Don't Be This Guy (Eye Pro)

TheFull9

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

18 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I've always found cat crap* works well with a quick treatment first thing and maybe reapplying it at lunch on the bad days. 

Although I picked up a pair of Edge Tactical glasses last year and so far they've been pretty much fog free even without treatment 

*no I haven't been raiding the litter tray, I mean this

s-l300.jpg

+1 for catcrap. I used this before I got my Dye i5.

This may sound mean but people who cheap out on eyepro have whats coming to them. Sadly a lot learn the hard way.

Cheap eye protection can be perfectly fine.  Assuming of course that it is of an appropriate impact rating, covers the eye area without gaps, and is secure in place.

For cheap vs expensive in proper full face goggles you are paying partially for the brand, but mainly for the features of comfortable* materials, design etc 

* comfortable is subjective - my preferred goggles are Grillz, but I also have a pair of the Valken Annex.  The Annex are cheap and cheerful basic plastic goggles - but they fit my head well and are to me more comfortable than some £150+ goggles, not because they are any better but they are designed to a similar head size/shape to mine.

For lens fogging, if the lens is pre-treated then do not use any products until you have tried out the glasses/goggles first.

(just clean with water & microfibres)

If you add a coating then you are impacting on the manufacturers original treatment.  If that has worked and has began to fail then I would be considering whether or not the lens should be replaced 

(though in photography, Marshalling, automated gun guinea pig and running into rooms like a demented idiot I could have been shot a lot in the head, or particularly with lenses worn in  photography they get generally scratched)

If the lens fogs up for you anyway then go for products - and I’ll second the endorsement of catcrap.  

Though do have a think about what is contributing to fogging - too much around your neck under full face goggles, or part face with a face shield etc?

If you’re a heavy sweater then consider a face spray of antiperspirant (shut your eyes and mouth while doing so)

If they are just glasses, or small snow goggles etc and they are fogging then I would say that they have no anti fog so go straight onto the extra products like cat crap

On 27/05/2021 at 18:40, gunbod007 said:

What Edge eyewear model do you have?

Apologies for the late reply. These are the ones

DSC_0400.JPG

On 27/05/2021 at 18:40, gunbod007 said:

Edited by Cannonfodder

• Supporters
On 27/05/2021 at 09:57, Samurai said:

I've been wearing super cheap eyepro since day 1 and never regretted it, but I do my research on them.

This. EN166-B or equivalent, and then test them yourself.  Better to shoot out your own eyepro when it's on a bench rather than have someone else shoot it out when it's on your face.

My sub-£30 FMA fan goggles (2.3mm thick) have been absolutely fine for impacts, as have Pyramed I-Forces, and - gasps of horror - some ~£10 unbranded goggles that I got specifically to dual-pane and which are now my go-tos.  They're 2.4mm and polycarb and regularly take point blank 1.1J shots in CQB or sniper BBs in woodland - it's my favourite place to get hit.

What I avoid is unsealed glasses with separate lenses not secured into a full frame - that's gagging to have them get shot out.

I hope it's later rather than sooner, but I reckon at some point someone wearing inadequate eye-pro is going to come a cropper and insurers will start mandating full seal goggles rated above EN166-F.

I have my Guarder C7 glasses which I bought when I first started airsofting (seriously sometime ago!). I bought these after seeing the company test them with a 12 gauge shotgun from a meter away. Yeah my face and everything else would be done for but my eyes will be intact. 😂 They have never fogged up and still have not replaced them. I like to have the peace of mind that they are over engineered for my needs, but that makes me happy. 

Hero shark mesh eyeware here. Took a ping before, scuff paint but no dint on them. Very solid.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.