Shady AF (Snake Oil Salesman Content)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, some local dude has been spamming the local FB Group with his awesomesauce helmet/visor combo that he expertly 'engineered':

image.png.5683bd9af440258be6a045c8f204e0fe.pngimage.png.eae0aa2372104d6bf4f9d4c437d0a899.png

He's flogging them for £130 a pop - and he's sold some too - gotta respect the hustle I suppose

Setting aside the stupid positioning of the NVG mount and ARC rails rendering them largely useless - I was concerned about the safety of the lenses - more on that later.

So this is the sort of shite he's been spouting:

image.png.1e411e9674dff92f7449972363e74dcb.png

Completely his design?? Is it bollocks...

image.thumb.png.4cb37d65ab6ce98f7d2f1aa437b10adc.png

So a £26 ski helmet, a set of cheap ARC rails and a few other bits added I'm sure with the help of a power drill and his expert engineering 'skillz'.

So heres where things get real shady IMO.

Everytime he spams the FB group - he disables any commenting on his post. No discourse, no open questions. Nope, Nada. Nothing.

image.png.afd0f470d87272cff7beef8419aac585.png

Except one day he forgot to do so - so I asked about the safety of the lenses.

image.png.03f205f71bfc86b45177fc9c06e3b9da.png

Then he promptly switched commenting off.

So my questions to you, dear fellow forumites are: Am I right to be concerned that cheap chinese tosh is being passed of as Airsoft Safety equipment with a premium price tag (a Warq helmet is only £65 more)? Would YOU trust your eyesight to someone who operates in this manner?

I'm debating as to whether I should PM the FB page Admin.

Rant over.

PM away...   if there really are no issues with what hes selling, then he wont mind proving it...

If not, then the likelyhood that hes flogging cheap shit thats actually dangerous to peoples eyesight is too big a risk to be allowed to continue

Not only is there a question Mark over the durability of the lens and their ability to withstand repeated bb hits in one go and over time, (full auto or a burst to the face shouldn’t happen, but is a possibility), but the fact that the lens is away from the face, no seal around the eyes, leads to the potential that a bb could find its way through the gap. Personally, I wouldn’t touch these. There’s plenty of better options around.

If he can’t even fit NVG mounts and ARC rails properly I very much doubt any testing has happened here. Blokes  a charlatan making money of people who want the expensive stuff but can’t quite afford it. Report away. 

PS it looks shit 

PPS probably a Walt as well 

Edited by GenuineGerman

Surely no one in their right mind would see that and think "Yes.  I want that.  I want to put that on my head".  Madness.  And those rails and NVG mount 😄

5 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Surely no one in their right mind would see that and think "Yes.  I want that.  I want to put that on my head".  Madness.  And those rails and NVG mount 😄

Meanwhile, at Ground Zero on Sunday.....

image.png.3f827bafd7d02062663c23b474afcd93.png

6 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Meanwhile, at Ground Zero on Sunday.....

image.png.3f827bafd7d02062663c23b474afcd93.png

"I can't hear you on comms bud, all I can hear is something that sounds like someone breathing through their nose."

Fishing for reactions aside, I feel like this is the sort of thing firmly targeting newer players and pushing for deeper scrutinisation before someone that doesn't know any better winds up with some long term injuries is absolutely something to chase for if possible.

The angle of those ARC rails genuinely made me 'lol' 

I know the answer but I'd love to see what a headset looks like mounted on them! 😂 

Jokes aside I agree with @alxndrhll 

Fair enough if it was just some freak of a bump helmet, but when your offering eye protection that's really not something you can muck about with!

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Super64 said:

but the fact that the lens is away from the face, no seal around the eyes, leads to the potential that a bb could find its way through the gap. Personally, I wouldn’t touch these. There’s plenty of better options around.

this does seem worrying

there's a few gaps it looks like from those pictures between the facemask and lens.

whilst ordinarily i'd appreciate the entrepreneurship of such a thing, the eye pro side of things is a major concern.

it's also concerning he considered point blank to be between 5 and 30 feet, that's a very vague number and as we discussed in a prior thread there is the slim (but still realistic) possibility that if you accidentally pop your head up at the wrong time you can catch a sniper round to the noggin at very short range.

to me at least if someone says "point blank" in this scenario i'm talking less than 1" from the muzzle.

• Supporters

Is he licensed to produce and sell ‘safety equipment’ ? Think that’ll be a very big “NO WAY” definitely report to admin and Facebook as well for selling counterfeit gear(I know it’s not a copy of anything but I’m not sure how to report ripping off people by selling ‘shonky Chinese tat‘ ?😉)👍

PS what FB group is it ? 

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

this does seem worrying

there's a few gaps it looks like from those pictures between the facemask and lens.

whilst ordinarily i'd appreciate the entrepreneurship of such a thing, the eye pro side of things is a major concern.

it's also concerning he considered point blank to be between 5 and 30 feet, that's a very vague number and as we discussed in a prior thread there is the slim (but still realistic) possibility that if you accidentally pop your head up at the wrong time you can catch a sniper round to the noggin at very short range.

to me at least if someone says "point blank" in this scenario i'm talking less than 1" from the muzzle.

Point blank is muzzle touching the lense. That's what we have done to test glasses and that was with a bolt action at 490ish.

I saw this, thought it looked people thought out but didn't think any more of it. Definitely report it. That's not just flogging crap that's putting people's eyes at risk

Drop in the fb group as well so we (I) can be part of a mass report. 

Concerns - no safety rating on lens

- clear gap and angle between mask and lens.

As above - report 

Airsoft eye protection standards worry me.  In practical terms all you have is an impact standard, reinforced only by what sites let though their door.

I respect that it’s your own problem if you don’t want to wear full face, but I despair over the gaps around people’s eyes with some - even when there are attempts to use face guards etc

With regard to impact testing check out this updated video of FMA lenses against old and new lenses to the correct standards:

(Noting that paintballs are bigger & heavier but contain liquid and break on impact which absorbs some energy - airsoft BBs are smaller and lighter but are solid and focus the energy on a small impact area)

Regarding the large visor style lens and the vast amount of space for a BB to get inside around the lens there was a design of ‘Angel Eyes’ goggles which have had a few attempts to get past standards approval under some other brands.  These are based on an almost full face lens and don’t have the snow goggle style foam sealing the area around the eyes.  They will never pass paintball goggle standards due to that.

821E2791-DF8F-4B9C-8B21-D3A18FE9CA59.jpeg

D2CBD9D6-E58E-4A47-9E46-ABFC1E467A8D.jpeg

(Note that in the second photo I was given the Angel Eye prototype to try on and was attempting a little bit of subminal advertising by reflecting an event flier in the lens.  The concept of ‘subliminal’ was lost on a certain person in the background)

I've flagged it to the Admin of the FB group. One of the admin responded almost immediately saying they will check it out.

image.png.c0358424d7edb96c98370f7cf62620cb.png

I'm not naming the seller or the group yet.

Not to mention the helmet (if safe to start with) has now had its structural integrity modified with screws, if someone was to mount a gopro etc and had a big slip or a fall, who knows how it would fair now up on a direct impact

1 hour ago, Jamerz said:

Not to mention the helmet (if safe to start with) has now had its structural integrity modified with screws, if someone was to mount a gopro etc and had a big slip or a fall, who knows how it would fair now up on a direct impact

Isn't that what is rumoured to happen with Schmacher Snr? His gopro mount weakened the helmet which meant it exploded on impact

Definitely right to report it. The fact that they turned off the comments makes me think these things have been brought up before so he's avoiding difficult questions. 

22 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Ants really good at coping, you’d never notice on TV that he’s blind in both eyes

Unless he's driving 

1 hour ago, Jamerz said:

Hang on a bit. We are talking about an airsoft helmet. Are they designed to save your nogging from big slips or heavy falls to start with? Its not a motor sports head protection nor would I wear one on site. Its part of the 'costume' its a prop. Sure it will stop a bb hurting but its not gonna explode or fail cause of a few screws which are in most helmets anyway. Let's not get carried away. It is not a life saver its a prop.👍

I do agree with the other issues though so I'm not all bad. Lol

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.