Anyone Experienced With Running External Audio Through Comtac Headsets?

Chev Chelios

So I have a Peltor Comtac III headset and to run the standard mic you need and amplified PTT otherwise VON is really quite. I bought a 3.5mm audio plug to go in the other mic socket to listen to music or the odd time using an android program to communicate. The issue I am having is the sound volume is super low I am thinking I need to "amplify" it in some way? 

Anyone know of an amp to go between the cable and the device? Or any advice on how to up the volume without going through a PTT?

3.5 mm cable https://3mpeltor.earshotcommunications.co.uk/product/3m-peltor-fl6n/

Attaching a photo as to converse a thousand words and all that.

I know its very niche subject but am always surprised about the amount of knowledge kicking around here. Thanks very much for any help. 

20210304_145332.jpg

friend of mine put a wireless earbud in first before putting on his headset and streamed via bluetooth from his phone

he did say it got a bit uncomfortable after a while though

Edited by strykerles

• Supporters

Firstly - excellent choice of tunes.

Secondly - it's as much about matching the impedance as it is amplification. The headphone output of a p[hone is quite low impedance to match up with normal headphones, COMTACs and the like will need an amplifier of some kind, not necessarily a PTT but you could do a lot worse than to talk to John at JCi Communications https://www.facebook.com/Jci-Comms-222286948363715/

• 3 months later...

I've had a simar issue.

I use these leads with my sporttac. Like you k had a stereo lead for the when I'm using the headset at work and listening to my phone (audio books etc). The mics are often mono despite looking like a stereo plug and after switching to a mono cable when plugged into the mic it worked great. I wouldn't have been my first thought especially after opening the mic to check the wiring but I spoke to jci communication and the issue is on the peltor side.

I now have a stereo lead in the van for work and a mono tied into my plate carrier for radio use.

Edited by concretesnail

• 2 years later...

I've been using my peltor comtac xpi (model mt20h682fb-02 sv) with fl6n stereo plug to listen to music. While the cable is labeld stereo, as far as I know it means that sounds come from both left and right speakers, but only the sounds that are coming to the right side. Meaning I can hear both speakers play the right side's audio only. Does anyone know any solution for that?