Virtual Reality (Vr) Discussion Thread

Korma

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title pretty much says, a dedicated thread for us VR owners & players to talk about... Well VR things!

PC VR, Quest VR, PSVR and other VR brand owners are welcome to join in. Feel free to leave a mini review on your headset, game recommendations, hints & tips and tech support.

What VR is everyone using? I am currently using a WMR Lenovo Explorer. I plan to upgrade to the Valve Index if I can upgrade my GPU.

Looking forward to have future discussions with everyone! 

I currently use the Quest 2 for standalone and PC VR. Fly around a lot in Microsoft flight simulator 2020 which is superb in vr.

Also been playing a bit of Zero calibre, which in comparison to the rift version, is very basic, but I'm enjoying it :)

Used to have a vive. Sold it. Miss it dearly. Used to play a lot of pavlov.

Wanting to get back into VR now that I have a RTX 3090. Refuse to buy oculus as I don't have facebook and it has facebook DRM.

The index is a little too pricey for me so I might just get another vive.

I've got the oculus go.

It's a lot of fun. Battery life is a bit short  though. I know its only entry level but the effects are amazing and it's so believable. 👀👍

• Supporters

My sons got the quest 2, I've had a dabble on Pavlov, onward & couple of others, last week he got a rifle stock & it's a massive improvement in the accuracy, definitely worth having if your in to your shooters.

IMG_0037.JPG

I still have my blessed Rift CV1 - its old but its still awesome. I was hoping to upgrade my GPU before getting an index but seeing as it'll be a while till i can get a GPU ill just wait to see what else new comes out.

As for games - I expect you to die and budget cuts are two of the best VR games ive played so far.

Pavlov vs onward for shooters - Onward feels better to play but pavlov feels more polished.

All hail the cook-o-tron takes a basic cooking game and make it addictive as hell.

Dabbled with VR since I had a Oculus DK2, then used a PSVR with NoloVR controllers for a while until I got my Quest 2.

Tried my mates Index, FOV (120 Index vs 90 Quest) and Refresh Rate (144 Index vs 120 Quest (recently added)) is higher than the Quest 2, but text looks sharper on the Quest 2 due to the higher res screen.

I like the fact the Quest 2 can be just be used anywhere, either wireless or wired, without the use of base stations etc.

I mainly play wired to PC for Steam VR.

Played a bit of Phasmaphobia (which is a bit intense when first playing), Elite Dangerous, RE games using FPS mod/VorpX and Pavlov on the odd occasions with mates, normally pissing about on Prop Hunt or Zombie Mods.

Currently going through the chapters on Half Life: Alyx, such a good polished VR game.

Edited by Brophy

On 25/05/2021 at 18:38, cropzy said:

Used to have a vive. Sold it. Miss it dearly. Used to play a lot of pavlov.

Wanting to get back into VR now that I have a RTX 3090. Refuse to buy oculus as I don't have facebook and it has facebook DRM.

The index is a little too pricey for me so I might just get another vive.

The Vive Pro 2 is current available but that's more expensive than the Index. 

On 25/05/2021 at 21:58, Tackle said:

My sons got the quest 2, I've had a dabble on Pavlov, onward & couple of others, last week he got a rifle stock & it's a massive improvement in the accuracy, definitely worth having if your in to your shooters.

IMG_0037.JPG

I use a stock for Pavlov. Not for Onward though. I think the virtual stock on Onward is actually pretty decent.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Buck3131 said:

Index, Quest 1 & 2, Vive, Vive Pro, Go and PSVR owner here!

I also stream VR games on YouTube!

Same screen name as on here if you want to have a look. 

Out of the ones you mentioned, which would you say are best for price?

If you don't mind using a facebook account then I would recommend the Quest 2 is best for price (as a quest 2 user myself).

Can be used standalone without a computer or you can just connect it to your PC witha  USB cable (one long enough haha) and play your VR games from your steam library etc

If you see a Quest 1 going for a good price then get that.

Lots of people sold the v1 to get a v2 (including me) but apart from the slightly higher res screen the v2 isn't much better.

In fact I've had problems with the v2 controller buttons not working well.

If your having issues with the quest 2 I'd certainly get on to your retailer or oculus ASAP.

I've recently had to go through it and I can say for certain it will be the last time I use John Lewis and oculus leave a lot to e desired when it comes to customer service.

Having said that I am enjoying the quest functionality, as I've been taking it with me when working away from home.

Its an intermittent problem so hard to prove and I noticed too late for warranty.

Luckily its not too bad so I can still use it.

My fave games are:

EchoVR

Super Hot

Onward

Edited by EDcase

Unlucky with the warranty my q2 started stating that it was over heating and shutting off as soon as it booted up.

So far my new one hasn't dropped a beat, fingers crossed.

Game wise, I'm loving alyx and I've picked up pavlov, superhot, lone echo, alien isolation (mother mod).

Onward is on the list but I was put off with the steam reviews.

I'm in the same boat, enjoying Alyx and Elite Dangerous (when I get time to play them, the joys of having young kids!) but been bouncing between phasmaphobia and pavlov when gaming with mates.

I've got Onward on the wishlist too, but waiting for a decent price cut before I get it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 13:43, Brophy said:

If you don't mind using a facebook account then I would recommend the Quest 2 is best for price (as a quest 2 user myself).

Can be used standalone without a computer or you can just connect it to your PC witha  USB cable (one long enough haha) and play your VR games from your steam library etc

Planning to get a Quest 2 coming up with either Black Friday / Cyber Monday if on a good sale or around xmas time. Using it cabled to the computer, does it power the headset as well or will it still be limited by the battery time itself?

1 hour ago, rsciw said:

Planning to get a Quest 2 coming up with either Black Friday / Cyber Monday if on a good sale or around xmas time. Using it cabled to the computer, does it power the headset as well or will it still be limited by the battery time itself?

When using the cable with ours it will run out of power but lasts longer than using the battery alone.

I think the longest my son used it was around 3 hours straight.

Interesting. Are extended batteries available for it?

Would be quite miffed if in the midst of the game that thing just dies off 😐

7 hours ago, rsciw said:

I think it depends on the power output of the connection and the cable you use, not all usb ports are made equal. What you have the headset playing and how you set it up will also make a difference.

I run mine wireless off the router and I've been able to squeeze in a coupe of hours of alyx on a lunch time and still have just over 50% left.

16 hours ago, concretesnail said:

I think it depends on the power output of the connection and the cable you use, not all usb ports are made equal. What you have the headset playing and how you set it up will also make a difference.

I run mine wireless off the router and I've been able to squeeze in a coupe of hours of alyx on a lunch time and still have just over 50% left.

My main intended use is connected to PC and play PC VR games e.g. Elite Dangerous. Which is why pondering about battery length, would be miffed if in midst of dog fighting the battery goes byebye :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.