Anyone Gone GBBR Only - Even U.K. Winter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As per the title, I’m currently a 99% gbbr user and will even run them in the winter, so I have gradually got rid of my AEGs until I am down to my last one (a TM 416 Devgru). The thing is it has seen so little use I’m thinking I might be better getting rid of it and using the cash on something I actually use (like gas, lots of gas).

The thing Is I always have it in my car on game days just in case gas won’t work. But it’s not even a backup rifle as I take one (or two) of those as well. It’s just a safety net. Not really sure if it’s with keeping???

I used to run GBBR’s only a number of years back and had a nice pair of WE G36’s. In the end I sold everything else because it wasn’t getting used. 

I imagine the technology has improved efficiency wise since then, so I’d say why not!

I'd hold onto it personally, but I like having the safety net. I'd rather have a RIF/RIFs which rarely get used but I know will work when called upon than not. The past year or so aside I don't get out as much as I'd like to, so knowing (or at least hopefully knowing) I'll get to play all day with my own RIFs without having to pack up early due to kit giving up isn't insignificant for me.

From what I can gather the main question here seems to be more a financial one, what I'm gleaming from this is that there is other crap you want and you'd rather sell something you have to fund it than pay for it outright... the remaining AEG seemingly being the prime candidate based on your current preferences. There isn't a huge amount of advice to give there unfortunately, you just need to figure out which you want more... a game day insurance RIF or a shiny new RIF. Either way you're going to wind up with more RIFs than you'll be using in a day, irrelevant of how you try to justify it to yourself 😅.

Guest Mr. No_Face

Nah not for me, I prefer reliability on the field and gas just isn't reliable enough. You're also at a huge tactical disadvantage using them too.

The only GBB's I use are my pistols which have let me down on more occasions then my AEGS. However I will definitely end up collecting a few GBBR's at some point but I'll likely use it for weapon drills and force on force practice only.

Edited by Mr. No_Face

All gas all year. Wouldn’t have an AEG given to me now. 

@rocketdogbert they finally realised their hips are shite? 

Depends where you live possibly. tried but with out a couple of hpa tapped mags it's impossible north of the border. Even if you could run a GBBR year round I'd still want a back up AEG(you always want a back up to your primary anyway). if you can afford to buy and run a GBBR as a primary you can afford a £90 CYMA MP5K.

36 minutes ago, BigStew said:

if you can afford to buy and run a GBBR as a primary you can afford a £90 CYMA MP5K.

This. I pretty much only run my HPA rifle these days, but my Cyma mp5k is always in my rifle bag. It's so useful having a reliable AEG to fall back on just in case things aren't working properly.

Ran my TM MWS exclusively for about a year, then tried a TM 416C, bought it and have concluded I like the option of being able to choose either.

Its always worth having a backup.  If you don't have a backup GBBR then an AEG is good but you have to remember to charge the battery each time.

Up to you if you want to sell the 416 and get something else...

I pretty much run GBBR all year round with a TM MWS and a GHK AKM.  I love that GHK to death, its awesome.  I still have RIFs but frankly they very rarely get used.

3 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Sell it. SELL IT.

Have you seen the new(ish) KWA M4

https://roeairsoft.co.uk/kwa-lm4d-gbb-m4-5322-p.asp

I handled it and fired it, seriously solid, ambi, more gas efficient that the TM. New hop design, but no idea how it actually shoots 🤣🤣

I've been looking at these as they seem to be a good balance of everything I want from a GBBR but so far it's all been mag dumps at indoor ranges, no one showing how it actually performs. 

As for op, a ngrs is a bloody expensive gun to have as a backup to your backup. I'd say get a cyma MP5 or something else cheap, compact and lightweight to have in your kit bag and spend the difference on more gas stuff. 

Thanks for the opinions, I genuinely find everyone’s views interesting.

Just to clarify a few points:

My main aim with this is not financial it’s more about physical space than anything else.

I totally take the point about having a reliable backup I’m time poor too so having a gun that will work is important, but I usually take a couple of MWS as well as a couple of sorted WE MP5s to every game day so my level of confidence the something will work is high. I guess the fact I haven’t used my AEG for so long is testament to this fact, but there is still that nagging doubt…

8 minutes ago, Cyberlawyer said:

My main aim with this is not financial it’s more about physical space than anything else.

I totally take the point about having a reliable backup I’m time poor too so having a gun that will work is important, but I usually take a couple of MWS as well as a couple of sorted WE MP5s to every game day so my level of confidence the something will work is high. I guess the fact I haven’t used my AEG for so long is testament to this fact, but there is still that nagging doubt…

Obviously depends on what site you play at, but if you can take the £*** hit it takes to hire a rental AEG, I'd just consider that your final backup. On the off chance that your primaries all go down, you'll see how much you truly want a backup AEG when you've got to pay for it there and then.

Its to personal to answer I think, I bought a GBLS DAS off these forums to try, if for some reason did not feel like running around with 12 gas mags and a Sodastream bottle all day, it got used for 20 mins and not touched it since. I have used Co2 powered GHK M4s since 2016 and I simply don't enjoy playing with AEGs at all any more to the point that if whatever reason my 3 GBBR died I would just sit in the safe zone and social rather than play with an AEG.  I think its a "you do you" type of decision.

11 hours ago, Cyberlawyer said:

Sounds like you're set. Maybe you can donate to some of us poor AEG only airsofters 😂

11 hours ago, Cyberlawyer said:

Well I think you are good for back ups then. 

The ONLY reason I have AEG backups is due to gas guns being adversely affected by warm temps especially as we approach the summer months.  If I chrono over I have the option to just grab an AEG till I can be bothered changing the nozzle on my GHK to a lower powered one (5 min job that I usually do at lunch....)

I must admit, the feeling & immersion of shooting a gbb over an aeg has just consumed me this past two weeks

I suppose I am yet to experience the sad feeling of a gas rif spitting the dummy out when the temperature drops.

I just got my first gbbr two weeks ago, yet to play a game with it, but have popped roughly 1000 rounds through it either in the garden or whilst marshalling on site (test shots 😀) I know in my heart of hearts, one cold day, I will want to throw it up a tree when I get pi$$ed off with it not working, so will ALWAYS have my secondary backup aeg G3 in the car

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

On 01/06/2021 at 11:19, Enid_Puceflange said:

I must admit, the feeling & immersion of shooting a gbb over an aeg has just consumed me this past two weeks

I suppose I am yet to experience the sad feeling of a gas rif spitting the dummy out when the temperature drops.

I just got my first gbbr two weeks ago, yet to play a game with it, but have popped roughly 1000 rounds through it either in the garden or whilst marshalling on site (test shots 😀) I know in my heart of hearts, one cold day, I will want to throw it up a tree when I get pi$$ed off with it not working, so will ALWAYS have my secondary backup aeg G3 in the car

With GHK you will be surprised how late in the year that you can run them, just switch to black gas.  I was still using mine in Nov at 8 degrees C

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.