Hello From Portsmouth

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone, I am Sebastian, and I am quite new to the airsoft, but I really enjoyed every last bit of it, including after lunch when belly is full and many players just go home. Got myself some stuff already a decent rifle, pistol, some gear, waiting for my medium rifle size bag to arrive and actually I want to take advantage and ask for some tips, I am looking to buy an ACOG scope 4x32 which I have seen is very nice and found it for about £60 on Amazon, is for a G&G TR4-18, any advice? I am booked for next week at Ambush Activities and this will be the third site I will be trying after South Combat closed and Badlands have nothing until end of June. Anyone here going next Sunday to Ambush Activities?

Thanks

• Supporters

Hi Sebastian, and welcome to AFUK.

I'm guessing this or similar?  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTSCOPE-Hunting-Optical-Fiber-Reticle/dp/B08FB4WY9D

I can't speak to that particular model, but I will note that quality control on Chinese scopes is very hit and miss.  However, Amazon at least gives an easy return if you get a lemon (as I did from Ali Express), and most owners seem happy.

However, several reviewers flag up that the eye relief is short, which might be an issue depending on what eye and face protection you're using.  It's also quite common for airsofters to put optics on risers to get a more comfortable view through them.  Pic for attention, and you'll notice that I've set the scope as far back as I can because of the eye relief issue.

image.png.cb2c00527d67d2685d3d3aa007765995.png

And finally I do feel compelled to note that there's really no need for a magnified scope at airsoft 1.1J AEG ranges.  I run a cheap 1x40 red dot outdoors, and a cheaper holographic site indoors (where there are fewer reflections).  That lemon-scope there is on a DMR.

Oh, and it's got no sight protector because it's a £21 optic with a plastic objective lens that might improve it if it gets shot out. ;)  If you're running anything nicer, I'd highly recommend popping a sight protector in front of it, for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tactical-QMFIVE-Shooting-Protector-Foldable/dp/B06XZR34YH

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Hi Sebastian, and welcome to AFUK.

I'm guessing this or similar?  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTSCOPE-Hunting-Optical-Fiber-Reticle/dp/B08FB4WY9D

I can't speak to that particular model, but I will note that quality control on Chinese scopes is very hit and miss.  However, Amazon at least gives an easy return if you get a lemon (as I did from Ali Express), and most owners seem happy.

However, several reviewers flag up that the eye relief is short, which might be an issue depending on what eye and face protection you're using.  It's also quite common for airsofters to put optics on risers to get a more comfortable view through them.  Pic for attention, and you'll notice that I've set the scope as far back as I can because of the eye relief issue.

image.png.cb2c00527d67d2685d3d3aa007765995.png

And finally I do feel compelled to note that there's really no need for a magnified scope at airsoft 1.1J AEG ranges.  I run a cheap 1x40 red dot outdoors, and a cheaper holographic site indoors (where there are fewer reflections).  That lemon-scope there is on a DMR.

Oh, and it's got no sight protector because it's a £21 optic with a plastic objective lens that might improve it if it gets shot out. ;)  If you're running anything nicer, I'd highly recommend popping a sight protector in front of it, for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tactical-QMFIVE-Shooting-Protector-Foldable/dp/B06XZR34YH

After having 2 reflex sights shot out I can strongly recommend sight protectors.👀.

It's cheaper and easy to cut and shape replacement plexiglass when they get cracked,which they will.

I was really pissed though when my night evolution weapon light got trashed down the bunker. It cost me £60 sobs! 

I can't even get the front holding ring off to replace the lens!☹

Regards 

Welcome Sebastian.

I agree with Rogerborg, that 4x may be a bit too much magnification unless you have a very accurate and consistent shooter.

2x will be more useful in general.

Simple 1x red dots are the most common

...and yes, buy or make a lens protector...

THIS or THIS kind of thing

Edited by EDcase

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all and sorry for the delay in replying but I need to turn on the notifications as I am not getting any.

I finally bought one for £55 on Amazon used it once and I am quite happy. Bought it without reading your answers because I didn’t got any notifications. 
Agree with Rogerborg and Edcase about being too much magnification as my G&G is not that great but at least I see the guys from quite far and know where to expect them from, specially when we are defending. 
I will look into some protection after reading your replies and thanks for the tips. 
thanks all

Edited by Sebastian1985
Mistake

Hey Sebastian, 

if you’re in the Portsmouth area depending if you prefer woodland or cqb
decent woodland site not too far from you (just up the A3 at liphook) is ucap greenops.

lovely little woodland site. 
As for the x4 optic just use it for ID targets at distance. 
I generally watch my line of bbs for actual accuracy! 

beat of luck!

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, you are quite spoilt for sites if you have a car, how did you find ambush?

Close to you are also (as mentioned) UCAP green Ops

You also have South Coast CQB, badlands near rowlands castle (i think they have a bio bb rule).

27 minutes ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Welcome, you are quite spoilt for sites if you have a car, how did you find ambush?

Close to you are also (as mentioned) UCAP green Ops

You also have South Coast CQB, badlands near rowlands castle (i think they have a bio bb rule).

I'm thinking of giving badlands a try. Very close to.me so makes sense.

You are right they only allow  biodegradable ammo

Regards 

On 25/07/2021 at 09:45, Shamal said:

I'm thinking of giving badlands a try. Very close to.me so makes sense.

You are right they only allow  biodegradable ammo

Regards 

I mean, when i visit/shoot with family we went from CS to Ambush, as Ambush was a great first experiance (and each time since then) we/they didnt try any of the others in the area. 

Badlands did get a mark against it for the bio bbs, but then bios have come a way since we had a look around at close sites when CS was still open.....

Do go and let me know!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.