Weird Dpm Shirt?

Armo1000

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

11 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

desert dpm someone's dyed green

seen a vest done somewhat similar, field expedient and suppose you could argue doesn't look that bad.

That could very much be so. However i do think it looks a little too factory fresh looking to be a field mod. 

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Piman said:

Given that the label looks to have green tinges I would go with dyed.

it does look odd that the stitching and button loops look relatively uncoloured, but i'm guessing they just didn't take the dye.

• Supporters

Definitely dyed, I did something similar to some German desert kit, came out almost identical.

Yep my now blue tiger top came out like that. You also find desert DPM dyed Lighter green. I read some where dyed for training exercises to differentiate between factions.

Edited by heroshark

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I've got a set of mtp thats been dyed green, actually now works in woods !

254.jpg

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Armo1000 said:

Lol isnt that what standard DPM is for?

shhhh don't tell the mtp brigade their camo doesn't work in woodland otherwise they might pick something good :P

38 minutes ago, Armo1000 said:

Lol isnt that what standard DPM is for?

Certainly is ! and it's my usual 'go to' I actually inherited the green mtp from a mate . But at least mtp can be made to work somewhere

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

shhhh don't tell the mtp brigade their camo doesn't work in woodland otherwise they might pick something good :P

Lol, mtp doesn't actually work anywhere 🤣

Edited by Nick G

This was done right at the beginning of the Afghan experience.  Lads in Helmand were issued standard Desert DPM only to find that they stuck out like a sore thumb in the green zones that make up the central valleys in Helmand, so they dyed their Desert DPM green.  It was the reasoning behind the procurement of MTP.

14 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

This was done right at the beginning of the Afghan experience.  Lads in Helmand were issued standard Desert DPM only to find that they stuck out like a sore thumb in the green zones that make up the central valleys in Helmand, so they dyed their Desert DPM green.  It was the reasoning behind the procurement of MTP.

This lot, 2 Rifles covered by Michael Yon

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it does look odd that the stitching and button loops look relatively uncoloured, but i'm guessing they just didn't take the dye.

Its because the thread is 100% synthetic so won’t take up the dye , it’s manufactured from polymers in the colours needed  .👍

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Its because the thread is 100% synthetic so won’t take up the dye , it’s manufactured from polymers in the colours needed  .👍

Sounds about right.

Tbh the complexities of how dyes in clothing work are a mystery to me, for example how they do repeatable camo patterns in the first place.

One of these days i must look it up i'm sure the process is interesting.

Mtp does work in tall dry grass.   For UK woodlands not so much.  Digi flora or tiger is way better.

Not as bad as ucp though. Saw a dude running that and he may as well have been glowing 

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Sounds about right.

Tbh the complexities of how dyes in clothing work are a mystery to me, for example how they do repeatable camo patterns in the first place.

Its called screen printing if you want to look it up.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Sounds about right.

They make the fabric in the base colour then print each individual colour on to the roll of fabric one at a time .

• Supporters

Most camo printing pretty much looks like this (that I've ever seen).

If you've ever said 'X does not work in Y wide-range multitude of environments' sorry you just did little other than prove you don't actually know much about camo patterns, using camouflage, fieldcraft and understanding terrains.

DPM has a load of black and light tan in it (highly contradictory, not without reason but still not ideal), it's a camo designed in the 1960s when they had incredibly limited design and printing technologies compared to now.  It can be fine in very dark environments, but by modern standards it is a poor camo pattern and colourway.  Same applies for many of the iconic old pre-2000 camos that people get weirdly sentimental over as if nothing could've been made that's better since then.  Basically the same mentality as people who cling to NiMh batteries.

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

If you've ever said 'X does not work in Y wide-range multitude of environments' sorry you just did little other than prove you don't actually know much about camo patterns, using camouflage, fieldcraft and understanding terrains.

depends how far you want to take that statement as to wether or not i'd agree.

yes you have a point that if you know what you're doing in terms of sneakyness you can bypass the deficiencies of a particular pattern.

the patterns designed pre-90's for a european theatre of war (ie germany) which have similar enough climate to the uk that the forest patterns match up nicely compared to those designed for the more modern conflicts we're seeing in the middle east. add in the cheap milsurp prices and that's why they're popular.

of course folk can wear what they like to the airsoft fashion show, and folks wearing mtp are doing so for the same reasons i'm wearing digiflora- because it's close enough and we like it, rather than being the perfect choice for the environment.

besides it's all academic when you get shot by someone in a deadpool onsie

• Supporters

I’ve always been of the opinion(yes I know my point of view on people’s opinions is well known!💩😂)is field craft will always win what ever your wearing , obviously if your in camo your on to a good starting point but even if your wearing the perfect gillie suit for the environment if your stomping around Making noise and obvious movements then your going to get bumped where as the guy in desert camo who Fully understands the principles of field craft will win every time . 

• Supporters

Not unless your wearing Crye etc, then your clearly superior to everyone else 😏

DPM is a development of the Dennison smock hand brushed camo patterns IIRC.   Designed, as mentioned above, for Northern Europe; and painted by hand.  Times move on.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.