors for airsoft guns are freely available. Apart from build quality and thread size I'm not sure where the line is drawn.

On a tangent regarding supressors, ignoring the legalities of international weapon exports and how they are regarding in weapons licensing/certification…..

There is a different perception of them on either side of the pond.

In the US the feeling is often that they are not permitted but you just need to get approval and pay a tax to ATF.

But many Americans don’t like anything federal so that counts as oppression of their rights and people try to come up with naming excuses such as ‘it’s not a suppressor, it’s a barrel rain cover’

(in a similar manner to the ‘freeman of the land’ stopped by the police who won’t show a driving licence because they ‘aren’t driving but just travelling’. These always end so well)

In principle within the UK for legitimate use on real firearms they are encouraged to reduce noise.  A suppressor for a firearm needs to be appropriately registered, but for airsoft and paintball etc there’s no issue (unless you have a ‘real’ one which could spark special questions - and in which case it won’t be properly effective without the gas pressures they are designed for)

We can happily have a tube just for look or a functional suppressor designed for the muzzle air pressures etc 

On 09/06/2021 at 23:58, hitmanNo2 said:

Well, there's at least a couple of members on here that have had visits from the police after buying legal parts from the US so it's certainly possible.

Yup.

I've had a visit from the old bill after buying a holster and a TLR1 torch from the states.

Was kind of pathetic to be honest, they pitched up about 4 weeks after it'd been delivered. Knocked on the door asked if I had ordered the items and why, then just kinda wandered off.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.