Not a New Player but Back After a Very Very Long Break and Have Some Questions

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone, so technically I'm not new just haven't played in well over 10 years but would love to get back into the game but have some questions. Namely about UKARA. I bought my stuff long before that all came in and then for the few years after that when I was still playing I didn't buy any new guns and played so sporadically that I never thought to get registered.

I don't drive but am moving out of a middle-of-nowhere type location towards civilisation, cheltenham, which means I could potentially get over to Bristol via train for games at the courthouse however back when I used to play I was more a woodland person so only have long-guns which really wouldn't work in that sort of area.

I'd rather not have to rent if I don't have to so was curious about the two-tone options. If I were to buy some two tones, play the requisite 3 games and get registered, how easy would it be for me to convert them to non-two tone. Presumably I couldn't just remove the paint as that kinda negates the point of doing it so was thinking I'd probably just have to replace the parts that have been painted. So not sure if it'd be better to sell them "as fairly new" at that point, swallow some losses, and then just buy non two-tone after that or just buy the replacement parts?

Also side note, I am a programmer/game dev by trade and back in 2011 I released a little iOS/Android app called Airsoft Helper, I've no doubt there are more options now but I'd still be interested in creating some more apps so if anyone has any ideas of things they'd find helpful please let me know!

Welcome back !!

Lots of us have “lost” their UKARA but as long as we don’t try and sell them or flash them about in public we are good, I would personally pick one or two of you older pew-pews and look at/down the upgrade route to make them “playable” until I have done the 3 game rule and got my UKARA and buy something nice n shiney :P

As long as they way your carrying your Pew’s doesn’t look like Pews whilst using “pubic-transport” then you should be ok

Edited by MiK

Thanks!

Sadly without driving it's hard to get to woodland sites, particularly with public transport on a sunday, so I'll most likely only be able to go to CQB sites ( unless there are any woodland sites in city centres near train stations ) and I don't think my G3 SG1 will fit round the corners of many urban sites 🙂

Was thinking of buying something a little smaller than that to literally get in the door.

Have you thought about going “pistol only” for a few games just to get your UKARA

or asking about here if anyone close by is up for some car sharing for a petrol split ?

Edited by MiK

Hi Graham 

Welcome back to the fold.👍

It would be worth putting the feelers out for anyone in your area that would be willing to pick you up for a bit of fuel money and pick up a battle buddy at same time👍

Have fun and enjoy your airsoft rebirth lol.

Regards 

6 minutes ago, MiK said:

Have you thought about going “pistol only” for a few games just to get your UKARA

or asking about here if anyone close by is up for some car sharing for a petrol split ?

Hey posted same idea but you pipped me before I submitted lol

23 minutes ago, Shamal said:

You snooze - You loose*

*trust me I ain’t that fast out in the field 😂

Guest Mr. No_Face
1 hour ago, Graham Ranson said:

I'd rather not have to rent if I don't have to so was curious about the two-tone options. If I were to buy some two tones, play the requisite 3 games and get registered, how easy would it be for me to convert them to non-two tone. Presumably I couldn't just remove the paint as that kinda negates the point of doing it so was thinking I'd probably just have to replace the parts that have been painted. So not sure if it'd be better to sell them "as fairly new" at that point, swallow some losses, and then just buy non two-tone after that or just buy the replacement parts?

You wouldn't have to waste money spending on external parts the two tone paint jobs come off easily enough. As soon as I got my UKARA reactivated I removed the very same day with the help of some white spirit alcohol. One of the things I made sure to do is contact the retailer and preview what the Two tone looks like and make sure the parts that are painted are easily separated from the main receiver so dunking them in alcohol would be easy. It doesn't hurt to request which parts you want painted either as long as 50% of the gun is covered. You'd want to keep things like the main receiver untouched. 

449189288_TWOTONE.png.d248f430f409e0c02353ca2284074a28.png

600107487_TWOTONE2.png.0eaf119687fab1a436a13f1a2cc38b64.png

It's entirely up to what you decide to do. This is just something I did because I wanted a high performance AEG to have fun on the field with whilst I fulfilled my UKARA requirements.

• Supporters

Hi and welcome back.

Yes, a G3 would be a bit unwieldy in CQB.

Paint does come off, and legally speaking, UKARA is unreleated to modifying an IF into a RIF, it's a defence for retailers, not for you.  If you've got future games booked then you can adduce a defence, since it's based on future intentions.  The reality is that nobody is ever going to ask how or when or why the paint came off.

Going pistol only is an interesting suggestion, and perfectly doable in indoor CQB. You'll generally just get a painted slide, which is easy enough to deal with, plus it's easier to transport.

The other option is buying used.  It's entirely up to the seller who they want to sell to.  They're the one technically committing an offence (but again, nobody will care). You're fine to buy or attempt to buy a RIF regardless of your own situation.

Hello & welcome.

Surely for the price of a two-tone you could just rent for the required 3 games and then use your own kit? 
That’s my plan anyway.

Equally, as has been said, what’s the likelihood of anyone asking about your UKARA defence? Just get yourself a violin case to transport those RIFs on the train.

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

Just get yourself a violin case to transport those RIFs on the train.

So we're clear, having a UKARA number is neither necessary nor sufficient for possession in pubilc. You need an reasonable excuse each time you do it, i.e. taking it to or from an airsoft site.

It also doesn't matter if it's a RIF or an IF.  A homeless in Scotland got convicted for possession of a bright orange plastic springer which even the arresting constable conceded was clearly a toy.  Didn't matter to the letter of the law.

19 hours ago, MiK said:

I used to love pistol only so yea that could certainly be an option.

I also hadn't thought of asking around so yea good idea. I'll know noone after the move so could be a good way to meet some people.

19 hours ago, Shamal said:

Hi Graham 

Welcome back to the fold.👍

It would be worth putting the feelers out for anyone in your area that would be willing to pick you up for a bit of fuel money and pick up a battle buddy at same time👍

Have fun and enjoy your airsoft rebirth lol.

Regards 

Just when I thought I was out and all that!

Thanks for the welcome back! Yea definitely asking around on here is a good shout!

18 hours ago, Mr. No_Face said:

You wouldn't have to waste money spending on external parts the two tone paint jobs come off easily enough. As soon as I got my UKARA reactivated I removed the very same day with the help of some white spirit alcohol. One of the things I made sure to do is contact the retailer and preview what the Two tone looks like and make sure the parts that are painted are easily separated from the main receiver so dunking them in alcohol would be easy. It doesn't hurt to request which parts you want painted either as long as 50% of the gun is covered. You'd want to keep things like the main receiver untouched. 

449189288_TWOTONE.png.d248f430f409e0c02353ca2284074a28.png

600107487_TWOTONE2.png.0eaf119687fab1a436a13f1a2cc38b64.png

It's entirely up to what you decide to do. This is just something I did because I wanted a high performance AEG to have fun on the field with whilst I fulfilled my UKARA requirements.

Perfect! Great to know it'd be easy to remove myself. Thanks!

17 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Hi and welcome back.

Yes, a G3 would be a bit unwieldy in CQB.

Paint does come off, and legally speaking, UKARA is unreleated to modifying an IF into a RIF, it's a defence for retailers, not for you.  If you've got future games booked then you can adduce a defence, since it's based on future intentions.  The reality is that nobody is ever going to ask how or when or why the paint came off.

Going pistol only is an interesting suggestion, and perfectly doable in indoor CQB. You'll generally just get a painted slide, which is easy enough to deal with, plus it's easier to transport.

The other option is buying used.  It's entirely up to the seller who they want to sell to.  They're the one technically committing an offence (but again, nobody will care). You're fine to buy or attempt to buy a RIF regardless of your own situation.

Ah right so yea if I can find a way to get to a woodland site with my current stuff I should be all fine in regards to UKARA as I have a legitimate reason.

17 hours ago, Madhouse said:

Hello & welcome.

Surely for the price of a two-tone you could just rent for the required 3 games and then use your own kit? 
That’s my plan anyway.

Equally, as has been said, what’s the likelihood of anyone asking about your UKARA defence? Just get yourself a violin case to transport those RIFs on the train.

If I can only get to CQB then my current stuff ( well, I say "current" but neither are that current any more ) wouldn't suit, plus who doesn't like new shiny toys?

16 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

So we're clear, having a UKARA number is neither necessary nor sufficient for possession in pubilc. You need an reasonable excuse each time you do it, i.e. taking it to or from an airsoft site.

It also doesn't matter if it's a RIF or an IF.  A homeless in Scotland got convicted for possession of a bright orange plastic springer which even the arresting constable conceded was clearly a toy.  Didn't matter to the letter of the law.

So yea if I can make it to a woodland site I'd be fine as I have a reason, but if I want to go CQB I'll need two tone for now which is fine. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.