What Helps You Decide on a Magazine?

Dacks_18

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Midcap = Realism and stealth but less BB's so need more of them.

Hi-cap = Lots of BB's but noisy (maracas)

I use hi-caps and have at least 2 for each of my gunz which adds up...

Moving stealthy will not make too much noise and running doesn't really matter how much noise I make 😄

I mainly use semi so a couple of hi-caps lasts a whole game.

Edited by EDcase

I, like most people, started off with hicaps - I had three 500rd mags for my Cyma AK74. I was very much a spray-and-pray airsofter back then, so I liked the fact that I could carry 1500 rounds at once, having not spent much money on mags or mag pouches. The trouble is, they remove some of the realism of airsoft, and of course there's that sodding rattling noise that you get if you so much as scratch a bollock.

I've since kicked over to midcaps and I've never looked back. I love the realism (sort of) of having limited ammunition and having to reload, I love the tactical advantage of quieter movement, and my wallet loves the fact that I now spend less on BBs.

• Supporters

screw hicaps, they rattle, winding them is annoying and i've never met one that could discharge a decent amount of rounds without constantly being wound in the field. people claim such magazines exist but i've never seen it.

they are however the standard mag you tend to get with a new gun, and when just starting out they're good for carrying enough ammo to play with without needing to invest extra in mags/gear to carry the mags, a single hicap with a spare in a pocket is a lot of rounds.

midcaps imo are better in every way, used to be their main downside was being slow/annoying to load with the older style speedloaders but now you can buy an odin m12 and refill a ton of mags quick enough you can even do it mid game. aside from that they're fit and forget- fire it till it's empty then reload.

57 minutes ago, IFartedOnTheWayHere said:

of course there's that sodding rattling noise that you get if you so much as scratch a bollock.

😂😂😂

Okay so midcaps you don't need to wind them at all?

So we're talking like 150rds and just change mag when empty? I like that idea a lot more

• Supporters

I have mags in pretty much every denomination, hi's/mids/lows, for most of my platforms, but like @EDcase, if I'm playing a regular skirmish I'll run a minimalist load out with 3 hi-caps, 99% of the time I only use single shot anyway so yeah they will last all day.

to be honest, the mids or lows only come out to play for special  games where ammo limits/mag types are specific.

As for hi-caps rattling, it's an exaggeration, if someone's moving fast enough to rattle the mags, likelihood is they're making more noise than the mags (or their running style is kinda "speshul"😳)

3 minutes ago, Dacks_18 said:

😂😂😂

So we're talking like 150rds and just change mag when empty? 

More like 80 to 120, depending on brand

Hi caps for me all the way where possible, I tend to only use semi and two hi caps can last me all day. Also means I don’t have to had 8 mags strapped to me. But then I’m all for lightweight stripped back loadouts rather than having everything including the kitchen sink strapped to me. And as mentioned the noice is only an issue when running and then stealth goes out the window so it’s a moot point.

Grab some of each and work out what you prefer though.

Shame my gas mp9 and mp7 mags don’t come with a hi cap version though :D  

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Dacks_18 said:

😂😂😂

Okay so midcaps you don't need to wind them at all?

So we're talking like 150rds and just change mag when empty? I like that idea a lot more

There are mid caps that claim up to 250 rounds but tbh around 120-150 seems to be the sweet spot for reliable feeding.

But yeah just fire until the bb's stop coming out (you'll hear the difference in the sound of the gun) and just reload.

I'm a mid cap fan. I enjoy reloading and I also play milsim, which often won't let you use high-caps unless you're an LMG. I also don't like winding personally, Either you have to pull back into cover or not hold your gnu properly while you wind. Unless you are playing an event that restricts you though, it's generally personal preference. I've definitely gone around a corner to find my midcap empty... that's partly on me for not counting my shots though.

10 minutes ago, Paukinra said:

I'm a mid cap fan. I enjoy reloading and I also play milsim, which often won't let you use high-caps unless you're an LMG. I also don't like winding personally, Either you have to pull back into cover or not hold your gnu properly while you wind. Unless you are playing an event that restricts you though, it's generally personal preference. I've definitely gone around a corner to find my midcap empty... that's partly on me for not counting my shots though.

Yeah, for milsim mid-caps make much more sense and I'd definitely use them in that scenario.

In general game days there'll be a few people you'll have to empty a whole mag into before they take the hint 😆

You can always buy a few of each and vary them during the day.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
53 minutes ago, Dacks_18 said:

Hang on... hang on I'm taking notes and you're talking really fast.

"No ... kitchen sink... okay, got it"

Dont listen to him, he'll see the light once he see's us having a proper tea and crumpets on proper tables and plates rather than eating beans out of the tin in a muddy hole.

A gentleman must have standards y'know......

High caps are easy. You can fill directly from a bottle of BB's as they have a trap door loading method. They rattle a bit, You have to wind them on. But essentially on the field 1 high cap and a bottle of BB's stuffed in a pocket is more ammo than most could use in a day, and you can fill up in 1 minute without any other tools. Easy to have 500 bb's loaded and be carrying 3000.

Mid caps are a bit more involved. You have a bit more investment in the magazines because you will own more of them. You will also need some way to carry those mags. Say you have 5 mags, then you are going to need at least 4 pouches, or 2 double pouches, a webbing kit, vest or bag, And if it's a full day of play you may also need to have your bottle of BB's and a loader. 5x100 is still only 500bb's. If you are carrying a bottle you'll want a pouch or bag for that and the speed loader. The reward for midcaps is you don't have to wind the mag. So the gun is always ready until the ammo is out. You don't rattle as much, and you get far more mag swaps in a game over high caps, without it been a constant thing like with low caps. You'll have a bit more downtime to reload those mags, and a decent speed loader can save a lot of frustration when you have 5 mags to sort between games, or whilst your been covered mid game.

Low caps are even more involved, whilst you can get away with 5 mags, you probably won't be comfortable with that unless you are an established player. 5x30 is only 150bb's. and 10x30 is only 300. If you are using low caps there's a good chance you are either in a mill sim, or play in a very frugal fashion with ammo, As you adapt to the lower ammo count and probably won't be carrying more ammo (or the games will be ammo limited). It's best to avoid low cap mags unless you want that realism.

For me I tend to run mid caps, but will often have an empty high cap on the webbing and a bottle of bb's either on my kit, or on a mates kit. So if things start to heat up there is a fast reload option available, It's pretty rare I push hard enough to need that high cap in assault but for defence it can be useful.

I own both mid-and-hi-caps. I've found that what I use depends on the scenario played. Winding hi-caps can be a pain in the arse when you stop feeding mid-burst, however having several hundred rounds available can be advantageous as you don't have to reload - something, as a rookie, I still struggle with. My first game I ended up dumping the gun when clumsily trying to reload and switching to the pistol :lol: sorted it out during a lull in the action...

Mid-caps are handy as you don't need to wind and still have decent capacity. Personally I'm not fussed about rattle, shooting and shouting is way more constant and louder than that so no worries for me, although if stealth is your thing that could be an issue, in which case mid-caps help.

21 hours ago, Iceni said:

If you are using low caps there's a good chance you are either in a mill sim, or play in a very frugal fashion with ammo

OR use a gas rifle where 35rds per mag is usual! Once you get used to it you can work around it and know when you can make a shot and when to hold off and get closer. On the plus side carrying 6 heavy mags around the field is a great work out!

Mid caps for me. I started with, like many, hicaps but disliked the rattle as I like the sneaky style.

Generally I'll carry four mid caps roughly 80rnds each and then leave a bag at a spawn point with bbs and loaded mags if playing with a gbbr.

I do love really cap/low cap mags, and the way they force you to think and play and you do need more of them but the spawn bag really helps if your not used to carrying a lot of gas mags as they can weigh a bit.

5 hours ago, concretesnail said:

I do love really cap/low cap mags, and the way they force you to think and play and you do need more of them but the spawn bag really helps if your not used to carrying a lot of gas mags as they can weigh a bit.

I'd like to play a game during the day with forced mid-cap capacity (can be done with hi-caps too but you have to trust the players).  I know some places have ammo limits.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
1 hour ago, EDcase said:

I'd like to play a game during the day with forced mid-cap capacity (can be done with hi-caps too but you have to trust the players).  I know some places have ammo limits.

🤣Trust, in Airsoft lol, I stopped trusting feckers when my team turned up at longmoor for a game that had been very publicly advertised as lo-caps only, with ammo limits, only to find we were pretty much the only people not using hi-caps, it was a badly run hosefest & we vowed never to return.

On 13/04/2021 at 22:37, Dacks_18 said:

Hang on... hang on I'm taking notes and you're talking really fast.

"No ... kitchen sink... okay, got it"

On 13/04/2021 at 23:33, Adolf Hamster said:

Dont listen to him, he'll see the light once he see's us having a proper tea and crumpets on proper tables and plates rather than eating beans out of the tin in a muddy hole.

A gentleman must have standards y'know......

This is the debate I am having with myself at the moment for an up coming weekender. It is tough choices all round.

As to mids vs hi-caps? I am definitely a bit of both. With my first game back this sunday coming I will be taking 4 hi caps and be expecting the refill at lunch. No I dont care, its been too long. However I have ordered a load of midcaps and I am looking forward to the change and challenge.

As someone mentioned hicaps for a dug in defence are fun to keep the attackers heads down. 

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

This is the debate I am having with myself at the moment for an up coming weekender. It is tough choices all round.

As to mids vs hi-caps? I am definitely a bit of both. With my first game back this sunday coming I will be taking 4 hi caps and be expecting the refill at lunch. No I dont care, its been too long. However I have ordered a load of midcaps and I am looking forward to the change and challenge.

As someone mentioned hicaps for a dug in defence are fun to keep the attackers heads down. 

Weekender ?.......... More milsim with tactical objectives etc ? & less of the usual "in your face" non stop firefights of a regular game day ?

If that's the case then I'd say mids/Lo's ftw, gives a more authentic element to the event.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.