Hello! New Wannabe From Exeter!

Dacks_18

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi! Keen to get started, when all this mess blows over.

From the Exeter area, early thirties and always been interested but never had the balls to give it a go! I don't have guns yet but I have an idea of what I'd like, unsure if it's better to buy some two-tone ones or rent them onsite until I get registered (Done a little research) so curious for your opinions!

Hope to meet you all soon!

Edited by Dacks_18
Spelling error, wrote pHi at the start

Welcome.

If you read some of the many posts relating to buying two-tone you'll see that its always advised to rent for the first three games to get UKARA registered.

If you get two-tone you will regret it after three games because you'll want a black one and the two-tones are harder to sell so you'll lose quite a bit of money.

Plus you may change your mind about what you want.

Give it a go renting first...

Edited by EDcase

Cheers EDcase I appreciate that, I came to that same conclusion by reading other posts so I'm glad to get a bit of confirmation on it.

Hoping to join in on a game in Devon/South West, hopefully with you fine people (So I don't have to just turn up to a random stag-do..!)

Hi and welcome to the airsoft asylum. You don't have to be mad to be a member but it helps.🤪

As @EDcasesays get.yourself along to a club,use their kit and when you have done your 3 games get a nice shiny rif of your choice.

I've no doubt you will meet some nice people at your chosen site who will help and guide you on the airsoft path👍

Check out @GAMBLE for info and helpful advice. Find him on the tube👀

Have fun🙂

Regards  

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

Hi and welcome to the airsoft asylum. You don't have to be mad to be a member but it helps.🤪

Haha, brilliant! That's good to know!

Good advice though, so you reckon it's better just to turn up?

Do you guys on this forum organise games between members?

7 minutes ago, Dacks_18 said:

Haha, brilliant! That's good to know!

Good advice though, so you reckon it's better just to turn up?

Do you guys on this forum organise games between members?

Well yeah.find a club give them a call to book a spot and reserve some rental kit and turn up,sign in,take some id,pref photo and take it from there. Dress sensibly(try to completely cover up). The organisers will take you through the procedures and how to use the kit. 

You will soon start talking to others there. Listen to instructions and start playing. Just follow what your team are doing and thats about it.👍

Yes I think forum members do occasionally organise games. 

Someone on here will tell you more.

Let us know how you get on.🤞🙂

Regards 

I think most of us started on our own.

It may seem intimidating at first but just go with the flow and see what everyone else is doing.  Have a chat with others on your bench and you'll get lots of info.

There aren't many organised teams so during the games most will run off in their own directions.  Just follow along with any bunch you like until you get a feel for the layout of the game zone.

As far as AFUK meetups: I meet a couple of people who are on here but I met them at airsoft events first.  We're so spread around the country that we can't do large meetups.

2 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

...(So I don't have to just turn up to a random stag-do..!)

Hopefully not.  They're some of the worst players

Edited by EDcase

Hi @Dacks_18! 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started, hopefully soon!🤞👍

Get your games in, then you can sort out your RIF, you can sort out your BDU Loadout in the the mean time? 🤔

Shoutout @Shamal and agree with the rest on here! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

13 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

Cheers @EDcase that's good advice.

Yeah I've heard wonderful things about stag-do Airsoft.... Not.

I want to take it seriously enough to play by the rules and do it properly, but not so seriously that it isn't fun - a middle ground! 

Stick by those ideals and you will go far...👍🙂

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Hi and Welcome from a North Devonian ! There ar a few sites in the area , consider a trip to Survival near Torrington. Friendly bunch of players.

Nick

55 minutes ago, Dacks_18 said:

Cheers Nick - I just might do that..!

(I will!)

Let me know when you do 👍

Welcome to the Forum and the sport.  

Can't add anything other than the advice you've already been given regarding buying a two-tone 🤢

This is a great place to get advice from some very experienced players, so as you (hopefully) get into it, don't be afraid to come on here and ask questions. It's helped me a lot. 

So again, welcome, wear sensible footwear, don't skimp on eye-pro (those two should be at the top of your purchasing list imo before a RIF) call your hits and, above all, have fun. Oh, and be sure to spend a few last quality moments with your bank balance. You'll soon be parting ways 😆

6 hours ago, Nick G said:

Let me know when you do 👍

You're actually not the first to recommend Survival, so I had a look on the website and they don't have any half-day slots available on weekends, is a full-day usually the done thing?

I want to try asap so I may just take the plunge and do either Sunday 25th, or Sunday 2nd for a full day. 

What sort of guns are they going to loan me if I hire one? Two-tone nerf vortex? 😂

6 minutes ago, Dacks_18 said:

You're actually not the first to recommend Survival, so I had a look on the website and they don't have any half-day slots available on weekends, is a full-day usually the done thing?

I want to try asap so I may just take the plunge and do either Sunday 25th, or Sunday 2nd for a full day. 

What sort of guns are they going to loan me if I hire one? Two-tone nerf vortex? 😂

You are better off doing full day really cause by time you get bombed up,registered,listen to the,sometimes long,briefing, nearly half the day is gone lol. Not quite but once you get started you will find time goes quick.

Haha no not a nerf.different sites seem to favour different gats.so its hard to say for sure but generally site gnus are pretty good.

Regards  

11 minutes ago, Dacks_18 said:

Do a full day, you'll be having too much fun to want to do a half !. Not sure what their rentals are these days ,but they are reliable and get the job done. I'm actually booked in myself for 2nd May , more than happy to show you around etc if you book for that one.

Okay, full day it is.

So how many people typically turn up to this kind of thing?

I appreciate it varies by site, but for the sake of argument let's say Survival near Torrington.

And what, I just turn up and I get put into a team? Or is it like school football getting picked last!? 😂

16 hours ago, Shamal said:

Haha no not a nerf.

Haha yeah I imagine Nerfs are a bit too advanced for beginners, have you seen the size of those darts compared to BBs!? 

4 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

Okay, full day it is.

So how many people typically turn up to this kind of thing?

I appreciate it varies by site, but for the sake of argument let's say Survival near Torrington.

And what, I just turn up and I get put into a team? Or is it like school football getting picked last!? 😂

Haha yeah I imagine Nerfs are a bit too advanced for beginners, have you seen the size of those darts compared to BBs!? 

At the moment they are limiting to 30 players which makes for nice tactical play. In terms of teams, it's often one barn against the other but you can request to be on the same side if there is someone you know. Safe zone is sub devided at the moment to keep everyone spaced apart for covid. 

7 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

And what, I just turn up and I get put into a team? 

Yeah but like I say call first to book and reserve rental gear. Then after signing in the organisers will assign you a colour.

🙂👍 

9 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

Okay so, so Survival in Torrington has a spot this Sunday, so I'ma probs gonna go along to that just to see what the crack is, and go from there.

If I love it, which I'm sure I will, I'll go to the one on the 2nd May as well, which should give me time to heal a million BB exit wounds.

I'm sure you will enjoy it as you're going into it with a good attitude and understanding. 

Let us know how you get on.

9 hours ago, Dacks_18 said:

Okay so, so Survival in Torrington has a spot this Sunday, so I'ma probs gonna go along to that just to see what the crack is, and go from there.

If I love it, which I'm sure I will, I'll go to the one on the 2nd May as well, which should give me time to heal a million BB exit wounds.

Go along, get chatting to folk and have fun ! 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.