Kings Arms Svd Gas 'Burst Fire' Upgrade Issues

Sootstick

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

Recently landed a Kings Arms SVD, she's an old girl that I am looking to restore her and get her up and running. A few airsoft buddies recommended to upgrade it to a gas system and so I promptly did. Installation was easy and no hick-ups went to test fire it and found its no longer a single action but a burst fire....interesting and not the result I was looking for! 

Managed to get some slow motion footage of the action in play and clearly shows the housing reciprocating 2-4 times. 

Does anyone have any experience with SVD gas upgrades and have a solution for the issue I am having,

Many thanks in advance,

A reluctant burst fire SVD owner.

23 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

do you have a link to the kit you installed?

Spent all day looking for a link to the original kit, but cannot locate it at all. And no longer advertised, I can strip and send picture of the components if that helps?

• Supporters

i had a scout around and it looks similar to the airsoftpro one?

at least in concept, the one i found was advertised as putting out "you have to be joking" fps so i wonder if the version you have has had some different springs/tweaks to bring it down to something sensible?

is there an o-ring around the outside of the moving section? if so is it a relatively tight fit to the cylinder?

28 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i had a scout around and it looks similar to the airsoftpro one?

This seams close, i was also thinking it was the airsoftpro one.

https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/accessories-conversion-kits-gbb-mag-co2-conversion-kit-for-a-k-svd.html

29 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

at least in concept, the one i found was advertised as putting out "you have to be joking" fps so i wonder if the version you have has had some different springs/tweaks to bring it down to something sensible?

The friend who sent this over to me said its scary ridiculous FPS which wont make it legal/viable in most UK airsoft venues.

31 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

is there an o-ring around the outside of the moving section? if so is it a relatively tight fit to the cylinder?

nope, had a look at other systems and they are similar with no O-ring, I've attached an image of the internals for ref. I am wondering if this kit is bogus and should look towards finding a different kit.

IMG_0190.jpg

• Supporters

I think the o-ring might be the trick here, the airsoftpro one has one and i can see that really damping out the bounce.

As for the fps i'm not sure, a shorter inner barrel would help although by how much i dont know, issue is that thing's just venting co2 straight down the barrel.

Maybe a spacer in front of the cylinder to shorten how much the valve can open, or maybe tap a grup screw into the nozzle and have a smaller hole to restrict flow. These systems tend to have quite fine balance to them so going to that level of tweaking can end up going very wrong very fast.

To be honest, if it were me, i'd just go back to spring operation. You have to pull the charging handle back anyway so i dont really see what this is really offering you in terms of an advantage over the standard system.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.