Loading Pistol Gas Mags

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I just wondered how many owners load from the top and how many from the bottom.

With something like a TM hi capa it is relatively easy to load from the bottom because the bb channel opening widens after a couple of cm. It is relatively easy to hold down the spring and squirt in five bbs at a time from a speed loader.  You can't do it so easily with the TM M9A1  though.

With the M9A1 jor a WE Glock you have to pull the spring a long way down to get the bbs in from the bottom. The spring is hard to hold on to, and I always get more bbs on the floor than in the mag. 

I've always been wary of using a speed loader to load from the top since the mag lips are pretty fragile.

But recently I have taken to loading one at a time by hand from the top. It takes longer but the bbs seem to settle better in the mag.

Edited by emilianoksa

Always from the bottom. I pull down from behind the follower, rather than on it as otherwise it can spring back up. One thing I love about my Umarex Glock 19X is the gap is wide enough to fit BB's in the whole way up.

• Supporters

generally top load, either via speedloader or by hand.

dislike loading from the bottom as you always get an uneven stack and the shaking/rattling that goes with trying to get it to even out.

however i tend not to completely fill mags, my rule of thumb is whatever the RS capacity for the gun is what i expect to mag dump from a fresh fill, if i need more than that then that's what extra magazines are for. so thumb loading 12 rounds into the makarov isn't exactly a chore.

• Supporters

As a real steel shooter many years before I'd even heard of Airsoft, always top load, but to be honest I wasn't aware there was an alternative method🤔

15 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

generally top load, either via speedloader or by hand.

dislike loading from the bottom as you always get an uneven stack and the shaking/rattling that goes with trying to get it to even out. 

I can apply just enough pressure on my speedloader to expell one BB at a time. That way I don't get gaps but funnily enough the only guns I had which were fussy when it came to that were the SSX23 and SSP1.

3 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I can apply just enough pressure on my speedloader to expell one BB at a time. That way I don't get gaps but funnily enough the only guns I had which were fussy when it came to that were the SSX23 and SSP1.

You obviously weren't loading bbs the correct way...

I always load from the bottom, the ssx23 followers are absolutely wank to pull and as @Cr0-Magnonsaid, even when loading one bb at a time, they often stack up inccorrectly.

Whereas my glock mags are 101% fine :D

1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Always from the bottom. I pull down from behind the follower, rather than on it as otherwise it can spring back up. One thing I love about my Umarex Glock 19X is the gap is wide enough to fit BB's in the whole way up.

+1

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

As a real steel shooter many years before I'd even heard of Airsoft, always top load, but to be honest I wasn't aware there was an alternative method🤔

That's the only way with rs? 👍

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Shamal said:

+1

That's the only way with rs? 👍

lol obviously ?, who'd consider an alternative, especially when most speedloaders have the flip over guide/funnel that tends to match up to mag feed lips perfectly ?

14 minutes ago, Tackle said:

most speedloaders have the flip over guide/funnel that tends to match up to mag feed lips perfectly ?

My new viper speedloader came with that gizmo on it.

Seems a bit wobbly but will try it and how it works?

👍

Regards 

On my TM MK23 mags I load from the bottom, angled top down, by hand.

This ensures the correct stacking of the bb's to fit maximum amount in and that they'll all feed correctly. There's definitely a "right" way to stack them on these because the follower is slanted.

I guess if I were using a GBB and in a hurry I might do it with a speedloader, but that's about the only time I would.

3 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Same for me. Load from the bottom with a speedloader, just pushing one BB at a time and tilting the mag a little each time to get the alternating sides.

My Hi Capa doesn't seem to mind if the stack isn't perfect. I haven't shot the XP-19 enough to be sure yet.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.