Complete Noob, Never Played Airsoft but Looking to Get Into it

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, having never played airsoft (yet) I am looking to get into it in the not too distant future but there are a few essentials I need before I take the plunge. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on these boots before I hit the buy button, https://www.military1st.co.uk/vboosopmc-viper-special-ops-boots-multicam.html?___store=default&refSrc=176224&nosto=nosto-page-product1

I like the idea of the zip as they will also save as my fishing boots while carp fishing.

Thank you EDcase, good to know. That's 1 item off my list 

Thanks GenuineGerman, as for eyepro I've been looking at the Novritsch large goggles along with the subscription inserts as I wear glasses. I used to wear my dads old army boots when was a cadet many moons ago 

Hi Joe.

Welcome aboard the good ship airsoft. May your seas be calm and your shipmates calmer.👍

I'm a Viper groupie so I would deffo go with the viper multicam boots. Had them for years but that only equates to a few pairs cause they last a long time and that's with using them for work and games and the zips make them easy on and easy off bit like a ten bob whore. Lol

Forget army boots. Heavy and sweaty.

Carp fishing? Forget that! Once you start airsoft you will be selling all your bite alarms and rods 🙂

Have fun👍

Regards 

Hi @Joe Edwards! 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started, make sure to let us know how it goes? 🤞👍

I agree with the others on here:

@EDcase

@GenuineGerman

@Shamal

🔫😎👍

Have a channel aimed at beginners, see what you think and hopefully helps? 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

Welcome aboard Joseph,

The style of boots are good I have a similar Teesar version, but I would also recommend some “Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof” (‘spray or foam - your choice) as the suede could do with some protection, deffo with the current sun-rain-sun weather we are having currently ;)

27 minutes ago, GAMBLE said:

Hi @Joe Edwards! 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started, make sure to let us know how it goes? 🤞👍

I agree with the others on here:

@EDcase

@GenuineGerman

@Shamal

🔫😎👍

Have a channel aimed at beginners, see what you think and hopefully helps? 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

Sorry. I missed that one😳

I will try and keep up I promise...

20 hours ago, Joe Edwards said:

Thank you EDcase, good to know. That's 1 item off my list 

Thanks GenuineGerman, as for eyepro I've been looking at the Novritsch large goggles along with the subscription inserts as I wear glasses. I used to wear my dads old army boots when was a cadet many moons ago 

Hi Mate,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in the same boat as you with prescription inserts as I'm slighly short-sighted, take a look at this if you want to get those lens inserts done for pretty cheap:

And as @GAMBLE said, he has a youtube channel aimed at beginners, but forgets to link it :P

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL-V_yVApaCpm096XBAQE1A/videos

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Joe Edwards said:

Thank you to all who replied, I had my first game on the 6th of June at invicta battlefield and its safe to say I'm hooked, going again on the 20th June at the same site.

Glad to hear you had a good day.👍

Regards 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Joe Edwards said:

Thank you to all who replied, I had my first game on the 6th of June at invicta battlefield and its safe to say I'm hooked, going again on the 20th June at the same site.

Great to hear, I assume you've got your future purchases planned out. ;) 

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Great to hear, I assume you've got your future purchases planned out. ;) 

I certainly do, I already have a viper elite gen 2 trousers in dpm, invader gear style top in dpm (only cost £20 on amazon). I did however splash nearly £90 on a warrior pathfinder chest rig from uk tactical as I found the rented plate carrier quite cumbersome. One thing I am struggling with however is which brand of rif to go for once I get my ukara number. My heart is set on a g&g l85a2 but get the feeling it will need work on it to get it running reliably, not too sure about the ics version of the l85 as I've heard it overhops when hopup is at its lowest setting. Because of all this I am now leaning towards a cyma platinum 0.97 14.5" aeg but have heard the mosfet burns out if you continually fire 45 sec to 1 min on semi auto, I feel this review I read was someone deliberately trying to brake the thing, in a skirmish that just don't happen really. Any advice would be a great help

Is that L85A2 love for the gun design, British patriotism or just like bullpups? Also what's your budget? :P

Edited by ziCk_

• Supporters

Ah, DPM, a man of taste.

Sorry, I can't speak to the I82s, although I do get the impressiont that they're somewhat fo a labour of love.

I'm aware of that CYMA review and my impression is that the intention was to see how long it took to burn it out through abuse.  It's not something that would concern me in practice - CYMA stuff tends to be pretty robust.

20 minutes ago, ziCk_ said:

Is that L85A2 love for the gun design, British patriotism or just like bullpups? Also what's your budget? :P

1, British patriotism. 2, I like bullpups. I would also disable any blowback as what I have learned is I tend to transition from right, to left handed, just something I did without thinking about on my first game. Budget would be around £400 for just a gun alone. Another reason for leaning towards a cyma platinum cm0.97 is upgrades down the road and have it as a dmr once I get a pistol then a 2nd aeg. Cyma seems to open up these possibilities down the road for me, more so than an l85 does, but I still really want an l85 lol. Still I have 2 more games in just over a month to get my ukara so plenty of time to look and review everything.

If you buy second-hand you don't really NEED UKARA - needless to say over the last 30 purchases via airsoft forums and prefired I've been asked for UKARA only twice... people generally don't care from what I've noticed.

L85 kinda stinks (at least AEGs, gas one is pretty nice)... for some reason most AEG bullpups do. I only pulled the trigger on battered down ARES SOC-AR and it's a weighty chonker with some questionable ergonomics unless you're a leftie but it shoots like a dream and has crisp electronic trigger - I've heard good reviews of KelTec RDB too and intend of eventually getting one myself after I knock few more things out of my wishlist.

Don't get too caught up with the platform - for all intents and purposes this is just cosplay, except for big tiddy anime girls there are big children with toy guns - in vast majority of circumstances your pistol will perform just as good as your sniper :P I would say get something that works out of the box with minimal to zero input required, maybe with some bells and whistles. There will be time and place to get into teching but if it's going to be your first and only gun for a while you need a workhorse Volkswagen not Alfa Romeo that will spend most of the time at mechanics. I couldn't talk my friend I've introduced to airsoft out of FAMAS F1 and it spends more time at tech than in the actual game. 

If you're after M4 platform ICS MARS series with SSS (or S3) mosfet is an absolute dream.

2 hours ago, Joe Edwards said:

Still I have 2 more games in just over a month to get my ukara so plenty of time to look and review everything.

As caveat which is largely nothing to do with the rest of the conversation, unless I'm wildly mistaken, your 3 games that qualify you for UKARA need to take palce across a 3 month period starting from the date of your first 'stamp'. That's not to say you can't play more than 3 games during that period simply that with your first game, judging by your previous post, being on June 6th the earliest you'll qualify for UKARA would be your third game on/after September 5th.

Add in processing time, which will vary based on when the site submits your information to be added to the database and then you being added to said database essentially mean you aren't immediately UKARA'd upon getting your last stamp.

Not a fan of being the bearer of bad news, but it's best you have accurate information. Silverlining, at least it gives you more time to consider your options 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by alxndrhll

13 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

As caveat which is largely nothing to do with the rest of the conversation, unless I'm wildly mistaken, your 3 games that qualify you for UKARA need to take palce across a 3 month period starting from the date of your first 'stamp'. That's not to say you can't play more than 3 games during that period simply that with your first game, judging by your previous post, being on June 6th the earliest you'll qualify for UKARA would be September 5th. Not a fan of being the bearer of bad news, but silverlining at least it gives you more time to consider your options 🤷‍♂️.

I have read into the requirements for ukara before I played my first game and confirmed with a retailer and also from ukaras own site, it states 3 games in no less than 2 months, my 2nd game will be 20th June and my third will be just over a month after that one, I'll more than likely get a 4th game in anyway as I really enjoy playing airsoft 

Edited by Joe Edwards

4 minutes ago, Joe Edwards said:

I have read into the requirements for ukara before I played my first game and confirmed with a retailer and also from ukaras own site, it states 3 games in no less than 2 months, my 2nd game will be 20th June and my third will be just over a month after that one, I'll more than likely get a 4th game in anyway as I really enjoy playing airsoft 

Right you are, apologies, the note on the processing time is still worth bearing in mind fwiw. Question for the other old hands/those better at keeping an eye on changes... has that been reduced? I swear it was 3 months but I'm open to being entirely wrong.

4 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Right you are, apologies, the note on the processing time is still worth bearing in mind fwiw. Question for the other old hands/those better at keeping an eye on changes... has that been reduced? I swear it was 3 months but I'm open to being entirely wrong.

No worries, the site I go to has an on site retailer and the site can hold a rif for me until my ukara got processed, I'm just getting the games in first so I can learn the field as a rental lol 😀

6 minutes ago, Joe Edwards said:

No worries, the site I go to has an on site retailer and the site can hold a rif for me until my ukara got processed, I'm just getting the games in first so I can learn the field as a rental lol 😀

Just don't get sucked into picking up your first RIF based on what they stock/is convenient/you can get the quickest. Since UKARA became a thing I've seen many get sucked down that hole, if the on site retailer happens to carry the thing you land on wanting then that's great... but don't let what ultimately boils down to impatience be a deciding factor.

30 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Just don't get sucked into picking up your first RIF based on what they stock/is convenient/you can get the quickest. Since UKARA became a thing I've seen many get sucked down that hole, if the on site retailer happens to carry the thing you land on wanting then that's great... but don't let what ultimately boils down to impatience be a deciding factor.

I don't intend to mate I'll see if they are able to order one in for me or something, if not then I will shop elsewhere, thanks for the heads up though, appreciate it. Thank you

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.