Se Tour Review: Ucap Greenops (Hampshire)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: UCAP Greenops

Contact detailss: 07590 818881

Website Address: GreenOps Liphook (ucap.co.uk)

Facebook Page: UCAP Airsoft | Facebook

Site Address: 1 New Lodge, Hollycombe, Liphook GU30 7LP

Welcoming in the 2021 "Season" of SE Tour reviews, we started at UCAP Greenops on 18/04/2021

The only UCAP site within the SE Tour brief. UCAP needs no introduction in the world of airsoft events. Running four different sites that are quite different to the standard Airsoft Fayre. Greenops is their only pure woodland site. This site was about the limit to our arbitrary travel time limits taking an hour and a half to get to @Albiscuitand a further hour and half to the site. 

Greenops is the lesser talked about, but well reviewed site in the UCAP roster, it is a small woodland site situated on a slight slope. There is a mix of clear areas and very thick foliage. Multiple structures and earthworks dotted around the site. Unusually it is very sandy underfoot. Short to medium engagement distance. 

Good:

Playing Area: This was the best part of the days experience. A small woodland site, but has lots of manmade props, including a two story church, FOB, airplane fuselages and assorted huts. The bushes are very thick with branches and can be difficult to traverse unless determined so most are forced down the cleared/recognised paths. 

Even though the site is small, running games in different directions keeps it fresh for at least the day we played. 

Clientele: There was a limit of around 50-60 players due to COVID. Mostly experienced players with only a couple of people who had never played before. Everyone was quite friendly in the safe zone, maybe a little "too" friendly considering the pandemic. There was very little griping during the day, people just happy to play.

Hit taking: Was pretty good all day long. I only heard a couple of minor complaints. 

Turn around time: There was the intention of having back to back games until lunch, however despite being warned, players didn't bring enough ammo, so there were more breaks then wanted. This is not the marshal's fault as they would have been happier to stay out playing. Otherwise the turn around to time was good and the marshals kept putting on games until people were too tired to carry on past 4:40pm. 

Average: 

Marshalling: Due to the small site size and good amount of marshals, you could find one pretty quickly. They were pretty hands off and relaxed.

Safety Brief: It started off mentioning that it wont be as long a "Mall" briefing, but ended up being much longer and without the wit of Luke. It was long, but covered everything you needed to know. 

Game Modes: Were fairly basic, mostly defend/attack and fetch quest games. It worked quite well and probably takes the small size of the site into account, however it would have been nice to see a fall back game that utilised the entire site. 

Value: £25 not bad for what you get in terms of a playing area. 

Car Park/Entrance: Well sign posted, long and bumpy dirt road up to the two car parks. The second car park had only just been created, however was not quite big enough as cars were penned in and had to wait for others to move to get out.

Safe Zone: During lockdown this was expanded along with the car park. It's a wooden structure which is predominantly under cover. Much like the car park, it's not big enough to support the numbers that arrived. However due to COVID, everyone set up in the Car Park anyway. 

Toilets: A portaloo, but we didn't see it, or use it, so can't really judge this either way.

Bad: 

Chrono: Everyone's primaries were chronoed at the beginning of the day as you walk into the safety brief and first game. None of the guns were marked, you only had the opportunity to chrono one rifle which is the one you bring to the first game. Any other rifles you used in subsequent games were not checked. In the safety brief they justified it by saying people remove tags and put it on other rifles or change the spring on the sly. If they caught anyone with a hot gun, it's an immediate dismissal, however I didn't see any chrono checks after the initial one in the morning. 

I really don't agree with the site view on this. FPS limits are 350 for AEGs, 420 for DMRs and 500 for BASR. Gas pistols were not checked and you chrono using your bb weight. 

Shop: We didn't see any shop on site. The website states they sell the essentials so it's unlikely they would sell anything beyond gas and bbs. 

Food: We didn't see any at the time. apart from a tea urn. According to the website they only sell snacks (Though due to COVID they might not have sold anything). So bring your own lunch. 

COVID awareness: I didn't hear much if anything mentioned about social distancing or COVID awareness. Other sites have enacted social distancing and enforced the use of fabric masks in the safe zone. I didn't see any of this at Greenops. 

Wall of BBs: The amount of full auto and trigger spam got worse throughout the day, people were just hammering bushes hoping to get a kill. I'd like to see semi auto only on AEG's during the day. 

Conclusion: 

Despite the somewhat average review, we did enjoy our time at Greenops. The playing area was rather unique for a woodland setting in that it could be classed as CQB in many areas. It reminds me of certain parts of Red 1 Chislehurst but with more variation. The size of the site was small, but we were knackered come the end of the day due to the long walks back to respawn, we think having a moveable spawn point that follows the action will improve the skirmishes and participation. 

It would be interesting to see what happens to the playing area in the future and if they can actually fit anymore stuff into a small footprint such that it is. But it's mostly the ancillary things that needs improvement, safe zone, parking, food, shop etc. 

If you are looking for CQB, but out in the lovely Hampshire sunshine, Greenops will probably tick your boxes! 

Bullpup Watch: Only one, and that was the SOC-AR of mine. 

Best Guess Map: 

Greenops.thumb.png.e2418e1b1fd000b153592b5382ca244b.png

Edited by Asomodai

Only thing I will add is there was a small hand sanitiser station, but otherwise pretty spot on.

A really fun site and a decent day airsofting, like most of my other review comments I just wish it was a little closer, I could see me going more often if it was.

16 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Only thing I will add is there was a small hand sanitiser station, but otherwise pretty spot on.

A really fun site and a decent day airsofting, like most of my other review comments I just wish it was a little closer, I could see me going more often if it was.

I didn't see that. Shows how rusty I am with the enforced break! Have updated the original post! 

It was right outside the safe zone, you must have walked past it a dozen times :D  

Thanks for good review of my local site👍

We went on the 17th(sat) and the site shop was open and there was a big box of pot noodles for anyone to help themselves.

Hot Food is normally served up at lunch time but due to... blah blah.

Thanks again and hope to see you there one day. 👀🙂

Regards 

So it wasnt tea breaks this time? I mean, if someone tells you to take lots of ammo and you run low/out...

Glad to hear you played till late. It does somehow feel bigger than the very narrow site it is right? 

Best kill site my brother found was in the dense bush. On the floor near one of the paths. They just couldn't figure out where he was.

2 hours ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Best kill site my brother found was in the dense bush. On the floor near one of the paths. They just couldn't figure out where he was.

Sound like the area behind the radio shack. Very prickly and stingy though! Lol

I shall remember that just in case he's there again 👍🙂

Regards 

On 26/04/2021 at 16:41, Jaylordofwaargh said:

So it wasnt tea breaks this time? I mean, if someone tells you to take lots of ammo and you run low/out...

Glad to hear you played till late. It does somehow feel bigger than the very narrow site it is right? 

Your right for what is essentially one of the smallest outdoor sites I think I have played at, it really didnt feel that way, and I only found the radio shack area towards the end of the day. I couldnt really fault the site, they have done loads with what they have and there is a huge range of cover.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.