Specna Arms Sa-e24

TomFarrington97

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Afternoon hive mind,

I’m wanting to get more out of my Specna Edge series rifle so thought I’d start with the basics, bucking, nub and barrel. I’ve been told The Maple leaf yellow coupled with the Omega nub works well in these rifles, just curious if anyone has one and done the hop Unit also? If so what are people Running as I’ve seen mixed reviews on the ProWin hops due to their QC. The only other I see is the Maxx hop ups but don’t know much about them, are they worth the money and do they work In these guns? Cheers guys

ZCI Barrel, Maple Leaf Macaron, Omega (or style) Nub, ZCI Rotary Plastic Hop-Unit. Job done.

Don't bother with Prowin or clones.

Maxx Hop units are supposed to be very nice - if you can get it to work with your gun. For every success story with that unit, there's one or two others where it just doesn't work for their setup.

And the ZCI plastic hop over metal for performance reason? Or is it that’s pretty much the same so it’s a saving? 

Thanks for the advice though mate, I appreciate it 

9 minutes ago, TomFarrington97 said:

And the ZCI plastic hop over metal for performance reason? Or is it that’s pretty much the same so it’s a saving? 

Thanks for the advice though mate, I appreciate it 

I'd suggest watching Negative Airsoft's videos on YT. He has a high opinion of the ZCI Plastic Rotary Unit, but a fairly low one of the Maxx Hop Unit. Given the volume of guns he's had over his workbench, it's worth listening to his knowledge drops during his vids.

Hold up.

The MAXX unit is better than the ZCI, you can't deny that.

The main thing is the rigidity of the arm/tensioner system, being made of aluminium they are infintely stiffer than the ZCI's plastic combo, which vastly affects performance as the pressure applied to the bb is much more consistent.

Now, on its own a hop chamber is useless, so you need a gun to slap that bitch in. This is why most people hate Maxx units, they can be an absolute cunt to fit.

I had to do minor tweaks to fit my three chambers, most of the work though was done to the feed tubes, since they were a little bit too chubby for my magazines. The older TE model required a bit of a love tap with a drill because the tolerances were actually too tight inside the chamber, where the rubber would sit, which caused feeding issues. The ME models, though, were bang on in that regard.

I'll always say it: if you are looking at raw performance, you can't beat a Maxx hop unit, at that point you accept that you may have to replace the nozzle to match the chamber.

If you are trying to find a compromise between performance and price, then these chambers are NOT for you.

It's that simple.

57 minutes ago, Skara said:

Hold up.

The MAXX unit is better than the ZCI, you can't deny that.

The main thing is the rigidity of the arm/tensioner system, being made of aluminium they are infintely stiffer than the ZCI's plastic combo, which vastly affects performance as the pressure applied to the bb is much more consistent.

I do need to point out that the tensioner is what...15mm long or so? Over that length there will be very little flex, even on plastic. Lots have people have had good results with the ZCI unit. And for £8, if it doesn't fit, I wouldn't be too bothered. A £65+ unit on the other hand.....😲

Bottom line - why go through all the hassle of filing, drilling and swapping nozzles (at a significant overall cost to boot), when you can get 95%+ of the performance at a fraction of the price, and in many cases without modification?

Edited by Speedbird_666

I have never found a metal hop unit that is better than a well made plastic one for any AEG. Thought I better clarify.

Edited by BigStew

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Bottom line - why go through all the hassle of filing, drilling and swapping nozzles (at a significant overall cost to boot), when you can get 95%+ of the performance at a fraction of the price, and in many cases without modification?

the answer is in the statement- if you care about that last 5%

in this case i agree that the ZCI is the more sensible option, as that 5% isn't going to be noticeable without the rest of the pew's internals also being brought up to that level, with all the cost, effort and skill requirements that entails.

it's the diminishing returns curve in action.

44 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the answer is in the statement- if you care about that last 5%

Unfortunately that last 5% of performance is easily scuppered in the real world with the merest zephyr of wind.

But I get your point...🙂

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Unfortunately that last 5% of performance is easily scuppered in the real world with the merest zephyr of wind.

the wind isn't so much the problem- you can deal with the wind.

it's when you've put all the time, effort, money, skill, learned to tech, learned to shoot, learned to sneak and lined everything up to get that perfect angle. the expensive .48g geoffs bb sails through the air it's backspin perfectly canted to counter the crosswind and strikes the target. a perfect and beautiful shot.

only for the target to shrug and continue playing anyway.....

I recommend going back to read my post very carefully, especially the last three lines. I find it rather fun that most "slagging" comments come from people who most likely have never even been in the same postcode as the item they're shitting on, which is most likely your case since all you came up with was "hehe me clever, me post negative airsoft, me win" without giving any actual information or feedback on your experience with the actual hop chamber.

I'll say it once again.

If you favour performance over anything else, then Maxx is the way to go.

If you are happy with the infamous "just as good", then get a ZCI.

I had ZCI units in my M4s, then one day I bought a Maxx to try out, the difference is night and day, literally. I had to overhop to reach 60 metres with the ZCI, whereas with the Maxx I hit 70 metres (both measures taken with this so I think they're pretty accurate), same gun, same spring, same nozzle, same barrel and hop rubber. Was it worth? To me, absolutely, all I cared about was raw performance and I didn't mind filing down the feed tube (which, btw, wasn't an issue with other magazines I tried, but mine are the ones that give me the best performance in terms of feeding so the choice was obvious). Fuck me I even had less power loss with hop applied.

Also ain't it funny when Luke slags on internal mosfets but then ends up praising Perun internal mosfets? Or starts fitting a crapton of Asters? Just let that sink in for a minute :P

Oh, almost forgot, I did actually comment on Luke's facebook post about Maxx units. Go find it

Edited by Skara

2 hours ago, Skara said:

I recommend going back to read my post very carefully, especially the last three lines. I find it rather fun that most "slagging" comments come from people who most likely have never even been in the same postcode as the item they're shitting on, which is most likely your case since all you came up with was "hehe me clever, me post negative airsoft, me win" without giving any actual information or feedback on your experience with the actual hop chamber.

I'll say it once again.

If you favour performance over anything else, then Maxx is the way to go.

If you are happy with the infamous "just as good", then get a ZCI.

I had ZCI units in my M4s, then one day I bought a Maxx to try out, the difference is night and day, literally. I had to overhop to reach 60 metres with the ZCI, whereas with the Maxx I hit 70 metres (both measures taken with this so I think they're pretty accurate), same gun, same spring, same nozzle, same barrel and hop rubber. Was it worth? To me, absolutely, all I cared about was raw performance and I didn't mind filing down the feed tube (which, btw, wasn't an issue with other magazines I tried, but mine are the ones that give me the best performance in terms of feeding so the choice was obvious). Fuck me I even had less power loss with hop applied.

Also ain't it funny when Luke slags on internal mosfets but then ends up praising Perun internal mosfets? Or starts fitting a crapton of Asters? Just let that sink in for a minute :P

Oh, almost forgot, I did actually comment on Luke's facebook post about Maxx units. Go find it

And I suggest that you re-read my original post very carefully.

I said:

'Maxx Hop units are supposed to be very nice - if you can get it to work with your gun. For every success story with that unit, there's one or two others where it just doesn't work for their setup. '

I'll give you an example - there are a lot of posts on the ICS owners group about the ICS-specific version of the Maxx unit. Not much said is positive.

You get good results from yours - kudos. But it's a bit rich that you imply that sitting in the same postcode is a prerequisite for an opinion - given that you have freely admitted that at least some of your units are AliExpress knockoffs.

Just out of interest, how many real, genuine (and full-priced) Maxx units do you actually own?

8 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Just out of interest, how many real, genuine (and full-priced) Maxx units do you actually own?

Two, one ME sport, one ME pro :)

I would say three, because I believe the knockoff is actually a Maxx "surplus" of old TE chambers, but let's assume it's a clone.

i have also worked on a couple of teammates chambers to fix minor (user) assembly errors, like you know, buying a MI instead of a ME to use in a G&G raider :D

2 hours ago, Skara said:

Two, one ME sport, one ME pro :)

So you spent nearly as much money (if not more) on two hop units than on that low end Specna Core of yours last year? (using UK pricing).

I give you credit for your dedication to find that last 5%.😜

Yep.

But as I said, all I wanted for that gun was performance :P

Now, Retro Arms made a similar hop chamber (with basically the same arm and tensioner design) at a lower price point, I think it was around €40. But I had bad experiences with the older RA model (the silver + red ring one) so I kinda have mixed feelings about their chambers now.

• 3 weeks later...

I found that in my specna edge series the lonex hop worked best, coupled with a 60° macaroon and omega nub and madbull black python v2. But at the same time it doesn't work as well in my pals edge series. Best bet is ( if you can afford it) buy a few different hops and rubbers and see what seals best and feeds best. You can never have enough spare parts laying around hahaha

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.