Dying Camo From Desert/Green to Blue/Black (Vegetato)

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all.

Some of you are aware of my new but fading Vegetato trousers. I had put them up for sale but I am having a rethink about what to do with them. 

I came across these two Variants of Vegetato, the Navy/Blue one and a one off wargames dyed Black one.

chiara12.thumb.jpg.90b85936535c0da7e5daeb2de9e0e0d5.jpg1000w_35.jpg.ac086d5fb453d5cb9d51f99b9ce8b70a.jpg

Here are my trousers.

20210329_224419.thumb.jpg.15a3d6f38dd41818f09f2722da7c7eb9.jpg20210329_224501.thumb.jpg.086947db044c99e9f3bcd53bb6480b8a.jpg

Do you think its possible to get the Blue Navy effect using something like Blue Dylon? Essentually turning the tan/green and brown colours into blue? Should I use a light or dark blue colour?

Alternatively I do like the obviously dyed Black of the second photo (You can see the Ripstop and poly stitching)

Anyone tried dying camo before? Do you think I could get a decent Blue?

Edited by Asomodai

Depending on the colour of the dying blue - maybe a bright blue diluted 30-70 dye/water and using a synthetic dye (the hot water type) might get something but I doubt it will get close to the colour of the navy uniform.

• Supporters

You won’t get a blue even vaguely like the navy vegatato I’m afraid to say , the base colour On the woodland is darker than the base on the Naval . It will come out a strange green colour due to the Woodland colours on your trousers . Worked a couple of yrs in a printing business so I lived colour overlaying bloody day in day out ! 🤦‍♂️😖

3 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

You won’t get a blue even vaguely like the navy vegatato I’m afraid to say , the base colour On the woodland is darker than the base on the Naval . It will come out a strange green colour due to the Woodland colours on your trousers . Worked a couple of yrs in a printing business so I lived colour overlaying bloody day in day out ! 🤦‍♂️😖

Darn. I figured as much. Thanks for the advice!

I think black is the answer 😕

Edited by Asomodai

I've seen attempts to produce blue lizard from dyeing tigerstripe with blue dye.   Looked awful TBH, as described above it was a weird aqua greenish.   

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Darn. I figured as much. Thanks for the advice!

I think black is the answer 😕

Doesn’t have to be black mind could use any dark colour you wanted a deep navy would look good , once did a set of desert in a really dark purple for the misses that turned out rather funky .👍😁

8 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Doesn’t have to be black mind could use any dark colour you wanted a deep navy would look good , once did a set of desert in a really dark purple for the misses that turned out rather funky .👍😁

I really like the black/blue hue in the photo. My guess is they used Black dye for natural fibers so the poly ripstop squares and stitching still shows. But because of the base brown tan and green the black is sorta blueish. 

Is that a reasonable assumption in your professional opinion? Or should I go for a synthetic dye? My trousers are 35/65 poly/cotton.

8 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I really like the black/blue hue in the photo. My guess is they used Black dye for natural fibers so the poly ripstop squares and stitching still shows. But because of the base brown tan and green the black is sorta blueish. 

Is that a reasonable assumption in your professional opinion? Or should I go for a synthetic dye? My trousers are 35/65 poly/cotton.

Some interesting reading on dying UCP camo here.

The OP of the topic states that the due will wash out fairly quickly (10 washes).

I very nearly dropped you a message @Asomodai to buy them off you. If you choose not to go down the dye route, let me know.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Asomodai said:

As far as I can remember back in the dim distant past Sir is pretty much spot on with his assumption 👍 you can’t really successfully dye synthetic fibers , you can certainly stain them (we all know that curry stain that never came out of your rugby jersey !🤬)but you won’t get a uniform colour on synthetics . Main reason for fading after dyeing is most use cold water dyes and not fixing the dye properly , for best results you really need to use hot water ones and fix them exactly as the instructions say too . As to which to use me personally I’d always go for synthetic dyes . 😉

11 hours ago, Asomodai said:

use RIT synthetic dye it’s great for 35%+ polyester combo’s but a cold water dye like dylon would still show the stitching if you want that to show

Edited by MiK

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, magaz said:

To get it close to the naval pattern, you could try dying a pair of the arid Vegetata trousers, https://www.camopedia.org/index.php?title=File:Italy22.jpg the pattern doesn't have black though, so it wouldn't be identical, but it would take a blue dye better than the woodland pattern 

lol. The OP no longer owns the trousers - they are now in my kit bag.

I like your YT channel BTW, I own an ICS CXP-15 based off your videos. Bought a couple other ICS guns since that one too.

1 hour ago, magaz said:

How's the CXP15K holding up? It's been a little while (aside from the Covid hiatus) since I've run mine. I'll have to dust off the cobwebs and give it a spin soon

Good. I'm running mine with an ICS Stubby fixed stock. It's my CQB gun - super pointable - I love it. Only basic upgrades done - all ICS - bearing spring guide, o-ring nozzle etc.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.