On the Hunt for a New Rig, Sniper Edition

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

5 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Have you considered this?  

Carries all your kit and no problems with breathability or mag retention being too tight.  Just stick it all in the basket and away you go.  

Head-carrying - Wikipedia

That’s a grenadier load out though

• Supporters
On 25/05/2021 at 07:36, Skara said:

Saw a video of one guy (bb warrior something) who used mp2 inserts in a mf gen 4 rig, I remember him saying they were a hair short too. If you happen to have multiple inserts and you don't mind taking a few pictures, I'd appreciate it!

On a side note, I might replace all the fucking buckles I have on my TMR and Pentagon flatpack clone with ITWs so I have a 100% compatible system where I can interchange harnesses, packs, rigs depending on my needs.

Might also buy a replica of the crye airlite harness (Found one on aliexpress, I know it's not the real thing but good luck sourcing just the harness) to tinker around with.

Been offline for a bit, but I'll try and get you some pics shortly.

I have the knock off airlite harness and it's rather good. Cheap too so...

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

Been offline for a bit, but I'll try and get you some pics shortly.

I have the knock off airlite harness and it's rather good. Cheap too so...

Oh don't worry, I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon. Parcel has been bounced between two NY offices 6 times by now, and just found out that after boarding the plane (which it did yesterday at lunch) the tracking becomes useless..

So I might get it in a week, a month, or never.

Attended a funeral this morning, but when I came back to the office I found this :D

Best thing is, my colleague didn't have to pay anything for collection, so nobody looked at the declared value :D

t3Qlktn.jpg

So, first impression:

It's lightweight, worryingly lightweight!

I think it weighs half as much as the TMR unloaded :D

Judging by the pictures I found, I was concerned about it being tall (more than 3 molle rows) but in reality it's about as high as a standard GI magazine, which is fantastic as I can wear it high and tight (so it doesn't interfere with my belt).

Magazine pouches:

The 4 rifle pouches are tailored for GI mags, my Lonex Flash Mags fit snugly and I don't think I'll need the bungees nor kydex inserts.

The pistol pouches hold Glock mags just fine but they are too narrow for mk23 mags. They do fit perfectly into the two side mag/torch pouches though.

Can't wait to try it out next Sunday!

Need a pic of it on, I can only imagine you wearing a bra what with all the ‘need it high’ remarks #gunnerbra 😂

Hope it works out for you 👍

59 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Need a pic of it on, I can only imagine you wearing a bra what with all the ‘need it high’ remarks #gunnerbra 😂

Hope it works out for you 👍

Manboobs for days :D

Quick adjustment this morning, ideally it would sit an inch higher. Also for some reason I don't appear as fat as I really am :D

ew7GbZ9.jpg

• Supporters

So I tried the inserts over the weekend:

They're quite a bit shorter than the kydex ones I have (long Esstac ones)

20210531_162610.thumb.jpg.c51f89111396cc002c2e9f4aa7250936.jpg

Basically the MP2 inserts are too short for the mag pouches. The kydex ones fit snugly under the cord loops though.

20210531_162651.thumb.jpg.42170c46df87fefd66a1b192df224a60.jpg

Thanks @Lozart, very helpful images!

I'll dick around with it a little bit tomorrow (national holiday), but I think I'll keep it without inserts for now and remove the bungees.

You could use the MP2 inserts, but you'll need to make a (4 actually) small spacer that pushes the insert against the bungee loops, which will also raise the mags a little bit.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Skara said:

Thanks @Lozart, very helpful images!

I'll dick around with it a little bit tomorrow (national holiday), but I think I'll keep it without inserts for now and remove the bungees.

You could use the MP2 inserts, but you'll need to make a (4 actually) small spacer that pushes the insert against the bungee loops, which will also raise the mags a little bit.

I'm happy with the Kydex ones to be fair, although as you mentioned the pockets are snug enough to not really need retention anyway!

• Skara changed the title to On the Hunt for a New Rig, Sniper Edition

Tried a mate's inserts he bought for his Esstac Boar but again, they make my pouches way too tight.

Okay, I'm now looking for a new rig for my sniper kit, didn't want to make another thread so I'll just use this one.

Dis one won't have to be fancy or expensive, I might cover it in spray paint, raffia, cotton or haloscreen whenever I decide to start working on my viper hood.

Carrying capacity wise, it'll have to bear one/two mk23 mags, 2 to 4 glock mags and have enough "utility" space for a radio, gardening shears and other small bits and bobs like zip ties, hair bands and such.

I'll be carrying a backpack with water, gas and spare eyepro.

Ideally I would like to have some space to zip tie a holster for the mk23.

I will be spending a considerable amount of time either sitting down or prone, so a belt of any kind is out of question.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Skara said:

Tried a mate's inserts he bought for his Esstac Boar but again, they make my pouches way too tight.

Okay, I'm now looking for a new rig for my sniper kit, didn't want to make another thread so I'll just use this one.

Dis one won't have to be fancy or expensive, I might cover it in spray paint, raffia, cotton or haloscreen whenever I decide to start working on my viper hood.

Carrying capacity wise, it'll have to bear one/two mk23 mags, 2 to 4 glock mags and have enough "utility" space for a radio, gardening shears and other small bits and bobs like zip ties, hair bands and such.

I'll be carrying a backpack with water, gas and spare eyepro.

Ideally I would like to have some space to zip tie a holster for the mk23.

I will be spending a considerable amount of time either sitting down or prone, so a belt of any kind is out of question.

Condor Ronin? https://www.military1st.co.uk/mcr7-498-condor-ronin-chest-rig-coyote-brown.html front opening keeps your belly clear for going prone and the back has a molle section to attach a hydration pouch.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.