Hicap Magazines Unwinding

Nothingtoxic

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Excuse my ignorance - I’m new to airsoft after buying a job lot of guns as part of a clearance. I have (amongst others) 2 ICS guns. They came with 2 magazines with a winding wheel underneath. If I wind the mag up before inserting it it unwinds when I put it in. If I insert it then wind it up it fires 1 round then unwinds. The same thing happens with both guns and both magazines. Am I doing something wrong or does this indicate a particular issue? Thanks in advance. 

B71F1A91-2541-4C0A-8A0E-3C88F58D1F85.jpeg

EF6702CE-EB1E-4FD3-882B-F333E72940BC.jpeg

17 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

What happens if you insert the mag before winding? (and wind only until you start to feel some tension, then stop)

When I insert the mag first it fires 1 BB then unwinds. Could it be something as stupid as using the wrong size BB’s?

17 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

are they full of ammo?

it's normal for a hicap to unwind when there's not enough ammo left in the hopper to keep the stack of bb's in the feed tube all the way up to the chamber.

I’m pretty sure they were both full but will try again to make sure. 

2 hours ago, Nothingtoxic said:

When I insert the mag first it fires 1 BB then unwinds. Could it be something as stupid as using the wrong size BB’s?

I’m pretty sure they were both full but will try again to make sure. 

What brand of BBs are you using? It's unlikely to be undersized BBs but if you are using cheap BBs you run the risk of damaging the gun. Check list. Is the mag full before winding, are you holding the mag vertically when winding, and are you winding until the winding click noise changes? 

On 11/05/2021 at 13:38, Adolf Hamster said:

are they full of ammo?

it's normal for a hicap to unwind when there's not enough ammo left in the hopper to keep the stack of bb's in the feed tube all the way up to the chamber.

I’m pretty certain I couldn’t fit anymore in but will double check 👍

12 hours ago, BigStew said:

What brand of BBs are you using? It's unlikely to be undersized BBs but if you are using cheap BBs you run the risk of damaging the gun. Check list. Is the mag full before winding, are you holding the mag vertically when winding, and are you winding until the winding click noise changes? 

I’m using a pack of Marui 0.25g heavy weight BBs. I’m winding until the click changes. It takes bloody ages! Not sure I’ve been holding it vertically. Probably had it horizontally to be honest. Will give that a try 👍

On 11/05/2021 at 13:36, Cr0-Magnon said:

What happens if you insert the mag before winding? (and wind only until you start to feel some tension, then stop)

Worth a try. Thanks 

On 11/05/2021 at 13:38, Adolf Hamster said:

are they full of ammo?

Yep, completely full. 

Sounds like the mechanism is just fubar.

You can normally get new ones for around £15-£20

Unfortunately UK shops are low on stock because of the Brexit crap.

I think this one is compatible

https://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-magazines-c3/high-capacity-c51/jing-gong-spare-high-capacity-magazine-for-mp5-aeg-p10517

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Nothingtoxic said:

Yep, completely full. 

hmm, only thing i can think beyond it being broken is maybe there's a logjam of bb's in there?

emptying and re-filling the hopper should confirm that.

otherwise as @EDcase says new mag time perhaps. good opportunity to join the mid-cap master race if you ain't so fond of winding.

Spring could be slipping but that would generally mean something broken In the mech. Next stage would be to at least take the mag casing off.

Edited by BigStew

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.