Wobbly Scope Rings. Wobbling on the Rail)

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

I put a new Maple Leaf Picatinny rail on my VSR. 

This one. 

Discontinued - Maple Leaf Horizontal Function Rail for VSR-10 | airsoft aeg gas blowback upgrade parts (wgcshop.com)

However I am getting a lot of movement front and backwards and side to side on my Picatinny mounts. The bolts do not seem to be wide enough to fill the gap in-between each rail segment. 

Any ideas what scope rings/mounts I should use? I am currently using electrical tape to stop the wobble, but it's not a long term solution. 

Cheers. R

Edited by Asomodai

“Discontinued” maybe there’s a reason behind that one :D

/goes-into-craft-mode

try the coke can trick that you can use to stop rattle on a spring guide …… cut a small rectangle of can, curl it slightly and use a small amount of two part epoxy to affix to bolts

Apply a liberal amount of Vaseline then place in the microwave for 4mins 32secs, not a second more not a second less.*

Oh and when you are finished with the leccy tape I will have it back :D 

*note

if you do try this and blow your house up, tell the mrs it was someone else!

Edited by Albiscuit

Do the mounting screws have shoulders? (An unthreaded part).

It might be as simple as the shoulders are a little too long and it's locking onto the other side of the mount but the screw itself is preventing the mount from nipping up. Unfortunately there is no standard for mounting screws. So you will have to work out what the screw are (length and pitch, and also metric or imperial) then get replacements without shoulder or a shallower shoulder.

If you have branded mounts it'll be pretty easy as you can probably email the company that made them. If it's Ebay specials then have a look on your other mounts and just be very gentle if you find something that looks right making sure it mates correctly and doesn't bind up a few threads in.

You can get scope rings cheap enough and there are a few open designs that should solve the issue as well as they can compress a little more that standard ones.

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-ring-mounts/weaver-open-scope-mounts.html

Or you can get vertical split ones and remove some metal at the bottom split if needed.

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/scope-ring-mounts/weaver-scope-rings-vertical-split.html

Edited by Iceni

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.