Se Tour Review: Thg - Ruckus 2.0 - Tilmanstone Works (Kent)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Tilmanstone Works 

Contact details: N/A

Website Address: (1) The Heresy Group - YouTube

Facebook Page: The Heresy Group | Facebook

Site Address: Tilmanstone Works Pike Rd, Eythorne, Dover, CT15 4ND

A slightly different one this time around! I heard about The Heresy Groups "Ruckus 2.0" from a friend. THG hire out places that are not used as Airsoft sites on a regular basis, which introduces some interesting places. Coming into the Airsoft scene too late to enjoy UCAP Sandpit, I was quite eager to check out a full blown Quarry. The closest thing myself and @Albiscuithave played at being Imperium which has some Quarry sections.  

Tilmanstone Works is a largish outdoor site, most of which is an active Quarry, interspersed by Quarry hardware (Stone blocks, shipping containers, rusted out vehicles. There is plenty of elevation as well as a small valley of woodland vegetation. There are some very open areas, but there are always sections you can move through with more cover. The elevation itself can be used as cover. 

There are sections for short, medium and long distance engagements. 

So myself Albiscuit and 4 others decided to make our way on a sunny if windy day on 25/05/2021.

Good:

Playing Area: Very very good. We had reservations about the site being too open and somewhat boring, but were completely unfounded.

An active quarry is both somewhat bleak, exposed and interesting at the same time. As mentioned in the intro, there is lots of elevation that can be used to both expose the opposing team, but also hide behind. There are lots of ditches, some woodland outcrops, concrete barriers, shipping containers and vehicles to hide behind. But in some areas it's open warfare with expanses of flat ground. If you are relatively fit, you can take advantage of the more esoteric approaches which can be ankle breaking if you're not careful, but can be utterly rewarding. 

Clientele: There was a large turnout, no problems with the clientele, heard very little to no grumbling throughout the day. A sense of comradery and people who were just happy to play something as unique as this place .

Hit taking: Was very good. No complaints heard. 

Turn around time: There was little in the way of breaks. There were 4 different games and lunch. We didn't feel short changed. 

Marshalling: Very good, plenty of people around who encouraged people to get back out there from the spawn points. 

Safety Brief: Perfectly fine, covered everything, they had a physical representation of the blast radius of pyro which was helpful. There were no noobies for the day, so it was tailored towards experienced players. 

Chrono: Everyone's primaries were chronoed at the beginning of the day. 370 FPS for AEGs, 450 FPS for DMR and 500 FPS for BAR's. The players own BB weight for the day was used and rifles tagged. 

Value: £30, for something as unique as it is, I felt it was good value. 

Car Park/Entrance: Directions were easy to follow. The gates shut at 9:30, and there was a reception at the gate to take the money and sign in. The Car Park was based inside earth mounds with an auxiliary car park just outside that was more open to the elements. 

Shop: Multiple shops were on site including CamoRaids, Valkyrie BB's and a night vision for hire stand (Despite it not being a night game), it's more for promotion purposes. 

Raffle: Everyone likes a raffle, there was a free one for everyone as part of your entry fee. Two of the six of us even managed to win! 

Average:

Game Modes/Brief: Not the typical attack and defend. There was a capture the flag game and a VIP game. There was a free for all at the end of the day, stages with the winners moving into the finals. It would have been good to know that we needed mobile phones to take photos of the VIP with other players on your team before we went out to the spawn point. I felt this sort of game is better suited to CQB sites like the Mall rather then something at an outdoor quarry. 

Bad: 

Safe Zone: It's not a true site, so there is no cover and everyone sets up from their cars.  

Toilets: No on-site facilities; was recommended to bring Wet Wipes ahead of time.

Food: No food on-site; was recommended to bring our own ahead of time.

COVID awareness: I didn't hear much if anything mentioned about social distancing or COVID awareness. There was no mask wearing in the safe zone. Also there was no pre-booking, so no control over numbers that could show up. 

Conclusion: 

We loved the day. We were very surprised in how good the playing area was and was utterly refreshing to play at over the usual outdoor site. We wish this was a proper full blown regular site and may be one we visit often despite the distance. We heard one guy had travelled all the way from Lincolnshire to play! 

A word of warning, you wont be washing your clothes after the day as much as beating them with a broom to get the dust out! 

We cant wait for Ruckus 3.0 and hope it will align with our schedules! What would be a great addition would be working Technical/Vehicles, if this could happen it would be amazing. 

The Heresy Group have run a very successful day despite the high winds and can be proud of themselves from that perspective.

Very little has to improve if this continues to be a once in a while skirmish. Though having a pre-booking system in times of Covid would make me feel much better for turning up. 

Bullpup Watch: Very few; an SVU... I don't remember much else. Very little variance from M4 styles. 

Best Guess Map: 

image.thumb.png.7beacd1ca53291069ff5f86b83a4a3ab.png

Edited by Asomodai

Sounds like a good fella, though the chrono sounds a tad odd of they are using the players own bb weight rather than a control weight or joule.

1 hour ago, concretesnail said:

Sounds like a good fella, though the chrono sounds a tad odd of they are using the players own bb weight rather than a control weight or joule.

My local would ask what weight you were firing, chrono you and then check on a conversion chart to make sure you were okay (saved the time of having to set the weight for every player and have the chrono show joules instead). Perhaps they did something similar. As opposed to NAE where they chrono on 0.2g and don't give a shit what you'll be firing. Case and point, my P* will fire 0.2g at 280 fps (0.73J) well below the 370 (1.3J) legal limit. However, simply changing to firing 0.3s and keep everything else the same (80psi on the reg) I'm how firing 300fps (1.25J). Close enough to the limit for my liking, what does the Marshall tell me? Go on mate, turn you reg up you've got plenty of fps to spare. This is after I tell him I'll be firing 0.3s. 🤯

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.