Tightening a Barrel Nut.

concretesnail

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I need to tighten a barrel nut but i don't have an specific tool to do the job.

The nut is inside a sleeve which carries the rail on my tr16 308 so I need to find the tool that I can use to work the nut.

Does anyone have an advice as to which tool is the correct tool for this job?

779376733_barrelniut.thumb.jpg.2e45039e543e030bdc112e44354cb67f.jpg

This is the barrel nut type im trying to tighten. as you can see its recessed into the sleeve which rail mounts too.

31 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

779376733_barrelniut.thumb.jpg.2e45039e543e030bdc112e44354cb67f.jpg

This is the barrel nut type im trying to tighten. as you can see its recessed into the sleeve which rail mounts too.

There are two raised lugs. Can you rotate nut by hand using those lugs until its nearly tight and then place a wide flat bladed screwdriver on lugs and gently tap it tight?

I know what I mean. Lol

Regards 

I Know what you mean and that is the last option really as I'm not sure what it's made of and how hard it is So I like to apply even pressure using a tool, I was just hoping for there to be one that includes a few other lug options.

21 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

I Know what you mean and that is the last option really as I'm not sure what it's made of and how hard it is So I like to apply even pressure using a tool, I was just hoping for there to be one that includes a few other lug options.

I don't think you will break it with a bit of judicious tapping. Its probably mild steel so will take a bit of punishment.

Another plan comes to mind. Find a piece of flat bar or a bolt with the head cut off which spans across opening. Place one end under the lug and other end on top of opposite lug. Get mole grips or pliers and grip bar/ bolt in middle and turn?

This method takes approximately 3 hands but is achievable 😉👍

Regards 

i know what you mean but the nut in question has the barrel in the way for spanning the lugs so the tool has to go round the fitted barrel and reach into the collar to meet the lugs. I was hoping that there was tool with a mix of lugs for a variety of nuts but if there isnt ill have to make a key for this one. its not a problem but its a job i wass hoping not to have to do.

9 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

i know what you mean but the nut in question has the barrel in the way for spanning the lugs so the tool has to go round the fitted barrel and reach into the collar to meet the lugs. I was hoping that there was tool with a mix of lugs for a variety of nuts but if there isnt ill have to make a key for this one. its not a problem but its a job i wass hoping not to have to do.

Yeah I'm with ya. There must be a tool available. 

Good luck though 👍

Looks like a ball-ache.

image.png.1dc64b00c3924880052db65ae6de1a1d.png

I would tighten by hand and the use a drift/Flat punch on the lugs to tap it tight - assuming it's not made of cheese.

Not ideal, but G&G don't have any tool for this rail on their website.

Other options:

- email G&G customer support and ask their advice - there might be a real steel tool that they use.

- Buy a tube that's about the same width as the nut, and cut notches into it to create something akin to this:

image.png.70c6976f60654d6cc778b21cfeb1b230.png

-Find someone who's got a 3d printer that can create a tool for you

i think its going to hae to be tool making time. ill check if i have got a spare angle grinder key that could be reshaped to drop in to the lugs as a quick options but if not itll be a tube and tooth cut with the outside of the tube edged for a spanner.

ill post up if i find a good option.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.