Recommended Pistols?

YungEb_

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

24 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I'm sure it's a good pistol but I would hesitate to recommend the Shadow 2 unless someone had handled one. Mostly because they are nearly 1.3KG, compared to 840g of the P-09. 

That's how you train them GUNS you know... bicep ain't gonna grow itself! 😜

19 minutes ago, ziCk_ said:

That's how you train them GUNS you know... bicep ain't gonna grow itself! 😜

Haha, it's not my arms I'd be concerned with. It's my keeping my belt/trousers up!

I do enjoy the “it’s too heavy crowd ”, seems to be followed by plastic slides aren’t “real” enough.

I prefer my toys to be similar in weight to their real life counterparts whilst performing to their maximum as Airsoft items 

An arp 9 with a drum mag is just not my thing on so many levels but that doesn’t mean I don’t occasionally run a hicap magazine, it just doesn’t happen very often these days 

my favourite though are the milsim community who deem gas mags too heavy, if you are going for immersion then they are as close as you can get 

20 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Haha, it's not my arms I'd be concerned with. It's my keeping my belt/trousers up!

Nothing worse than trying to advance while your trousers slowly fall down.

Edited by BigStew

@Stratton Oakmont - I always say go for the RIF which matches your requirements/expectations. For me, anything over 1KG is more than I want on my belt. A Shadow 2 is twice the weight of a Glock 17, so anyone who hasn't even seen one in person should be aware of that. Again, if they are looking for a heavy pistol then it matches their requirements. Some people are more into immersion/Milsim than me, which is fine. I keep my kit mostly realistic but from experience, know I'll enjoy the day more if it's practical.

I will add that it's the same with a primary, I know I would have far more fun with a ARP9 and drum mag for £230 than if I spent £900 on a Umarex PSG1. Therefore I would advise the former over the latter to most players, especially new ones.

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

16 minutes ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

I do enjoy the “it’s too heavy crowd ”, seems to be followed by plastic slides aren’t “real” enough.

I prefer my toys to be similar in weight to their real life counterparts whilst performing to their maximum as Airsoft items 

An arp 9 with a drum mag is just not my thing on so many levels but that doesn’t mean I don’t occasionally run a hicap magazine, it just doesn’t happen very often these days 

my favourite though are the milsim community who deem gas mags too heavy, if you are going for immersion then they are as close as you can get 

That's what's funny about a certain section of airsofter compared to real steel. Real steel we want lighter with higher capacity, Airsoft I want it heaver with less capacity. Of drum mags actually worked reliably every soldier would be issued one.

7 minutes ago, BigStew said:

That's what's funny about a certain section of airsofter compared to real steel. Real steel we want lighter with higher capacity, Airsoft I want it heaver with less capacity. Of drum mags actually worked reliably every soldier would be issued one.

At the end of the day it's each to their own but yeah we're here to discuss based on our personal experiences. I've recently switched from high-caps to mid as I want to feel like I am somewhat limited when it comes to ammo but I also like that they don't rattle and I know a BB will come out with every shot until the mag is empty. On an average day my local site gets 150 players and I've seen it first hand, people running around with 30 round mags in their GBBR's and/or massively large/heavy guns don't often have a great time. 

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

10 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I've seen it first hand, people running around with 30 round mags in their GBBR's and/or massively large/heavy guns don't often have a great time. 

Given how derailed we are at this point I figured I'd jump in, I don't actually think this is due to the amount of BBs in their mags and/or the weight of the RIF. I think it's often folks that have chosen to follow the advice/thoughts/preferences of others rather than figuring it out themselves. It's super easy to be Captain HIndsight over, but I've definitely caved to 'GBBR am master race' in the past when I simply wasn't ready for that to be how I was playing the game. It's just unfortunate that it's the same vicious cycle as it can be getting work, knowing what you want requires education and experience... and as a new player you'll likely have neither (the lack of education moreso being a lack of accurate information than a lack of information).

(At the risk of dragging it back on topic) And such threads like this are born, where the initial question is too vague (in my opinion) to give a proper recommendation based on waht the OP wants. To give an actual recommendation outside of 'TM is a safe bet' I'd need to know more information about what the OP's list of priorities was alongside the budget.

Edited by alxndrhll

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

Just get a we Luger then you’ll have plenty to write about on here on multiple threads

there's not really a lot to write about other than "it's bad in every measurable way"

Patrol Base seem to be doing a decent bundle for a Raven Glock 17 along with 2 extra magazines for £108. I'm also tempted myself and just use it as a cheap back up for CQB sites.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/raven-eu-series-eu17-gbb-pistol?pv=5329

9 minutes ago, Korma said:

Patrol Base seem to be doing a decent bundle for a Raven Glock 17 along with 2 extra magazines for £108. I'm also tempted myself and just use it as a cheap back up for CQB sites.

AAP-01 The Assassin Pistol - Airsoft Review - YouTube

edit:copied the wrong link

Edited by ziCk_

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Armo1000 said:

Lol yeah, just about got mine to basic "functionality" after about 5 separate fixes haha. 

mine wasn't that bad.

if you had a freshly filled magazine, a nice warm day, then at least 3 or 4 bb's would come out of the barrel before it ran out of gas.....

8 hours ago, Korma said:

Are those any good? I didn't hear that great things about them when they came out. 

3 hours ago, Armo1000 said:

Are those any good? I didn't hear that great things about them when they came out. 

From my limited experience they feel like they're from the same factory as WE but didn't pass their already quite liberal "quality control". I don't see the point of getting one of these now that AAP-01 exists unless you REALLY want just throwaway Glock look-alike and not actual functional workhorse. Yeah they work, they shoot BBs, they will be just fine in CQB environment. Cheap and cheerful but quality and performance-wise there are just better products out there. I always recommended CZP-09 as first pistol for someone that was thinking about getting their first gas sidearm. Why jump down TM upgrade rabbit hole or WE shit hole when you can have quality product working out of the box for 90 pounds that's compatible with both green gas and CO2? Even if it's a dead end with proprietary mags that don't find anything else it's just amazing pistol for the price. I've since jumped on AAP-01 bandwagon because it's amazing and it can be ANYTHING you want it to be and takes in the cheapest GBB mags on the market (Raven/Viral 50rd mags are like what 30 quid?). Wanna sidearm? Take one out of the box and off you go, doesn't need anything done to it. Wanna run it primary? Go fun mode, attach the stock, rails, maybe a foregrip, slap a long stick - there you go, you've just got yourself MP9 or MP5K PDW except you don't need to trade away your kidney for a bunch of big mags. It hops 0.40 out of the box - if you really want it you can slap scope on it and snipe because it's laser accurate. Oh you like your AAP so much that you want invest more into it? There is a metric fuckton of official upgrade parts. I just don't see downsides.

6 hours ago, ziCk_ said:

From my limited experience they feel like they're from the same factory as WE but didn't pass their already quite liberal "quality control". I don't see the point of getting one of these now that AAP-01 exists unless you REALLY want just throwaway Glock look-alike and not actual functional workhorse. Yeah they work, they shoot BBs, they will be just fine in CQB environment. Cheap and cheerful but quality and performance-wise there are just better products out there. I always recommended CZP-09 as first pistol for someone that was thinking about getting their first gas sidearm. Why jump down TM upgrade rabbit hole or WE shit hole when you can have quality product working out of the box for 90 pounds that's compatible with both green gas and CO2? Even if it's a dead end with proprietary mags that don't find anything else it's just amazing pistol for the price. I've since jumped on AAP-01 bandwagon because it's amazing and it can be ANYTHING you want it to be and takes in the cheapest GBB mags on the market (Raven/Viral 50rd mags are like what 30 quid?). Wanna sidearm? Take one out of the box and off you go, doesn't need anything done to it. Wanna run it primary? Go fun mode, attach the stock, rails, maybe a foregrip, slap a long stick - there you go, you've just got yourself MP9 or MP5K PDW except you don't need to trade away your kidney for a bunch of big mags. It hops 0.40 out of the box - if you really want it you can slap scope on it and snipe because it's laser accurate. Oh you like your AAP so much that you want invest more into it? There is a metric fuckton of official upgrade parts. I just don't see downsides.

Yes I am a TM fan boy but part of my love of TM is that they do not need to be up graded they work well out the box and Unless you really know what you are doing upgrades are detrimental to performance and life expectancy. Airsofters really need to get out of the guns must be up graded mentally (fair enough if you like to tinker) too many new players come on the forum " i want to buy this gun how best to up grade it for nebulous perposes". It should be buy gun you like the look of go play till the thing wears out. We should expect the guns we buy to do the job with out having to fuck about with them. That being said I am tempted by an AAP-01.

And due to me being late to party I have an on thread post....

https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/pistols/gas-pistols/army-darkstorm-1911-meu-r32-1/

There is to consider, its metal (no idea of quality though) a tm clone, extended mag for both gas and bbs, full tactical options for tourch/tracer. There is even a utube review 

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

There is to consider, its metal (no idea of quality though)

Bloke last week reckoned the fire selector parted company on his.

I would chime in with the Army Armament R17 as the cheapest properly functional GBB out there.  Even Luke at Negative Airsoft likes them.

Although with them no longer having trademarks, and the AAP-01 being just a little bit more, I'd have to +1 that now.

Bit late to the party, fully aware of the uselessness of this thread.

The AAP out of the box is one of the better handguns available if TM is too expensive, I personally wouldn't touch anything that boasts being metal on the box, most of the times the "realistic" lump of metal is what makes the gun run like shit on anything that's not HPA at 500 psi or 4.0 gas.

With that being said, the AAP can easily turn from cheap and cheerful handgun to a proper bottomless money pit, just like Hi Capas.

I'd stand clear of 1911s, single stack magazines aren't known for having great efficiency.

13 hours ago, BigStew said:

Yes I am a TM fan boy but part of my love of TM is that they do not need to be up graded they work well out the box and Unless you really know what you are doing upgrades are detrimental to performance and life expectancy. Airsofters really need to get out of the guns must be up graded mentally (fair enough if you like to tinker) too many new players come on the forum " i want to buy this gun how best to up grade it for nebulous perposes". It should be buy gun you like the look of go play till the thing wears out. We should expect the guns we buy to do the job with out having to fuck about with them. That being said I am tempted by an AAP-01.

I do agree. Airsoft is probably the only hobby people are satisfied to buy sub par products which don't work well out the box for crazy prices....

Edited by Armo1000

Depends what you want it for.

If for skirmishing then reliabilityand accuracy are everything. In which case TM is the most sensible choice. They don't need anything doing to them and will probably last a lifetime.

If you insist on metal and will only use the pistol occasionally, there are several WE guns that have decent performance: Glocks, P226,  Beretta PX4 

I believe these were originally put together by HK3P (which is now I think part of WE) and are superior to other WE products. They have close - but probably not complete - compatibility with TM versions. I've also heard the latest WE M9A1 is not bad.

I don't think there is much point in paying more for metal guns from KWA, VFC, etc. They are generally more expensive than WE, and have nicer externals but often have reliability issues. And parts are not so easy to access.

Edited by emilianoksa

19 hours ago, Armo1000 said:

I do agree. Airsoft is probably the only hobby people are satisfied to buy sub par products which don't work well out the box for crazy prices....

Well I don't agree. I have bought stuff that does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Manufactures just wouldn't stay in business if their products were shit.

They may not be up to your expectations but they are not sub standard. 👍

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.