On the Hunt for a New Rig, Sniper Edition

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hive mind, I choose you!

I just sold both my Tactical Tailor Mav and mini Mav.

The first I didn't like how it fit, the latter because it was redundant with my Helikon TMR.

So now I am left with the aforementioned TMR and a smersh, in theory I am covered on all fronts (low profile and lightweight - carrying the kitchen sink), but we all know it's very rarely a matter of *need* :P

Anyway, I want a new chest rig to complement the tmr, I want more room for utility stuff for those longer games, space for 3/4 ak/m4 mags (I own 5 high caps and 5 midcaps for each gun), also it needs to sit kinda high so I can use it with my frv belt.

Being swift clip compatible is not strictly necessary but is a nice plus, possibly a H-Harness instead of a X one.

Was eyeing the Helikon Guardian, it oddly resembles the good ol' arktis chest rig but with more features..

Any suggestions?

Edited by Skara

• Supporters
13 hours ago, MiK said:

@Skara Do what I did… make one that fits you/your needs ;)

I was just about to recommend a molle bandolier, on mine I get an inverted serpa holster, 4x 7.62  tactical tailor shingles that will hold pretty much any mag, then a 5.56 tactical tailor shingle for an m4 size speedloader, & piggybacked on to that is a twin pistol mag holder.

the whole thing is very lightweight, sits high across the chest & doesn't impede movement at all, & you can supplement it with a belt order if needs arise.

@Skara, as you've said, you've got rigs that cover the two ends of the load carrying spectrum, this would be something completely different again, totally unlike your other rigs.

like you, I've got shit for every occasion, & if I don't own it currently, I probably have previously only to find I didn't get on with it, but the bandolier is an old favourite that I'll always go back to, especially if I want a high speed low drag loadout (lol those were the days when I could move at speed🤣/😢)

Worth considering ?

The TT MAV 2 with H harness is an extremely versatile and comy bit of kit, i switch between that and FC Slickster paired with a striped back belt depending on gmae/scenario.

I especially like the latter, it is SO low profile, i dont run anything on the back when playing tight quarters, which stops hang ups/snags when going through doorways etc at acute angles

Thanks guys.

I sold the mav because I like my rigs to sit high on my chest and if I set it high, it was way too tight, if I set it where it wants to be (mid chest) it felt shit and prevented me from using a belt.

I guess my torso is too short for it to work well.

I'll have to be wearing the thing for hours (8 at least), so no bandoleers as they definitely do not distribute the weight equally on each shoulder.

Someone somewhere else suggested a Mayflower uw gen 4, but it doesn't seem to take ak mags (which really isn't a big deal, I'll be using M4s mostly but I like my stuff to be interchangeable within reason).

So many rigs to choose from :(

Perhaps worth considering a Bulle MLE? https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/mainsearch.php?zoom_query=MLE

I have a couple & they're pretty great, very comfortable fit with a decent amount of space (and if needed you can also fit pouches on to the straps at the back, depending on what pouches they are & their attachment method), not bulky and can be adjusted to be worn high or low depending on what you need. Pretty cheap too :)

10 minutes ago, Ad_ said:

Perhaps worth considering a Bulle MLE? https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/mainsearch.php?zoom_query=MLE

It's literally a clone of the rig I just sold...

My bad, looks like the MAV was discontinued as Tactical Tailor don't seem to have it on their website (the "Fight Light" version is listed but different design). Surprising that fitment would be an issue as it's so adjustable.

Platatac Peacekeeper might be worth a look, but I genuinely think you’re on the hunt for something that doesn’t really tick the boxes you’re after.

I think you’re right that you can carry far more than you’d ever need in the smersh, but I’d put the TMR down as a more ‘mid sized’ chest rig (so not entirely different in what you can carry versus something like the Peacekeeper). The main thing you seem to be missing is a ‘micro rig’, not to say I think you need one... but I think you’re already kinda covered for that middle ground rig with the TMR. Entirely open to being wrong, just my take from your initial post.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Ad_ said:

I have a couple & they're pretty great, very comfortable fit with a decent amount of space (and if needed you can also fit pouches on to the straps at the back, depending on what pouches they are & their attachment method), not bulky and can be adjusted to be worn high or low depending on what you need. Pretty cheap too :)

I'm a big advocate of the MLE, I've got two, one of which I'm gonna dye black, but yeah it looks a lot like the MAV that skara has just ditched, whether or not there's any difference in the materials or fit that might be an improvement on the MAV, I dunno ?

2 hours ago, Skara said:

It's literally a clone of the rig I just sold...

Not entirely sure what will "fit" so to speak, what about trying a zip up waistcoat type vest, such as a warrior TMV ?, lightweight & full molle coverage front & back, sits slightly higher than most waistcoats to allow for belt kit & even has a built in holster pocket.

Was kit tends to be very well made.

One thing you've not mentioned is camo/colour, obviously not everything is available in every camo.

55 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I'm a big advocate of the MLE, I've got two, one of which I'm gonna dye black, but yeah it looks a lot like the MAV that skara has just ditched, whether or not there's any difference in the materials or fit that might be an improvement on the MAV, I dunno ?

I'm not entirely sure either, the "Fight Light" 2-piece MAV that TT currently list on their website is a bit different & looks inferior in design to the MLE (although I'd expect it to be much better quality). The X harness that's available for it separately makes it a lot closer to the MLE, but even with that it's still a bit different & less adjustable than the MLE.

Sorry, couldn't keep up with the answers.

One of the reasons I sold the split front mav is the split front design: all the weight is shifted to the side since there is a rather large portion of unusable space at the front.

This combined with even a tiny ass backpack with nothing but a half filled 2L bladder (1.5kg total?) made the whole thing rock backwards, no matter how much shit I had at the front.

Design flaw? Me being a retard? No clue, but it made me stay away from anything split front.

The peacekeeper was one of the main options, until I realized it is actually more expensive to import it than flying to australia and picking one myself -.- Also it's huge which is a no go for my short chest.

@alxndrhllit's curious, as I consider the TMR a micro rig when in reality it's the same size as a D3CR. It does hold more stuff than a SS rig, that's for sure, but the size of the middle admin is deceiving, in reality it doesn't hold more than a phone, car keys and small speed loader without bulging out like an american kid at McDonald's. I am also looking at a proper micro rig, but that's food for another thread

Someone on a discord server suggested the Mayflower UW gen IV rig, which I really like, but I don't think it takes 5.45/5.56 AK mags (the Pusher, gen VI, has removable inserts for different calibres but it seems to be much harder to source in this part of the world).

no "vests", they are great for carrying stuff but they really restrict my breathing.

I guess I'll keep looking..

2 minutes ago, Skara said:

@alxndrhllit's curious, as I consider the TMR a micro rig when in reality it's the same size as a D3CR. It does hold more stuff than a SS rig, that's for sure, but the size of the middle admin is deceiving, in reality it doesn't hold more than a phone, car keys and small speed loader without bulging out like an american kid at McDonald's. I am also looking at a proper micro rig, but that's food for another thread

That's fair, I guess my perception of a micro rig is warped by having used an SS Mk4 with a Ferro mini dangler. 3 AR mags in the back, speedloader and gubbins in the front compartment and either water or an addition pair of mags in the mini dangler. That's everything I'd consider 'essential' in such a small form factor, but as you say, a conversation for another time/thread.

The Peacekeeper and Mayflower are the main two I'm aware of that seem to cover what you're after, the only other potential option being the Crye Airlite (or TMC clone of it). It's modular enough to set up for whatever you want and has without doubt the best harness... which also makes it the most secure and most comfortable. But all of these things all come at a cost, it's a bit of kit I wish I could recommend to literally everyone that plays the game but I'd consider the cost to be prohibative of me doing so.

So MAV style setups are too low, but vests/rigs are too restrictive, other than wearing a Velcro suit you’ve kinda kyboshed all setups 🤣

The split front MAV is great if you use double or triple shingles and make the last row of each shingle overlap the MAV buckles, that way you can carry 4-6 mags lo-pro, have room for radio/med/other gear on both rear sides, hydro or breacher on back.

The MAV is hands down the least restrictive in movement and breathing of any setup.

I run mine pretty high, but as you say, you cannot run as high as a vest/rig.

As such if you run a pistol belt you need to at least mid-ride your piece.

Edited by Davegolf

16 minutes ago, Skara said:

One of the reasons I sold the split front mav is the split front design: all the weight is shifted to the side since there is a rather large portion of unusable space at the front.

This combined with even a tiny ass backpack with nothing but a half filled 2L bladder (1.5kg total?) made the whole thing rock backwards, no matter how much shit I had at the front.

Design flaw? Me being a retard? No clue, but it made me stay away from anything split front.

This may be why the MLE has an additional strap connecting the side panels along the back - on the MAV it looks like the back of the panels are only connected directly via one strap along the bottom, with the shoulder straps alone being used to stabilise the top. I would guess that if you then add something that weighs down the back such as a hydration carrier it'll slacken the shoulder straps and could make the side panels less stable along the back as a result.

• Supporters

@Skara I'm shifting my warrior DAR, not suggesting you buy it lol, but something like it, has its own internal mag pouch setup (6 mags), fronted by loads of molle, plus will hold any size mags, whereas many similar setups are designed for 5.56 mags only.

Attached pics are someone else's, I run mine with a condor hydra pack which is very low profile & better option for spreading weight than the standard X-straps, plus its low profile enough to wear with a Bergen.

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

I have never liked PALLS attachment on chest rigs always seems to add to much bulk. I used to have an LBT 1961 but sold it and regretted it ever since. I saw these for sale awhile ago and gave it a punt https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/lbx-0062-lock--load-chest-rig-21201-p.asp love mine to death!! Review of it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWRJa4sqC-4

• Supporters
On 16/05/2021 at 19:11, Skara said:

Someone somewhere else suggested a Mayflower uw gen 4, but it doesn't seem to take ak mags (which really isn't a big deal, I'll be using M4s mostly but I like my stuff to be interchangeable within reason).

So many rigs to choose from :(

The Gen 4 would take AK74 mags but probably not AK47 ones, but the Gen V has interchangeable inserts so you can swap them about to your hearts content. I have a knock off one set up for M14 mags and works well.

https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/mayflower-uw-gen-v-split-front-chest-rig-33488-p.asp

Well, I am moving away from MOLLE stuff.

While it's true that you can set your pouches where you want, it is also true that the extra webbing adds a lot more bulk and weight. Plus the cost of a base + all the pouches can get incredibly high.

@LozartI don't have 7.62 ak mags, I run either 5.45 or 5.56 ak mags (heresy, I know). Nonetheless the top part is the exact same for all three kinds and it's the one that needs to fit inside the pouches.

I've gone through a few google searches but can't find anything at all in Europe..

@Skarahave you looked at the SADF M83 chest rig? They're lightweight, durable and will easily hold 6 AK mags

http://www.gbfmilitaria.com/shop/webbing-and-field-gear/sadf-chest-rig/

3 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

@Skarahave you looked at the SADF M83 chest rig? They're lightweight, durable and will easily hold 6 AK mags

http://www.gbfmilitaria.com/shop/webbing-and-field-gear/sadf-chest-rig/

I have, and concluded that it is way too tall for me. I have a relatively short chest so anything taller than 3 molle rows is gonna want to sit low and interfere with my belt.

I know, I'm picky. Since I'm gonna be dumping a hefty sum, I just want to make sure I buy the right rig.

48 minutes ago, Skara said:

I have, and concluded that it is way too tall for me. I have a relatively short chest so anything taller than 3 molle rows is gonna want to sit low and interfere with my belt.

I know, I'm picky. Since I'm gonna be dumping a hefty sum, I just want to make sure I buy the right rig.

I must admit I am completely stumped. If you hold an ak mag against your chest, with the top of the mag just below your nipples, would the bottom of the mag interfere with your waistline? The SADF chest rig for example is maybe 2cm higher than an AK magazine.

edit: my boring suggestion is that you stick with the TMR cause you know it works for you, have a fanny pack sitting below the shooters belt for smaller items like your mobile and speedloaders or whatever and a backpack of whatever size you need to carry the other larger items.

Edited by GeorgePlaysAirsoft

• Skara changed the title to On the Hunt for a New Rig, Sniper Edition
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.