V3 Gb Selector Issue

Pewpewpetie

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi again, so today I took my ak apart as I usually do once a month for a clean and degrease. Never before have I encountered this problem. This gun now shoots on full auto even when on semi. It shoots lovely and is shimmed well. All aspects of cut off lever seem fine and all linking gears that sit on the outside of gearbox are connected correctly.

13 minutes ago, Pewpewpetie said:

Hi again, so today I took my ak apart as I usually do once a month for a clean and degrease. Never before have I encountered this problem. This gun now shoots on full auto even when on semi. It shoots lovely and is shimmed well. All aspects of cut off lever seem fine and all linking gears that sit on the outside of gearbox are connected correctly.

Its pissed off cause you keep taking it apart every bloody month! And now its had enough lol. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‰

• Supporters

once a month seems pretty excessive for maintenance, even by my standards.....

ย 

you haven't trapped a wire or such against the COL?

ย 

also, how high a round count are we talking, could be COL has worn out?

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

once a month seems pretty excessive for maintenance, even by my standards.....

ย 

you haven't trapped a wire or such against the COL?

ย 

also, how high a round count are we talking, could be COL has worn out?

No it's all fine, it's almost like the cut off lever isn't working, yet it looks fine. I posted again by mistake with pics

Selector plate is a tooth out on the linkage.

Makes the gun go Safe>Auto>Auto

@Adolf Hamster I thought you owned a boat load of AK's! Have you never had this happen!

The selector probably wants moving 1 tooth backwards. But it might be more than that. When you get it right A dab of paint on the selector and linkage will give you a quick rebuild reference.

ย 

Edited by Iceni

12 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Selector plate is a tooth out on the linkage.

Makes the gun go Safe>Auto>Auto

@Adolf Hamster I thought you owned a boat load of AK's! Have you never had this happen!

The selector probably wants moving 1 tooth towards the air nozzle. But it might be more than that. When you get it right A dab of paint on the selector and linkage will give you a quick rebuild reference.

ย 

I have tried manually moving the selector plate by hand and still same result.

If you are 100% that it's not the selector and the little spring is in place. Then it's something you have done to the gearbox.

COL damaged or too tight.
Damage to the contacts dolly.

Edit: The selector wants to go backwards not forwards as I said above... There's a little cutout at the front of the selector that the COL rides in. When the COL drops into that wider part the gun should be in semi.ย 
ย 

Edited by Iceni

10 hours ago, Iceni said:

If you are 100% that it's not the selector and the little spring is in place. Then it's something you have done to the gearbox.

COL damaged or too tight.
Damage to the contacts dolly.

Edit: The selector wants to go backwards not forwards as I said above... There's a little cutout at the front of the selector that the COL rides in. When the COL drops into that wider part the gun should be in semi.ย 
ย 

No, tried everything. Even when col is in the gap it's not catching the sector for semi(even with pressure applied)

IMG_20210508_184235.jpg

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Iceni said:

ย 

i do, and i have, but given the op's once a month takedown policy i'd assumed he'd have known that too.

ย 

12 hours ago, Pewpewpetie said:

No it's all fine, it's almost like the cut off lever isn't working, yet it looks fine. I posted again by mistake with pics

ย 

looks like the COL isn't engaging the cam, hard to tell how worn it is from the pic byt it's worth checking that by hand.

ย 

pull everything bar the COL and the sector gear, rotate by hand and see if it's still moving.

ย 

normally this is pretty common if the COL is a different brand to the rest of the gearbox, but can also happen with wear.

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

i do, and i have, but given the op's once a month takedown policy i'd assumed he'd have known that too.

ย 

ย 

looks like the COL isn't engaging the cam, hard to tell how worn it is from the pic byt it's worth checking that by hand.

ย 

pull everything bar the COL and the sector gear, rotate by hand and see if it's still moving.

ย 

normally this is pretty common if the COL is a different brand to the rest of the gearbox, but can also happen with wear.

I'll order another cut off lever and see, to be honest it doesn't look worn at all. This sounds silly but should the trigger pull move the COL. I.e when in semi does the trigger unit itself engage with the COL in anyway?

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Pewpewpetie said:

I'll order another cut off lever and see, to be honest it doesn't look worn at all. This sounds silly but should the trigger pull move the COL. I.e when in semi does the trigger unit itself engage with the COL in anyway?

ย 

worth checking that's really what's going on before ordering bits.

ย 

yes the trigger can, it'll pick up the forward end of the COL which might move it slightly, this is why lockups can happen if the COL is slightly raised and the end that engages the trolley is in in between it'll neither get picked up nor ride over and jam.

54 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

ย 

yes the trigger can, it'll pick up the forward end of the COL which might move it slightly, this is why lockups can happen if the COL is slightly raised and the end that engages the trolley is in in between it'll neither get picked up nor ride over and jam.

I think I just have to admit defeat on this one before it drives Me Crazy hahaha. I have. Taken everything off and inspected every aspect of COL and Trigger and selector plate no. Wear at all. Really appreciate everyone's help

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

ย 

I'm not getting any engagement between trigger unit and COL

25 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

it's not tripping the trolley?

No. When I pull the trigger there is no interaction between trolley and COL.ย 

Edited by Pewpewpetie
Mistake

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Pewpewpetie said:

No. When I pull the trigger there is no interaction between trolley and COL.ย 

ย 

if you have the trolley forward and tip the COL does it still trip ok?

ย 

sounds like that might be your problem, maybe worth looking at the trolley see if there's any damage?

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

if you have the trolley forward and tip the COL does it still trip ok?

ย 

sounds like that might be your problem, maybe worth looking at the trolley see if there's any damage?

Not sure I 100% understand but no part of the trigger or trigger switch touches/or interacts with the COL in anyway

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Pewpewpetie said:

Not sure I 100% understand but no part of the trigger or trigger switch touches/or interacts with the COL in anyway

ย 

that could be your problem then.

ย 

end of the COL should kick the trolley up and over the trigger (the second price which is what pushes the tolley forward)

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

ย 

end of the COL should kick the trolley up and over the trigger (the second price which is what pushes the tolley forward)

Got to go away for a night so when I get back I'll upload a video of what is happening within trigger unit/COL. really appreciate all your help.

On 09/05/2021 at 14:43, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

ย 

COL appears to be fine

• Supporters

only other interface left then is to see if the col has enough movement to lift the trolley up and over the trigger.

ย 

it looks like it's a decent amount, but the devil's in the details.

28 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

only other interface left then is to see if the col has enough movement to lift the trolley up and over the trigger.

ย 

Yes it does. Really baffling me now

32 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

When I put sector gear and COL in with trigger and close the shell, the trigger unit doesn't touch the Col

37 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

I have figured it out, trolley is broken. Looks like a piece hase snapped off of the sideย 

IMG_20210512_151655_BURST001_COVER.jpg

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, Pewpewpetie said:

I have figured it out, trolley is broken. Looks like a piece hase snapped off of the sideย 

ย 

if i have the orientation of that part right in my head then that's exactly the bit it'd be engaging.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

ย 

if i have the orientation of that part right in my head then that's exactly the bit it'd be engaging.

Yep, really appreciate your time helping. Many thanksย 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.