Aeg for Rc Airplane?

two_zero

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Long time no see!!

Getting into radio controlled aviation as of now and to my great surprise I cant seem to find any AEG made for RC planes.. I've found some pictures of people who chopped up those 30~ quid hopper feed things but it does seem like less than optimal.

Any ideas or suggestions? :)

So you want to arm your rc plane? Cool 👍

I've seen drones with gimbal mounted guns. How big are you talking?

Interesting project though. 🙂

Regards 

AEP gearbox? Gearboxes are bloody heavy so you'd prolly need a plastic one tbh. The best option is probably getting someone to design in CAD and 3D printing a custom frame and feeding system to the plane (hint hint, maybe pay me? :))))))))

Then again, that kind of thing might get you potentially arrested AHAHA

Edited by AK47frizzle

Its the same for the rc car with gun argument, if there are game rules built around its use then cool, but, expect salty players to either shoot it or tip it. 

• Supporters

Helped a friend mount a glock AEP on a drone once , basically mounted it upside down with the pistol grip cut off , a short length of loading tube epoxy’ed to the feed slot of the barrel and used a fruit shoot bottle cut down as the feed hopper . It was a big ass professional grade drone mind .

9 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Helped a friend mount a glock AEP on a drone once , basically mounted it upside down with the pistol grip cut off , a short length of loading tube epoxy’ed to the feed slot of the barrel and used a fruit shoot bottle cut down as the feed hopper . It was a big ass professional grade drone mind .

I was actaully thinking of the G18 AEP, and the tube makes a lot of sense considering the magazine as been my main concern about this idea.. maybe use an old school speedloader. 

10 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

AEP gearbox? Gearboxes are bloody heavy so you'd prolly need a plastic one tbh. The best option is probably getting someone to design in CAD and 3D printing a custom frame and feeding system to the plane (hint hint, maybe pay me? :))))))))

Then again, that kind of thing might get you potentially arrested AHAHA

I live in Sweden - is there anything that can't potentially get me aressted?

Well, got a printer at work.. and some really good product designers.. even thou they probably sick of me pestering them by now lmao. Not sure how well a 3d printed gearbox would work/hold up thou? 

10 hours ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Its the same for the rc car with gun argument, if there are game rules built around its use then cool, but, expect salty players to either shoot it or tip it. 

I mean I usally dont get along with the kind of people who want to regulate things either way^^

10 hours ago, Shamal said:

So you want to arm your rc plane? Cool 👍

I've seen drones with gimbal mounted guns. How big are you talking?

Interesting project though. 🙂

Regards 

Honestly, at this point I only just got a small plane, not been able to messure how much weight it can take yet. But might get some more exciting stuff in the future :) 

Edited by two_zero

I have quite a bit of experience with RC Fixed Wing Aircraft (15 years with dozens of aircraft and types, from 3D Shockies, to Scale Warbirds, to Helis and FPV Racing Drones) - so believe me when I say you will struggle with this.

It has been done before - FliteTest mounted AEG innards into a fairly large model.

What aircraft are you expecting to mount this to?

It will need to be reasonably sized to get the wing loading low enough. As others have mentioned, an AEG GB is fairly chunky, so don't expect to mount this on a sub-2m model without detrimental handling qualities. The heavier the model, the higher the wing loading, the faster it needs to fly,  and unless you are mounting the GB/Barrel assembly off the longitudinal axis (i.e pointing down) you will be diving down on your target to take the shot.

If that target is a human, then you are pointing 4-5kg of model directly at them.

Personally, outside of YouTube shenanigans like the FliteTest video - I think it's a fucking stupid idea. The FT Crew are hugely experienced modellers/designers/fliers and the struggled to get rounds on target, having to fly extremely low and use tracer rounds to see their aim. FPV isn't practical unless you some kind of DJI HD setup, and even then, target acquisition is gonna suck.

3 hours ago, two_zero said:

I live in Sweden - is there anything that can't potentially get me aressted?

Well, got a printer at work.. and some really good product designers.. even thou they probably sick of me pestering them by now lmao. Not sure how well a 3d printed gearbox would work/hold up thou? 

Na, from some cheapo lpeg from justbbguns or something. 3D printed one would probs be worse.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, two_zero said:

Not sure how well a 3d printed gearbox would work/hold up thou? 

As to the longevity of it wouldn’t have thought it’ll be firing that much(compared to ‘normal’ use of a gearbox)that you’d get that much degradation to it ? 

I may have missed it but is this for use during an airsoft event? 

If so, unless we're talking private games then airsoft is (and rightly so) regulated. Even if allowed, be prepared for it to get destroyed quite quickly 😉

not sure id be a fan of the concept in game.  even less so if i was not allowed to 'defend myself' by firing at the thing

For an in game device, I would need a lot of convincing before I would allow a drone or RC aircraft to be running something that would shoot people.

I would also be inclined to have that operated by selected people - not in the hands of players.

There will be many issues in a game environment with H&S regulations, site insurance, etc before you consider the rules of use

We’ve operated:

drones (controlled by our drone pilot) and used them for filming and for players to watch live streamed footage in a suitcase full of screens

an RC truck that carries pyros plus a normal camera and an infra red camera - this we have either operated ourselves to harass players or handed control to players along with the suitcase 

Pyros can be any combination of smoke or bangs and set off remotely from the suitcase (or from remote controls in our pockets)

a sentry gun - this runs all by itself and selects targets via its AI, either anything that looks like a suitable target (person shape or ball shape due to the methods we’ve used in ‘training’ of the AI and approval / rejection of targets), it could also include colours into the mix when on the daylight camera. This doesn’t hesitate, so we permit it’s use only with Marshall’s on hand to dive on a fallen player and flip any of the kill switches.

An aircraft that shoots has various problems when people are on the ground - there’s the issue of crashing, the problem of stopping shooting and also camera lag.  If it’s ‘lightweight’ then it can easily become unstable, lose control and drop fast from being shot down.  If it’s a more serious aircraft then it’s less susceptible to being shot down but will hit hard and rotors can cut skin

If it’s a drone then when it goes down it will come down like a brick, if it’s an RC plane then it could ‘glide’ which gives a degree of warning if you’re looking in its direction 

There could be scope for the novelty of a shooting aircraft for an non game environment or for RC vs RC dog fights, but some experience and a controlled area will be needed

Is it me or does a variation of this question pop up every few months? 

Imo this is a big no due to reasons already posted above

Ive flown RC for years. Just...no.

While I still believe the safest option for airsoft aerial surveillance is an electric ducted fan assisted glider, attaching airsoft guns to it is a poor idea.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.