Choosing First RIF

pyro88

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

Looking into buying first airsoft rif, mostly do CQB so far but would consider doing some outdoor too.

I am stuck between two tiers of price really, I have been looking at Arthurian mordred in the store before lockdown at a £300 price point:

https://bombupairsoft.co.uk/products/arthurian-airsoft-excalibur-mordred-sandstone-m4-aeg?variant=31130619609191

However I also saw this at £185 which also has mosfet, comes with two mid cap mags...

https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/assault-rifles/electric-aeg-rifles/m4/specna-arms-rra-sa-e05-edge-with-gate-mosfet/

Can anyone help me out with some opinions between the two?

Many thanks all :)

edit: having done some research in this forum people also seem to recommend cyma platinum?

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-097d-platinum-edition?pv=11617

Edited by pyro88

4 minutes ago, pyro88 said:

Hi all

Looking into buying first airsoft rif, mostly do CQB so far but would consider doing some outdoor too.

I am stuck between two tiers of price really, I have been looking at Arthurian mordred in the store before lockdown at a £300 price point:

https://bombupairsoft.co.uk/products/arthurian-airsoft-excalibur-mordred-sandstone-m4-aeg?variant=31130619609191

However I also saw this at £185 which also has mosfet, comes with two mid cap mags...

https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/assault-rifles/electric-aeg-rifles/m4/specna-arms-rra-sa-e05-edge-with-gate-mosfet/

Can anyone help me out with some opinions between the two?

Many thanks all :)

I can give testament to the specna sa-e05.

I have same gnu.

It looks good and performs great.

Solid build with no rattles or loose bits.right up there on power and shoots straight. For a budget gnu I would say take a punt.👍

Regards 

• Supporters

If you’ve got the beer tokens I’d get the Mordred , I’ve actually got one and it’s hands down one the best feeling AEG’s I’ve ever owned absolutely love it . I know it hasn’t got a mosfet like the other one and it’s the most expensive but with me it’s the ‘feel and curb appeal’ that matters the most , if I like a gun I know I’ll play better with it . Classic example the EVO a lot of players recon it’s the best gun going basically for every style of play , me ? I just don’t like the look of it bloody hate them and would never own one because of this .
Add bonus the Mordred’s got excellent performance as well ! 😁👍

this is my one .

4F9D3A2A-AA6D-4966-A192-4C1A25318177.jpeg

• Supporters

Ahh didn’t know there sticking mosfets in them now as well(mines 3yr old?) won’t deny its heavy but it does feel bombproof, I’m pretty confident that if I go arse over tip I’ll break before it does ! 🤣

Just to confuse things more...

I've got the Specna SA-E03

One of my best shooting pews.  Solidly built, snappy action and accurate.

Its going to be a dilemma for you because if you don't get the expensive one you'll always be wondering if it would be better.

(It may be a bit better but certainly not by the same ratio as the price difference)

To be honest I would expect a more compact sub gnu to be more useful for CQB.  (They can still perform well enough for outdoor events too)

Edited by EDcase

Thanks for the replies all.

Yeah I am trying to make judgements on price vs benefit, as you say it's a tough call. I realised there are many "e" type specnas, I found this one which I'm giving some serious thought to. Has a mosfet (though will it be a good one at that price point)

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e11-edge-carbine

Decisions decisions!!! :)

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

If you’ve got the beer tokens I’d get the Mordred , I’ve actually got one and it’s hands down one the best feeling AEG’s I’ve ever owned absolutely love it . I know it hasn’t got a mosfet like the other one and it’s the most expensive but with me it’s the ‘feel and curb appeal’ that matters the most , if I like a gun I know I’ll play better with it . Classic example the EVO a lot of players recon it’s the best gun going basically for every style of play , me ? I just don’t like the look of it bloody hate them and would never own one because of this .
Add bonus the Mordred’s got excellent performance as well ! 😁👍

this is my one .

4F9D3A2A-AA6D-4966-A192-4C1A25318177.jpeg

I think that gnu is running hot judging by all the blood splatters!

🤭

Regards 

All the 'Edge' range of Specnas have the X-ASR mosfet.  Its really only for protecting the trigger contacts and doesn't have the fancy programming, precocking or active breaking features (which can be a problem)

But it shoots well and feels solid so its really down to what shape you want your BB flinging toy to look like 😉

Edited by EDcase

Yeah I don't think I need any fancy features just wanted to protect the contacts as you just said. 

I will want to put a tracer on it, just studying the edge 11 at the moment to see how that would stitch together.

Getting addicted to roaming around finding ways to tinker with it and I don't even have it yet!

1 hour ago, pyro88 said:

Getting addicted to roaming around finding ways to tinker with it and I don't even have it yet!

Here's an idea. Get the gat,use it,use it some more, put it away and then use it again. That's how it works.Not, buy gat,fire one shot in garden,tear it apart,get loads of upgrades, rebuild and end up wiv basically same gat as was minus any warranty. Lol.

Oo I know, I'm a luddite cynic! 🤪

Form an orderly line and take a ticket to deliver my admonishment..... 😋🤭

Regards 

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Here's an idea. Get the gat,use it,use it some more, put it away and then use it again. That's how it works.Not, buy gat,fire one shot in garden,tear it apart,get loads of upgrades, rebuild and end up wiv basically same gat as was minus any warranty. Lol.

Regards 

I make you right 👍

32 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Regards 

ahahaha yes ok fair play :D that made me chuckle. I'll leave it alone I promise!! just want to put a tracer on it and I'll be golden I think.

Having done some googling around it seems Arthurian share the same OEM as Specna. I had a look at a slightly higher end specna and came out with this...

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-sa-e12-edge-2-0-tm?pv=15527

so I'm in a quandry. E11 or E12 from specna, or the Mordred from Arthurian.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, EDcase said:

Just to confuse things more...

I've got the Specna SA-E03

One of my best shooting pews.  Solidly built, snappy action and accurate.

Its going to be a dilemma for you because if you don't get the expensive one you'll always be wondering if it would be better.

Funnily enough Specna are the actual OEM for Arthurian airsoft ! They build them to AA specs , bit like the deal TaiwanGun have with Cyma , different gearbox parts , different inner barrels Etc .

9 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Funnily enough Specna are the actual OEM for Arthurian airsoft ! They build them to AA specs , bit like the deal TaiwanGun have with Cyma , different gearbox parts , different inner barrels Etc .

Ah interesting, didn't know that.  I guess its the usual thing, a few OEMs and other companies sprout from modifying them.

Edited by EDcase

Been checking this one out a bit more

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e05-edge-carbine

Seems to tick the boxes. MOSFET, looks like I could put tracer on the end.

I'm at the shop on Saturday to look at the arthurian mordred but not sure I am too keen on it yet. 

Would the e05 stand up in quality and reliability, planning to play twice a month. 

The indecision is real 😀

Not sure you can put a tracer on that one but I don't know it so could be wrong.

I think the Edge range are good value and will be fine for many game days.

Make sure to clean the barrel as soon as you get it.

And as with any new purchase, test a mag full before throwing away the box etc. (Keep the box if you can for re-sale)

Edited by EDcase

Large edit: realised the e05 has a flash hider that goes some way into the hand guard.

Did yet more googling and am now looking at the e08!

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e08-edge-carbine

This seems much closer to what I want at first glance. Mosfet, able to put tracer on the end, just need to see some reviews

As always thoughts much appreciated from you kind folks!!!

Edited by pyro88

• Supporters
On 11/04/2021 at 17:33, Druid799 said:

Specna don't even OEM their own guns!

The Arthurians are made by E&C who USED to OEM the Specna's. I had one of the original SA-A03 rifles made by E&C and it's been absolutely stellar.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Specna don't even OEM their own guns!

The Arthurians are made by E&C who USED to OEM the Specna's. I had one of the original SA-A03 rifles made by E&C and it's been absolutely stellar.

Ahh fairy muff was just going by what the guy in Socomtactical said when I bought it .👍

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Ahh fairy muff was just going by what the guy in Socomtactical said when I bought it .👍

Sounds about right! Lovely chaps but not always spot on.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

As far as I'm aware E&C are still the guys on the original Specna One Series, which is why they are still the best in the range.

Well you should know...

I honestly thought they'd dropped E&C completely.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.